Who will win the FIFA world cup?
Jun 23, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #136 of 495
that's OK, I wasn't really looking for serious debate, just trying to point out that there are much deeper issues for US soccer to overcome in order to make that step up in quality.

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #139 of 495
I don't think it is popular enough in the US for it to function like it does in the rest of the world.  Without a closed competition, and support from MLS, the league wouldn't last very long.  Let's say a team gets relegated.  Who would come up?  Teams in the USL probably couldn't make the transition to the top, interest would ebb, and MLS would be in trouble.  It's not popular to start with, and there is a huge amount of risk involved.  I agree that quality will improve with a survival of the fittest mentality, but we can't afford it, so we'll have to deal with it.
I like to see well worked goals too, but they all count, and it's great to see people be quick on their feet.  The surprise goal can be as entertaining as a unstoppable buildup.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #140 of 495
The US team may not have the best individuals but they are entertaining to watch. They didn't complain when the got on the wrong end of some decisions and kept going untill the last whistle. I'm glad they went through to the next round. Now they have a bit of luck that they won't face any of the european or south american giants untill the semi's. It' not unthinkable that they will win from Ghana in the first knock-out round and from Uruguay/South korea in the quarter finals.

I'm already looking forward to the England-Germany game, that's always a classic

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #141 of 495
Uruguay are looking really good, very balanced side and I can see them beating anyone. Argentina haven't yet succumbed to Maradona's eccentricity, England as a group are far less than the sum of the individuals, Ghana will enjoy the 'home' side support - this half of the group is tough to predict. First week was mostly dull, but now this World Cup is getting good.

Quote:
I'm already looking forward to the England-Germany game, that's always a classic

but will you be cheering on England for this one?  or is the Dutch desire stronger to beat the Germany in the final?

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #142 of 495
Honestly, I don't think England has a good chance of beating Germany if they play the way they did in the past three games.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #143 of 495

Quote:
but will you be cheering on England for this one?  or is the Dutch desire stronger to beat the Germany in the final?

Me and my friends always predict every game (1/8, quarter and semi) finalists during an EC or WC. I don't know the english word for this.

In any case, I always predict Germany to be the winner just because it pisses a lot of people of when you're supporting them. So Actually I will be cheering for the Germans. However, I think that every other dutch man will find it highly amusing when they are eliminated. Nothing personal off course, Germany simply are considered to be the biggest rival from a dutch point of view ever since 1974....

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #145 of 495
Nothing surprising IMO - Italy didn't deserve to advance with this kind of awful gameplay. They sure have the potential as was shown in the last few minutes of this game with the Slovaks. But up until the last few minutes, the Italians played like crap IMO, especially considering that they are the former world champions! Slovakia worked hard and deserved this win! Go home Italy and I hope you learn the lesson - that in order to compete at this level, you need to work hard!

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #146 of 495
Oh my, germans have so much luck... 

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #147 of 495

Quote:
Nothing surprising IMO - Italy didn't deserve to advance with this kind of awful gameplay. They sure have the potential as was shown in the last few minutes of this game with the Slovaks. But up until the last few minutes, the Italians played like crap IMO, especially considering that they are the former world champions! Slovakia worked hard and deserved this win! Go home Italy and I hope you learn the lesson - that in order to compete at this level, you need to work hard!

I'm over the moon that Slovakia are through, though I'd say they showed a fair bit of skill too, especially in the goals.   And I don't think Italy lacked hard work - they did a lot of attacking (more than a typical Italy team), but with Pirlo injured they were just short of imagination.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #148 of 495
Maradona had his first eccentricity, he was discussing a replacement at the end of the match with greece, and the 2 other assistants said "Higuain", then Maradona chose "Palermo".

It turned in the oldest debutant to score a goal (A guy that playing for Argentina once missed 3 penalty kicks in a single match).

I'm surprised of the level of the tournament, the biggest teams are playing worse, and the "little" teams evolved a lot. Some decades ago, Argentina received some players/teams from China/Japan/Korea/Don't remember to coach, and they were hard as wood. Now they can play with any country almost at the same level.

I would like Spain and Chile to classify. I really like spain, one of the best teams with Brazil (I'm not going to talk about Argentina :D)

ps: 3,5yrs and first post... that's weird..

Quote:
Uruguay are looking really good, very balanced side and I can see them beating anyone. Argentina haven't yet succumbed to Maradona's eccentricity, England as a group are far less than the sum of the individuals, Ghana will enjoy the 'home' side support - this half of the group is tough to predict. First week was mostly dull, but now this World Cup is getting good.

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #150 of 495
my tip on Serbia was a huge success :D

I hope for South Korea vs Japan in the finals. Fair play kings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back