Who still has the Sony SA5000?
Jan 8, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #601 of 652
Just saw SA5000 with dragoncable on ebay: Who wnts it too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-SA5000-Headband-Headphones-Silver-Black-/271734367813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f44a16645&rmvSB=true

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #602 of 652
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-SA5000-Headband-Headphones-Silver-Black-/271734367813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f44a16645&rmvSB=true

Certainly on my watch list 
wink.gif
. Seems like these SA5000 are getting harder to come by. I've been asked about 4 times in the last 6 months to sell mine 
eek.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #603 of 652

Why on earth would I want two? Because I do. Actually, I'd kind of prefer one stock, since mine are modded, but ya know!

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #604 of 652
It's that I'm now very satisfied with the SQ of SA3000 drivers (got new SA3000 HP $175 in 2010) replaced in my SA5000.
I think the first production of SA5000 drivers were of fragile (bad) quality, it just happened that 1 driver stops working the other day without using the HP.

Anyway due the extra added (thick) black vilt ring above ontop of the (thin) white porous paper ring at back of the SA5000 drivers making sounds too fast piercing shrill/harser/spikey with thin punchy lacking lower basstone, I didn't like the SQ because it made my ears bleedlhurt and got fast listening fatique.

SA3000 drivers have only the white paperring and it function as semi bassport passtru making bass fuller/lower sounding and overall "perfect" balanced SQ.

Jan 8, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #605 of 652
Hello again, my CD/SA brother. :p You know, I actually feel that the CD3k has more piercing/ear bleeding highs than the SA5000, of which I have never really felt any pain or need to turn down the volume. The impedance is higher on the 5ks, so that MIGHT be a reason, but I don't think so. My SA5000s are from 2005-2006, so I'd imagine they are one of the first models, but they're still running strong! Being the careless teenager I was, I did everything with them. I tossed them (not literally tossed, but left them) on the ground, STEPPED on them (by accident!), and they were still okay! Bent the headband, which isn't too noticeable. Well, until my OCD kicked in and I snapped the headband trying to bend it back, but I've made due with a repair that's not very noticeable. I also restored the disappointing pleather half of the leather earpads that flaked away. I'll likely make a new pair entirely out of leather once my lambskin and memory foam shipment comes in as I'll have more than enough to work with.

Ironically, it's like everything but the drivers have screwed up. The cables had to be replaced many times. I remember I sent it in for warranty work way back when, and they came back and STILL messed up. I like these headphones very much as they were my first REAL pair of audiophile phones, a step up from the Sony V700DJs I bought before them (my first better-than-"normal" phones). Soundwise, they have never bothered me and I adore them. Compared to the CD3k, they are very similar (in my... ears). The 3k is a little more "full," but the SA5k is SO fast. They are both very detailed though, and that is what I love.

So to me, despite being a little dinged up, they have a lot of character, they represent my careless adolescence and what I've been through and how I've developed. Okay, maybe I'm being just a little poetic, but hey. I love the SA5ks! I plan on repainting (airbrushing) them as well when I get the chance, maybe a softer metallic color. I ALSO want a stock pair too. I still have the box, the stand, and all that good stuff. Many people seem to lose those! I'm planning to do a detachable cable mod with these, trying to find connectors small enough to fit unobtrusively through the holes of the SA5k's cable ports.

I'd LOVE to own a pair of SA3ks and SA1ks. I want to do a custom job on some 3ks and make them look like the baby Qualias they are, with red leather ear pads and a fabricated CF headband modeled after the SA5k band, give balanced termination on the cups. It's really not so difficult to do!

Anyway, I'm rambling again. Good day to you all!

PS. Have you ever been wearing CD3ks or SA5ks and forget which one you were listening to? That just happened with me.

They're so sonically similar, in my opinion!

Quote:
It's that I'm now very satisfied with the SQ of SA3000 drivers (got new SA3000 HP $175 in 2010) replaced in my SA5000.
I think the first production of SA5000 drivers were of fragile (bad) quality, it just happened that 1 driver stops working the other day without using the HP.

Anyway due the extra added (thick) black vilt ring above ontop of the (thin) white porous paper ring at back of the SA5000 drivers making sounds too fast piercing shrill/harser/spikey with thin punchy lacking lower basstone, I didn't like the SQ because it made my ears bleedlhurt and got fast listening fatique.

SA3000 drivers have only the white paperring and it function as semi bassport passtru making bass fuller/lower sounding and overall "perfect" balanced SQ.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #606 of 652
Cool story bro, yeah before I'm settled with SA5000 and CD3000, I wasted the CD1000 and CD999 first.
SA5000 sounds "partially" similar to CD3000 because the SA5000 is the "last" pinnacle development of the porous biocellulose diaphragm.
SA5000 diaphragm is made Silica/PA66 (Sand/Plastic) Nano-composite material, the nano synthetic imitation and improvement of the biocellulose porous structure,

Sad that with Z7 they stepped back to Aluminum coated Liquid Crystal Polymer (metal/plastic) drivers.
---
My first expensive "highend" HP starts with CD999 with amorphous diamond coated plastic diaphragm, the forefather of biocellulose drivers.
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2F20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com%2FSONY%2FMDR-CD999.html&edit-text=

It sound the "best" at that time to my inexp. ears, but the cups were too tiny, not angled and cramping will hurt my earshells.
And after few year or so, the lousy plastic hinges broke exactly in the of the "C" by hair fracture cracks.
Then the CD1000 with biocellulose dia. came alone, however I wasn't happy with the inbalance of the drivers sounding differently.
So I opened the cups to find the horror, 1 driver isn't the white biocellulose but the lousy x coated plastic dia.
Returned for exchange, after a week got the 2nd pair, however I wasn't happy with the pierching harsh treble.

So I DIY hold the drivers above the damp of cooking water to "soften" the porous dia. and it worked.
Pierching treble is reduced to very good sounding, however after few week, 1 driver died by losing the glue joints of the coil, ouch.

Because the CD999 drivers have exactly the same 50mm size and form, so I put those in CD1000.
Sound alot muffled because its missing the vibrant transients of the porous biocel.
---
I got a brandnew CD3000 with HP case (after the SA5000) for only $180 from online outlet store, I guess they didn't knew the CD3000's value.
CD3000 (casing) sounds alot better than CD1000 despite having "same" drivers.
---
Yeah, I think the SA5000 driver popped by an ON powerspike of the non-muting headamp, I'm doing (un)plug the HP everytime now to be safe.

They both shared the "airly" transients because of the porous dia., my SA5000 sounds best/better than CD3000 with headamp and after the "closed" mod by adding a vinyl piece to cover the "open" backcup grill.
CD3000 has a more wider/spacious/distant soundstage but the bass is looser and bloomier, I use it mainly without headamp because sounding best with portables media/nds/psp/music keyboards etc.

No, I can't mistaken them, SA5000 is the best comfort to me also, its lighter 260gr vs 380gr but CD3000 is better/warmer in the winter.
Yeah, I'm done for now untill these HP die someday.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #607 of 652
I find the CD3000's treble to be rather piercing (strictly) at high volume, even after the 20 year lifespan I'm sure these cans have had, as they are the original black jack version. I don't find the SA5ks to be very harsh on my ears at all. Interesting though, you got your CD3k after the SA5ks too, which is how it went for me as well. What year did you purchase yours?

Is your CD3k black jack as well, or silver? If you managed to get the headphones NOS for $180, I am incredibly jealous! I forget what I paid for mine, but it was around that price, however, in terrible condition! I have missed two recent deals for CD3000s under $100, and it has been rather upsetting. How many more times can people keep selling things they do not understand the value of? Especially online, it's very doubtful. I do not think any local shops here would have them, but I should try looking. I'd love a second (or third) pair of CD3ks.

I would be very very wary to take steam to the CD3k's drivers to try and tame the treble, especially after your own horror story with the CD1ks, I just can't imagine the condensation being a very good thing for the drivers, especially not the voice coil. One would imagine after 20 years and heavy use for the past 5-6 years (they were broken for almost two years before I modified the cable) years, the headphones' drivers would have already softened up considerably. Maybe if you had protected the glue with a waterproof film, the drivers would have lived? If that's viable, I MIGHT try it, but it seems VERY risky in my eyes. You certainly know more about the sonic qualities of headphones than I do. I still consider myself an amateur, yet appreciative audiophile, though I have a deep passion for DIY, albeit more cosmetic and only lightly acoustic, in making my ear pads and working with dampening material, but I have no exact knowledge of it, only general knowledge.

It's very interesting to consider the SA5000's drivers as successors and developments on the biocellulose design; I have heard that the organic nature of the biocellulose makes them very sensitive to environmental factors like mold and aging/rot. I have not yet heard of any of them breaking down from natural degradation, but a lot of people seem to voice concern about this.

I am also interested in owning the CD1000s, myself. I'm quite charmed by the CD series of headphones, and eventually would like to collect most if not all of them. I love Sony's headphone design from around that time. I also love the much older classics from the early 80s before the V6, too, but I'm not quite ready to go exploring there yet. It's kind of interesting how ridiculously similar the first generation CD series headphones all appear to each other. The 850 looks very much like the 1000, but smaller, the 1000 looks very similar to the 3k but slightly different in dimensions and with a different cup design, but when I first saw them, I was awestruck by how similar they looked (and thought they were just black plastic version of the CD3k). They all look like giant eggo headphones. :)

Are you from Japan, CDSA? As far as I know, the more studio reference (V6-inspired) CD series headphones were/are Japan exclusives and quite rare outside of that country. The CD999s are very cool and I'd love to own a pair (along with the CD900ST) eventually.

Yes, I know how there is quite a weight difference between the two. The "floating" nature of the CD3ks, even with a tighter headband, still make them almost disappear on my head. They are very warm, especially with leather ear pads, though my ears tend to not sweat very much at all with headphones, so it's no big deal for me to wear them in summer either. I certainly agree with you that Sony has taken steps away from their innovation and more into catering to mainstream taste and appeal. I stopped following their products very closely after the SA5ks.

I think for a future project, I'd like to take a 1mm sheet of magnesium alloy and create a new headband for the SA5000s. I'd rather not spend $200 on the part from Parts list. My headband is okay, but just in case, I'd like another. I have to admit, I think the minimalism of the SA5ks, while very elegant (and good for DIY!) really cut costs for Sony. The headband is very simple (yet they sell it for $200+?
eek.gif
). All it'd take is some careful setting into shape and making the cut outs for the mesh band and you'd have a good as new headband for the SA5k. :)

Hey, if you ever find a good deal on CD3ks, let me know! :) If I can manage to get another pair of SA5ks (hopefully for not too much), I'll most definitely try the vinyl flooring "closed" mod I've heard about. Yes, the size of the cups does help determine soundstage wideness, no? The CD3ks have giant cups, so I can't imagine the SA5ks, even with a closed mod, sounding as wide.  I have heard some remark that CD900ST is similar to the CD3k. Makes me wonder if it's then similar to the SA5k with the closed mod installed.

Take care!

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #608 of 652
Finally I got the "perfect" replacement SA5000 earpads, its fit perfectly despite the form is round and even edges.

But the medium soft pleather is very good, not too soft like those wrinkly ones and not stiff, although the inner ring is the stiffier layer.
First I got the ATH M50 too small earpads that doesn't fit with its 98mm rounding.
This SA5000 is 105mm and inner 50mm with detachable foam is the best sofar!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=sony+sa5000&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #609 of 652
SA5000 used for sale at ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-SA5000-Headband-Headphones-Silver-Black-/161570851933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259e5f8c5d

start bidding US $295,00
shipping US $55,00

----------------------------

Or NEW SA3000 (heheh) for
US $599,95 and US $49,99 shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-MDR-SA3000-DJ-Stereo-Headphones-MDRSA3000-/370810481549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565606eb8d

!!d5j+jw!mM~$(KGrHgoOKi4EjlLm,WWnBKpd6uumTg~~_35.JPG

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #610 of 652
You should learn how to sew your own earpads, CDSA35000. :D

So I wanted to put detachable cables onto my SA5000s. I looked and looked and at first thought that mini-XLR connectors would be perfect. I was wrong, however, realizing that they'd be muuuch too big. It wasn't until I perused the threads around this place concerning removable cables for in-ear monitors and ear buds that I got the idea that I could use a set of Shure MMCX connectors in order to make the mod without tampering with anything on the SA5000s. This mod was grueling, it was not fun to solder these tiny connectors. I also retained the old cable I had been using, which is a monster at around 13'. I installed male MMCX connectors on that end too, equally as annoying to install, but it worked out in the end. I used a thermoplastic (softens when hot, hardens when cold) to ensure that the connectors would not push out when disconnecting or push in while reconnecting the cables. They are VERY delicate connectors, and I nearly botched the mod many times. $8.99 a pair (I bought two), I wouldn't want to waste money on them. They have no resistance unlike most MMCX connectors, which I suppose why their price is higher.

I used some high quality cables for the connections inside the cups and the sound is just amazing. Now I have a very short cable for listening to things in bed or portably, and a very long cable for listening sessions while walking around my room. :3

I also used PlastiDip to fix scratches and dings in the rubber lining on the mesh headband, I thought it would work perfectly and it did. Just a few layers in the grooves, then buffing them and the finish matches perfectly. I love tinkering with headphones.

The detachable cables were MAINLY wanted to prevent pulls and tugs from causing damage to the cable or drivers. I literally tore the cables out of the cups of my SA5000s once before thanks to an act of stupidity (i.e. standing up while wearing headphones with foot on the cable, thus shortening the length and causing the cable to quickly become taut). This is similarly why I installed detachable connectors in my CD3000. Both are gold-plated and securely fitted and soldered (non-permanent in both cases), and don't detract from the sound at all.

It also doesn't hurt that a cable switch can be done in a snap now. No more soldering, yay!

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #611 of 652
Good that those (detachable) mods is working for you, if you're so careless.
I dislike extra transition/solder links in the signal path as it will only degrade SQ, but most ppl won't notice the "subtile" differences.

At the moment I keep those replacement earpads as spare, because I still like the (semi) peeled pleather originals into bare cloths with the intact front leather piece.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #612 of 652
Finally I got the "perfect" replacement SA5000 earpads, its fit perfectly despite the form is round and even edges.

But the medium soft pleather is very good, not too soft like those wrinkly ones and not stiff, although the inner ring is the stiffier layer.
First I got the ATH M50 too small earpads that doesn't fit with its 98mm rounding.
This SA5000 is 105mm and inner 50mm with detachable foam is the best sofar!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=sony+sa5000&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15

Those pads are not the same as OEM.  Original pads are not flat like that.   Sony Part Number 234530601

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-part-number-234530601.aspx

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #613 of 652
Jan 29, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #614 of 652
Good that those (detachable) mods is working for you, if you're so careless.
I dislike extra transition/solder links in the signal path as it will only degrade SQ, but most ppl won't notice the "subtile" differences.

At the moment I keep those replacement earpads as spare, because I still like the (semi) peeled pleather originals into bare cloths with the intact front leather piece.

I wouldn't call it careless as much as being the product of unfortunate circumstances. If anyone can say they've never at least once tugged their headphone cables by accident, then I'd be incredibly impressed, and you must live in a bubble world. This was just a instance of that combined with the worst odds possible (that, and I was using a super long cable, which is easier to step on).

AFAIK, it sounds BETTER than it did with the hardwired cable, at least to me. I mean, we use interconnects for our systems; there's always going to be a transition point somewhere regardless of what you do, unless you want to hard wire a pair of headphones to your system permanently. Additionally, most modern (and well-regarded) headphones today have detachable cables and the majority of owners out there as far as I have seen don't have problems with it. Let us not forget that the higher end cousins of the SA series, the Qualia headphones, have detachable cables themselves. It certainly helps with the ability to switch cables of desired lengths at will, upgrade to better cable in a synch, and free strain from the drivers and cable itself. I think the positives outweigh any negatives.

I was tempted to sew a new pair of ear pads for my SA5000s, but my restoration of them is satisfactory enough for now. They'd definitely be less of a hassle to sew than the giant CD3000 ear pads.

I'm not a big fan of the flaked off pleather, both aesthetically and sound wise. It's a smoother more aurally rounded sound, but it loses a lot of the qualities I enjoy.

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #615 of 652
AFAIK, it sounds BETTER than it did with the hardwired cable, at least to me. I mean, ...

Thats totally possible depends on the SQ/quality of the sources and if a dedicated HQ headamp is used or not.
The theory is that you don't use a "HQ" external dedicated headamp and connect it directly to the built-in hp-out of a laptop/cd player/receiver/portables/dap/iphone/tablets etc.

Then in that case the extra added transition-impedance/resistance will sound better/less audio fatigue, because it will mask/soften/dampen/muffle/attenuate/filter out the spiking/pierching/clipping/transient distortion etc. caused by those "ïnferior, powerless, low powered, portable amp" hp outputs.
Because those "LQ/low power" amps are over-stressed/loaded to drive a HP properly and they can deliver "pure transient" audio without being overloaded only using an external "HQ" headamp.

Apparently those extra "soft filter" is not beneficial and easily distinguishable when using with HQ headamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back