Who still has the Sony SA5000?
May 16, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #631 of 652
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I really want to know Does anyone own/ have compare side by side both the SA3000 and AKG K702? Is it worth it to try out the SA3000 (found one new for $135) even after owning the K702? What're each of their strengths and weaknesses?
Thanks

New notification system actually popped this into my email.

The SA5000 is more along the lines of the performance of the AKG K702. The SA3000 is definitely a step below.

I saw a pair of SA5000 sell for like $500 on ebay last week. It's an interesting headphone... but really at that price range just buy a dang HD800 which is definitely way above the SA5000.

May 16, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #632 of 652
That's actually quite a weird thing to be changed, though you can just unsubscribe and re-subscribe again to change it to "without email notification" so you won't get much spam from this site.
So you think trying the SA3000 won't be worth it? even as a sidegrade?

Haven't had the chance to demo an HD800. yeah, I now, such wildly known headphone, and yet... On of these days I'd go to a store in the capital just to try them out!

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #633 of 652
That's actually quite a weird thing to be changed, though you can just unsubscribe and re-subscribe again to change it to "without email notification" so you won't get much spam from this site.
So you think trying the SA3000 won't be worth it? even as a sidegrade?

Haven't had the chance to demo an HD800. yeah, I now, such wildly known headphone, and yet... On of these days I'd go to a store in the capital just to try them out!

I say try em for that price! - They're not much different than SA5000, which can be remedied by upgrading the mesh earpads to leather ones.

They are similar to the HD800 but much cheaper... even cheaper still checkout the $50 Philips SHP9500 for a similar sound signature.

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #635 of 652
I owned them for a few weeks several years ago, but let them go in favour of trading up my Grado SR325s for RS1s because the SA5000s were too cold. At the time my preference went to the Grados, but now, having gone up the line to PS500s, the comfort and soundstage of HD800s has seduced me back to Sennheisers. What was that about coldness? if only I could have them again to compare...

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #636 of 652
I owned them for a few weeks several years ago, but let them go in favour of trading up my Grado SR325s for RS1s because the SA5000s were too cold. At the time my preference went to the Grados, but now, having gone up the line to PS500s, the comfort and soundstage of HD800s has seduced me back to Sennheisers. What was that about coldness? if only I could have them again to compare...

They are a very cold and sterile sounding headphone. The lack of bass almost makes them sound anemic. The HD800 are a pretty clean upgrade from these. Basically improve the SA5000 sound stage and detail response and add bass and you'll be at the HD800.

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #637 of 652
Does anyone know if the beyer dt990 pads work as replacements on the sa5000?

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #638 of 652
Does anyone know if the beyer dt990 pads work as replacements on the sa5000?

Based on my recollection from about 3 years ago they did not. Caveat is I'm not 100% confident in that memory.

I do remember the brainwavz pads do definitely fit. The 'pleather' memory foams were closest to being the sound of the original earpads.

Jan 6, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #639 of 652
Based on my recollection from about 3 years ago they did not. Caveat is I'm not 100% confident in that memory.

I do remember the brainwavz pads do definitely fit. The 'pleather' memory foams were closest to being the sound of the original earpads.
Thanks
Do you remeber off hand which size as i believe there are different sizes?

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #641 of 652
It was a pair I got off a pair of HM-5 if that helps? Sorry it's been a long time.
Thanks heaps. I’ll have a look for them.

Ive also emailed brainwavz

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #642 of 652
You should learn how to sew your own earpads, CDSA35000. :D

So I wanted to put detachable cables onto my SA5000s. I looked and looked and at first thought that mini-XLR connectors would be perfect. I was wrong, however, realizing that they'd be muuuch too big. It wasn't until I perused the threads around this place concerning removable cables for in-ear monitors and ear buds that I got the idea that I could use a set of Shure MMCX connectors in order to make the mod without tampering with anything on the SA5000s. This mod was grueling, it was not fun to solder these tiny connectors. I also retained the old cable I had been using, which is a monster at around 13'. I installed male MMCX connectors on that end too, equally as annoying to install, but it worked out in the end. I used a thermoplastic (softens when hot, hardens when cold) to ensure that the connectors would not push out when disconnecting or push in while reconnecting the cables. They are VERY delicate connectors, and I nearly botched the mod many times. $8.99 a pair (I bought two), I wouldn't want to waste money on them. They have no resistance unlike most MMCX connectors, which I suppose why their price is higher.

I used some high quality cables for the connections inside the cups and the sound is just amazing. Now I have a very short cable for listening to things in bed or portably, and a very long cable for listening sessions while walking around my room. :3

I also used PlastiDip to fix scratches and dings in the rubber lining on the mesh headband, I thought it would work perfectly and it did. Just a few layers in the grooves, then buffing them and the finish matches perfectly. I love tinkering with headphones.

The detachable cables were MAINLY wanted to prevent pulls and tugs from causing damage to the cable or drivers. I literally tore the cables out of the cups of my SA5000s once before thanks to an act of stupidity (i.e. standing up while wearing headphones with foot on the cable, thus shortening the length and causing the cable to quickly become taut). This is similarly why I installed detachable connectors in my CD3000. Both are gold-plated and securely fitted and soldered (non-permanent in both cases), and don't detract from the sound at all.

It also doesn't hurt that a cable switch can be done in a snap now. No more soldering, yay!

I need to do this to mine... Previous owner for whatever reason fitted an HD600 cable. Since I bought them I've wanted to recable them but with a detachable ability.
I know you posted this in 2015 but do you have any more pictures etc of the process please?

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #643 of 652
You should learn how to sew your own earpads, CDSA35000. :D

So I wanted to put detachable cables onto my SA5000s. I looked and looked and at first thought that mini-XLR connectors would be perfect. I was wrong, however, realizing that they'd be muuuch too big. It wasn't until I perused the threads around this place concerning removable cables for in-ear monitors and ear buds that I got the idea that I could use a set of Shure MMCX connectors in order to make the mod without tampering with anything on the SA5000s. This mod was grueling, it was not fun to solder these tiny connectors. I also retained the old cable I had been using, which is a monster at around 13'. I installed male MMCX connectors on that end too, equally as annoying to install, but it worked out in the end. I used a thermoplastic (softens when hot, hardens when cold) to ensure that the connectors would not push out when disconnecting or push in while reconnecting the cables. They are VERY delicate connectors, and I nearly botched the mod many times. $8.99 a pair (I bought two), I wouldn't want to waste money on them. They have no resistance unlike most MMCX connectors, which I suppose why their price is higher.

I used some high quality cables for the connections inside the cups and the sound is just amazing. Now I have a very short cable for listening to things in bed or portably, and a very long cable for listening sessions while walking around my room. :3

I also used PlastiDip to fix scratches and dings in the rubber lining on the mesh headband, I thought it would work perfectly and it did. Just a few layers in the grooves, then buffing them and the finish matches perfectly. I love tinkering with headphones.

The detachable cables were MAINLY wanted to prevent pulls and tugs from causing damage to the cable or drivers. I literally tore the cables out of the cups of my SA5000s once before thanks to an act of stupidity (i.e. standing up while wearing headphones with foot on the cable, thus shortening the length and causing the cable to quickly become taut). This is similarly why I installed detachable connectors in my CD3000. Both are gold-plated and securely fitted and soldered (non-permanent in both cases), and don't detract from the sound at all.

It also doesn't hurt that a cable switch can be done in a snap now. No more soldering, yay!

Do you have any other images or a video perhaps on the process please?
I have my cups open and want to utilize those two exit holes, They look like a pain to do but I think I should be able to work around them.
Any help would be appreciated thank you :)

Feb 22, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #644 of 652
Well I took the plunge and made a start today, I successfully dissassembled them and cut the HD600 wire out.
It was as straight forward as was suggested so thank you folks for giving me the confidence to have a go at this.
I'll be ordering the cable next week with a few extra bits n bobs. I have an idea and I hope and pray it works.
Shall keep you all posted :wink:

Feb 24, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #645 of 652
Here we go.
Ended up using some MMCX connectors for now on short pigtails until I can find a better solution.
Wasn’t too hard, more of a pain than anything lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back