Who plays instruments on Head-Fi?
Jul 24, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #46 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Great to know other trumpet players on head-fi. I would love to get the Mount Vernon but i think it's not worth the cost. Metal deteriorates afterall. So i'm concentrating on getting a really good new one. Hope to visit the Bach factory one day to pick out an instrument.

The Kanstul is a very good all-rounder. It has a bigger bore than the Schilke P54. It sounds great for solo playing. The sound is warmer and bigger than the Schilke. It comes with 1st slide trigger and 3rd slide ring. Overall it is a great pic but i might also get a schilke for orchestra. Certain stuff like Goldenberg doesn't sound "right" with the Kanstul. I might be selling mine because i think i need the schilke to win a job
smily_headphones1.gif

As long as it what was taken care of, a Mount Vernon would be just as good, if not better, then a modern trumpet. My Super Recording was over 60 years old and it still played better then almost every other trumpet I've tried. You just have to make sure there's no "red rot" and that it hasn't been played so much as to loose the tight tolerances in was manufactured with in the valve section & slides.

BTW, trumpets are one of the cheapest professional instruments out there. The upper range on them is around $3-4k vs. a professional flute which can take you above $10k.

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #47 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrix_2k
As long as it what was taken care of, a Mount Vernon would be just as good, if not better, then a modern trumpet. My Super Recording was over 60 years old and it still played better then almost every other trumpet I've tried. You just have to make sure there's no "red rot" and that it hasn't been played so much as to loose the tight tolerances in was manufactured with in the valve section & slides.

BTW, trumpets are one of the cheapest professional instruments out there. The upper range on them is around $3-4k vs. a professional flute which can take you above $10k.

Try 10K just for the head joint. I've been working in a repair shop this summer. Strangely, i've been doing mostly flutes and clarinets. The flutist are crazy. They're willing to pay whatever it takes, new head joints, pad conversion etc.

I've tried the new Xeno C trumpet. It kicks ass. Maybe i might trade my 229 for a Xeno. It's twice the price of a Bach but still well short of a head joint.

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #50 of 86
Trumpet player here. 4th year on it, part of my school's senior instrumental and jazz stage band. Using a rented Yamaha, don't know what model it is.

I still suck on it.

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #53 of 86
4th grade to 6th-clarinet
7th basson
8th-10th Tenor Sax, occasional baritone sax
I never practiced, I was never that good.

My goal was to play in a specific 'concert venue, however, many years ago that venue went from live music, to pre-recorded so my reason to play left.

Jazz band was the best. It was the one time in high school where I played sax next to a FULL set of drums, 2 eletric guitars, and 1 electric bass (of course a wide variety of brass also)

Owned clarinet. All the rest were free from the public school system. Thats why I played the bassoon that year! Only thing left for free

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #54 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by iq160plus
Jazz band was the best. It was the one time in high school where I played sax next to a FULL set of drums, 2 eletric guitars, and 1 electric bass (of course a wide variety of brass also)

Yup, jazz band for me is also the best. I play directly in front of the drums, and although it gets pretty loud at times, it's exhilarating to listen to the beat of the drums and everything happening at once. This also explains why I'm addicted to Grados and the amazing energy that they can relay back from the drums.

Jul 25, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #55 of 86
Hey sax players, check out this eBay auction for a '72 Mark VI Alto with extended Low A, perhaps one of the rarest Mark VI's around LINK. There's also a near new '59 Mark VI Alto listed as well, for $7250 (Ouch!). Darn thread, got me all nostalgic...
280smile.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #56 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
You can keep the sax, but I'm jealous of the oboe. I've always wanted to learn the oboe.
frown.gif

Don't be! Blowing an oboe is like having a headcold and trying to blow your nose when it's blocked. Sax is like blowing into the wind.

I started 40 years ago. Doing it for a living though is tough because (frankly) you don't always feel like blowing a tiny straw like reed and smiling permanently at the public. I want to be allowed to be miserable!!!!
blink.gif

Also, it's not easy to run off for a fag ar go to the loo when your working. ... or even hide in the loo. (Actually, I don't smoke)

Yes, it's a tough old life.
plainface.gif

Ian

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #57 of 86
I think I posted this sometime before, but here we go, my 1920's Curved B-Flat Soprano Sax by the HN White Co. (Now the "King" label)

cu_bb_soprano.jpg

I miss Jazz Band.

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #58 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I miss Jazz Band.

Jahn, I didn't know you were in a jazz band in the 20's.
rolleyes.gif
580smile.gif

Is that sax in tune? I had an old army Eb sax and it was almost a semi-tone out. Also, is it a soprano. Mine's straight so yours must be dinky.
blink.gif
blink.gif

Ian

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #60 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
When is a sax ever in tune?
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

You have a point.
redface.gif

Probably, the orchestra tunes to the oboe because he is also a sax player!!! Always makes me laugh when I have to sit and wail an 'A' for everyone. The only time I feel that I have power.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back