Who still has the Sony SA5000?
Feb 7, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #617 of 652
Any idea if Audeze pads would fit sonys? Long time ago I tried sa5000 with some huge leather pads that to my recollection increased the bass amount alot and widened the soundstage but maintained the speed and detail I love sa5000 for.

Heh, I just noticed that jvc ha-rx900 pads are a nice fit for sa5000. On a quick listen there were no notable differences in sound but I'm sure more in debth listening would reveal some differences. JVC pads have slightly bigger padlip so vertically the pads are just a bit loose but the fit is so close that these could be mistaken for stock pads by someone who doesn't know sa5000 that well.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #618 of 652
It's quite funny really, I've had my SA5K since about 2008 iirc, and they've just been sat there gathering dust, with barely any time on them at all (less than 50hrs for sure!), but - seeing this thread in my subscription list, just plugged them into my Hugo, and whilst a little sharp on the treble, they're really pretty good - I have to say that I like the bass that they offer - seemingly awesome for EDM - so, they could well be my go to can for that :)

[Edit] Holy Smoke Batman - what've I been missing with these? - they sing really sweetly out of the Hugo - great soundstage, great tonality (turned them down a little and that treble seems tamer now)... Hmmph, if only I'd have thought about this when I got the Hugo a few months back, probably wouldn't have spent out on the Denon D7100, Philips X1 or the Shure 1840!! - Definitely nicer to these ears than the Z1000 that I thought would've replaced them a few years back!!

Oh well, live and learn :)

[Further edit] Going back a few years, I remember the selling point of these being the speed of the drivers, and - yup, can hear that - with the guitar that I'm listening to at the moment, really spot on start / stop / transients - makes me wonder how close these are to the [actual rather than perceived] speed of BA drivers...

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #619 of 652
The ear pads definitely make a difference with these. I honestly prefer the originals myself, but you can buy Sony CD3000s pads on eBay and they will fit this. I think it's a simple matter of measuring the dimensions of the retaining lip and ensuring that they are similar between both. At least that the inner circumference is smaller than the lip. Good luck!

Quote:
  Any idea if Audeze pads would fit sonys? Long time ago I tried sa5000 with some huge leather pads that to my recollection increased the bass amount alot and widened the soundstage but maintained the speed and detail I love sa5000 for.

Heh, I just noticed that jvc ha-rx900 pads are a nice fit for sa5000. On a quick listen there were no notable differences in sound but I'm sure more in debth listening would reveal some differences. JVC pads have slightly bigger padlip so vertically the pads are just a bit loose but the fit is so close that these could be mistaken for stock pads by someone who doesn't know sa5000 that well.

May 10, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #621 of 652
Anyone know if I can get my SA5k's repaired? Something is up with the left driver, it loses sound sometimes

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #624 of 652
  I have been intrigued by what I have read about these headphones for some time and I finally found a pair that are "mint in box" and ordered them. I have a week or so to wait before they arrive. I am eager to say the least. It is a little freighting to get something so long out of production though.
  Right now my "best" headphones are LCD-2's and I like them, but they are not very comfortable for me. I plan on listening through a RWAK240+ with a Cypher Labs Duet amp.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #626 of 652
Hi. I paid $599.00 for them. I hope I did not overpay, but they were like new in box and had all of the paperwork with them.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #627 of 652
A polarising product, but in my mind, some of the best treble found on any headphone, oh and speed... Wow, you couldn't get these to be slow and wallowy even if they were towing a tank...

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #628 of 652
Hi. I paid $599.00 for them. I hope I did not overpay, but they were like new in box and had all of the paperwork with them.

A polarising product, but in my mind, some of the best treble found on any headphone, oh and speed... Wow, you couldn't get these to be slow and wallowy even if they were towing a tank...

New streetprice was $699, the NOS here $1500:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-MDR-SA5000-Headband-Headphones-VERY-RARE-SUPER-AUDIO-STUDIO-HEADPHONES-/191660836221?

The porous diaphragm is able to reproduce lifelike SQ with air but not the stock, unmodded the ruling pierching/spiking/fatigue treble ruined the whole soundspectrum, caused by inner sound reflections/intermodulation resonances in the diaphragm from the hard plastic front housing plate.

You can easily test it, you can't listen without EQ, short/long period at medium/loud volume without that distorted pierching treble will kill your ears!
Without mod sooner or later you'll be looking for something else!

After the closed-back and inner damping mod, the true porous diap. SQ potential is phenomenal where, a balanced real-lifelike 3D surrounding SQ.
3bd62550_IMG_20150411_145943.jpeg

http://www.head-fi.org/t/128397/the-sony-mdr-sa5000-appreciation-thread/289

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #629 of 652
I'm trying to adjust to them now. They are so comfortable, but so different sounding from the LCD2s. To me they almost seem fragile compared to the Audezes.

May 16, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #630 of 652
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I really want to know Does anyone own/ have compare side by side both the SA3000 and AKG K702? Is it worth it to try out the SA3000 (found one new for $135) even after owning the K702? What're each of their strengths and weaknesses?
Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back