Who still has the Sony SA5000?
Jan 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #541 of 652
They are still one of my favourite headphones, I found them having one of the best drums reproduce out of everything I have heard. I just love drums on it, fast or slow.

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #542 of 652
  They are still one of my favourite headphones, I found them having one of the best drums reproduce out of everything I have heard. I just love drums on it, fast or slow.

O.o
Sounds like you have the PFR-V1 as well. How do they compare with completely different designs?

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #543 of 652

O.o
Sounds like you have the PFR-V1 as well. How do they compare with completely different designs?

SA5000 is in a different league, PFR-V1 doesn't even fit me properly planning to sell it.

Not that the V1 is bad, it is just not my cup of tea nor it fits me properly.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #545 of 652
SA5000 are much more details, and the best imaging in the headphones I have own and tried (D7000, T1, W1000x). It puts you in the music and sometimes quite forward sounding.

The PFR-V1 which I also have together with the SA5000 now,  PFR-V1 sounds with better soundstage (SA5000 does not really have a soundstage), but the Mids, Treble and Bass seem much further back, SA5000 puts you in front or further back depending on the music and recording, normally front and forward, PFR-V1 is in the back seat.

Resolution wise, SA5000 beats the PFR-V1 in all aspects, but the PFR-V1 sounds good and light to be use as casual listening and movie, and particularly eerily good at quiet and night time.

Separation on SA5000 is also better, the PFR-V1 on Pico Amp DAC sounds a little congested and the instruments are almost merge together if they are really close to each other. You will definitely hear them from left to front to the right. But then, it is definitely fun to wear and listen from a PFR-V1.

I will keep the PFR-V1 for the unique presentation and design. I didn't like the T1 for some reason (Boring but Great sounding)  but prefers the D7000 (Fun Sounding), I need to learn to love my T1 (Used only straight out the Samsung S3 or the Meier Audio Concerto Amp). Plus, the PFR-V1 are made in my country :p

The PFR-V1 sounds a great deal at probably USD300 as below mint/New, but it is not a challenger to rival with even the W1000x due to the resolution of the sound.

Sorry, I just randomly write out what I feel without going into details, impression based on SA5000 last night and the PFR-V1 now. T1 were last week.

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #546 of 652
How hot are the trebles on the sa5000? I've been tempted to get this after reading up on the web that it sounds very similar to the etys. Reading up impressions on the net, some say that it is brighter than the k70x, which already gives off some ear-piercing treble. How true is this, and how does it compare to other cans such as the ad900x?
I listen to mainly electronica, but I prefer a sound that has less emphasis on bass, and more on clarity.
I use a ety hf5, and I don't think it is bright at all, but could use a little less bass.
Since I'm new here, I apologise if this post is in the wrong section.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #547 of 652
How hot are the trebles on the sa5000? I've been tempted to get this after reading up on the web that it sounds very similar to the etys. Reading up impressions on the net, some say that it is brighter than the k70x, which already gives off some ear-piercing treble. How true is this, and how does it compare to other cans such as the ad900x?
I listen to mainly electronica, but I prefer a sound that has less emphasis on bass, and more on clarity.
I use a ety hf5, and I don't think it is bright at all, but could use a little less bass.
Since I'm new here, I apologise if this post is in the wrong section.

The treble can be harsh if not paired with a tube amp. It depends what kind of amp/source you have.

For electronica honestly, you won't find a better pair of headphones no matter the price (imo), especially if you don't want a bass heavy headphone but detail and clarity, it sounds like these are perfect for you.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #549 of 652
  im using a schiit magni/modi. can equalisation help with the harshness?

Never tried them on Schiit gear so I don't know just how much, but ultimately yes, equalization will definitely help. However, for these headphones to really sing, a tube amp is a must. They're a rare breed in the way that they really open up with tubes while keeping that level of detail they're loved for.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #550 of 652
How hot are the trebles on the sa5000? I've been tempted to get this after reading up on the web that it sounds very similar to the etys.

You get used to it, I can compare them to the DT880's, which are worse IMO, similar to most bright 'studio' phones. And it helps if you mod them to enable the drivers to get more air.
But never spend 800 dollars on them, too much.

Same here, drums are my benchmark since I tried the 7506's back then.
I feel only electrostats and the HD800 would appeal to me after having the SA5000 for 6 years :frowning2:

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #551 of 652

How hot are the trebles on the sa5000? I've been tempted to get this after reading up on the web that it sounds very similar to the etys.

You get used to it, I can compare them to the DT880's, which are worse IMO, similar to most bright 'studio' phones. And it helps if you mod them to enable the drivers to get more air.
But never spend 800 dollars on them, too much.

Same here, drums are my benchmark since I tried the 7506's back then.
I feel only electrostats and the HD800 would appeal to me after having the SA5000 for 6 years :frowning2:

The Denon D7000 are a favorite of many (including myself) due to their drum reproduction.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #552 of 652

And it helps if you mod them to enable the drivers to get more air.

Could you elaborate on this? I would be interested to know the specifics.

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #553 of 652
Anyone tried these with spl phonitor? Hegel hd10+phonitor is the smoothest sounding ss combo I have heard. Even some very piercing headphones sound listenable with these. My experience is limited though... But these sound smoother than modi-vali even though vali is a hybrid. I have sa5000 headband, pads and one functioning driver. I'm thinking about getting sa3000 to get the drivers. I would still need the cable though. What kind of cable would you guys recommend?

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #554 of 652
  Anyone tried these with spl phonitor? Hegel hd10+phonitor is the smoothest sounding ss combo I have heard. Even some very piercing headphones sound listenable with these. My experience is limited though... But these sound smoother than modi-vali even though vali is a hybrid. I have sa5000 headband, pads and one functioning driver. I'm thinking about getting sa3000 to get the drivers. I would still need the cable though. What kind of cable would you guys recommend?

I had tried it, but not on my own SA5000. It matches very well to my ears.

SA3000 have a different driver, it is not the best thing to do even if they are the same.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #555 of 652

I had tried it, but not on my own SA5000. It matches very well to my ears.

SA3000 have a different driver, it is not the best thing to do even if they are the same.

I believe they are identical drivers, although they do end up sounding somewhat different. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back