Who plays instruments on Head-Fi?
Jul 26, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #76 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela
Are you familiar with Doug Demorrow instruments? He was my music theory & percussion professor in college. I believe he now makes professional level marimbas, mallets & other percussion instruments full time. A really nice guy!

Yeah, IMO he makes the best sounding instruments. But, they he will only use brass resonators and the marimba one is much easier to transport, better cases etc. Now, if I had to buy a marimba for a concert hall that would never ever be moved etc, then I would have gotten a demorrow. I think my teacher is going to get one of Dougs instruments. But, mine is already something like 631 lbs... I dont know if my floor could even take a demorrow instrument.

Here is Doug Demorrow's Web Page

And, are you a percussionist now?

Jul 27, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #77 of 86
I visited Hub Van Laar, a dutch trumpet maker. His trumpets are excellent. He's in South Holland, by the German Border.

157e.jpg

b6c3.jpg

Hub and me

2f12.jpg

Jul 27, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #78 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by EhJayKim
Yeah, IMO he makes the best sounding instruments. But, they he will only use brass resonators and the marimba one is much easier to transport, better cases etc. Now, if I had to buy a marimba for a concert hall that would never ever be moved etc, then I would have gotten a demorrow. I think my teacher is going to get one of Dougs instruments. But, mine is already something like 631 lbs... I dont know if my floor could even take a demorrow instrument.

Here is Doug Demorrow's Web Page

And, are you a percussionist now?

No, I'm not a percussionist. I was a woodwind major at Henderson when Demorrow taught there. He stopped teaching to go full time into his production business just before I graduated. I had him for theory & for percussion class. It was a fairly small music dept. so we were all kind of like family. I remember one time I broke my best mouthpiece & was just heartbroken. Doug was so nice -- he came the next day w/a neat reed holder he had made for me just because he knew I was upset. He was always just a great guy & a very good & patient teacher. His percussion lines always kicked ass!

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #80 of 86
i finally got my camera today!!! Sony Cybershot DSC-W50

anyways...

saxes.jpg

the tenor is mine, the soprano belongs to my school, but i'm borrowing it until i graduate
icon10.gif
notice the sexy black laquor?

prideandjoy.jpg

up close and personal

it certainly has sax appeal

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #82 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14
i finally got my camera today!!! Sony Cybershot DSC-W50

anyways...

saxes.jpg

the tenor is mine, the soprano belongs to my school, but i'm borrowing it until i graduate
icon10.gif
notice the sexy black laquor?

prideandjoy.jpg

up close and personal

it certainly has sax appeal

How does the Series III compare to the Series II? I've played a Series II alto and loved it, but I've never tried the Series III.

Jul 29, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #85 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I used to play guitar.... before I had kids. Now I dont have time.

Garrett

i had a dead spot too, but now my kid bugs me to play guitar all the time! of course it's the alphabet song and the wheels on the bus, but still you get any gig you can get, right?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back