Who still has the Sony SA5000?
May 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #571 of 652
Not to mention ed that it look mint and comes with box and stand. However he only sell it to Conus.

I got one too and I like it more than my T1. Mainly because I like using it on my phone than an actual setup.

Anyone here knows if driving it balance would make a night and day difference?

May 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #572 of 652
I use them as my main headphones in my home setup for anything that isn't rock n roll (Grados are the go-to cans for that), as well as movies etc. They're fantastic, lightweight, and very comfortable for long listening sessions as they are light and not clampy.

May 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #573 of 652
Not to mention ed that it look mint and comes with box and stand. However he only sell it to Conus.

I got one too and I like it more than my T1. Mainly because I like using it on my phone than an actual setup.

Anyone here knows if driving it balance would make a night and day difference?

Any headphone from a actual balance amp will sound better but not night and day.  

May 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #574 of 652
Disaster struck...

I received my Corda Classic amplifier which I bought used last week and the amplifier switched on the 1st time absolutely fine. Then today I switched on the amplifier for a 2nd time, after a few second I spotted a spark inside the circuit board through the top ventilating slots, then it was followed by a burning smell coming out from inside the amplifier.

I disconnected the power and open up the amplifier. I found a resistor near the power supplier is burnt and it was where the burning smell come from.

Since when I turned on the amplifier last week, the amplifier was fine. I think the original owner did not cheat on me selling a malfunctioned unit. I wonder if it is still covered under warranty and get it repaired.

Germany and Hong Kong are both at 220V and I was very sure the voltage selector was correctly set at 220V.

I have contacted Meier Audio and I hope the amplifier can be repaired under warranty... Now my SA3000 is back to be with the Arrow 4G...

May 28, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #575 of 652

I don't know about the SA3k but the SA5k housing and headband are both made of aluminum, they are quite sturdy headphones overall except for the cable. Very light too.

Derp.

Well, necessity is the mother of improvisation:

Just missing a crossover cable for the right driver, et voila.

May 29, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #576 of 652
  Disaster struck...

I received my Corda Classic amplifier which I bought used last week and the amplifier switched on the 1st time absolutely fine. Then today I switched on the amplifier for a 2nd time, after a few second I spotted a spark inside the circuit board through the top ventilating slots, then it was followed by a burning smell coming out from inside the amplifier.

I disconnected the power and open up the amplifier. I found a resistor near the power supplier is burnt and it was where the burning smell come from.

Since when I turned on the amplifier last week, the amplifier was fine. I think the original owner did not cheat on me selling a malfunctioned unit. I wonder if it is still covered under warranty and get it repaired.

Germany and Hong Kong are both at 220V and I was very sure the voltage selector was correctly set at 220V.

I have contacted Meier Audio and I hope the amplifier can be repaired under warranty... Now my SA3000 is back to be with the Arrow 4G...

It's probably not a big deal. Either the resistor protected it from an over voltage directly or more likely from the rectifier being fried by same. I don't know nor can view the circuit but that resistor is probably there to open the circuit and prevent a minor repair from becoming a bigger problem. Not a spark but it flamed up from too much current across it.

May 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #577 of 652
No. The spark was from another part of the circuit board, then followed by the blown resistor. I have sent back the amp to Germany for warranty repair this morning. Good service from Meier Audio to honor warranty from the 2nd owner of the amp.

May 29, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #579 of 652
If there is a flash, you can find corresponding physical damage almost every time.

A spark came and went away. Could be a some solder dust causing short circuit somewhere. Not a big flash. I could not keep powering on the amp letting the resistor burn to investigate....

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #581 of 652
Parts number are the same in the manual yes, but someone took them apart at some point and showed they were different. I'll try to hunt down the review when I have some free time later on.

Not all cheaper tube amps are "slow". But then if you prefer using a VST, that's your prerogative. I just gave my opinion.

Here is a SA5000 tear down article (comparing to the Qualia) : http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=675915. There is a picture in the middle showing the SA5000 black color membrane inside the ear cup.

I can confirm that the 1st gen SA5000 made in Japan (i got mine on june 2005) has different drivers.
I bought a SA3000 made in Thailand ($175 from ebay on july 2010) as drivers replacement for 1 blown SA5000 driver, SA5000 driver has one extra thicker black velt coverup on top of the whitepaper velt outer ring, as seen of pictures.
As suspected from SA3/5000 threads, that they are different despite the part no., so instead ordering 1 mismatched driver for same price, better get the SA3000.

Actually the later SA3000/5000 driver do sound better without that extra black velt damping effect, less sharp less punchy, more lackback and less listening fatique.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #582 of 652
I do not know why you find it hard to synergize the SA5k with an amp Mr. Borrego.
Even the cheap hybrid Maverick Audio A-100 kicks butt with the SA5K. Excellent overall sound.

I am waiting for the price to rise when the SA5k becomes a cult :)

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #583 of 652
BTW always disconnect SA5000 before powerup the headamp, 1 driver was blown up from powerup spike of my Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3 even at min. volume control to be save.

Also the pleather around the front real leather disintergrated, so i just wash/peeling all pleather off.
Now they are perfect breathable cloth surround the front leather, not much warm, sweaty ears now.

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #584 of 652
Another SA5000 owner checking in. 

I don't think the SA5000 will rise to the price of the K1000 from AKG, but they've certainly been going for an arm and a leg when they do sell! 

As far as pads, I removed my genuine leather ones and replaced them with some HM5 pads I have. Very similar sounding pads.

Nov 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #585 of 652
Can anyone compare this to Sony's current flagship can?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back