Who plays instruments on Head-Fi?
Jul 23, 2006 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

Cyrix_2k

100+ Head-Fier
I guess this includes any kind of instrument
smily_headphones1.gif
I play Trumpet & F. Horn in my high school wind ensemble. I find that being part of a band influences how you listen to music, especially instrumental music in my case.

Here's my old trumpet:
P1010393.jpg

It was a 1947 Olds Super Recording. It played very well and was/is quite valuable. I sold it for $1k, which is cheap, after I started on the F. Horn which I really enjoy playing at the moment.

Jul 23, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 86
I played the trumpet back in middleschool. I sucked at it and moved on, had some breathing ploblems so blowing on the trumpet was a task. If I could do it again I would have tried the piano but due to limited funding I couldn't.

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 86
that's how i got into music... i never listened or cared about it till i got into my middle school's band.
for about 7 years i played the Bassoon, and in H.S. i picked up percussion and the trombone.

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 86
I've been playing keyboards since I was five, professionally for a time. Of all the various keyboards I've owned and played, only a Yamaha C-3 and Hammond B-3 (+ 2 Leslies) have managed to hang around.

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 86
I take lessons for the piano, and have for a while. I'm still terrible at it. Of late though, I have been fiddling around on the guitar.

Yeah, piano and guitar, how original of me.
smily_headphones1.gif
One of my friends plays the harp and bagpipes.
blink.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 86
I play piano a bit.
wink.gif

Own a Hallit and Davis 5'7 Grand, it's my pride and joy.

Rhapsody in Blue, Rachmaninoff Prelude 23/3, a couple Chopin Etudes, Beethoven Sonata 17 in D minor, and a Bach Prelude and Fuge (can't remember which one) from WTC Book 2 are my current studies.

Currently attempting to learn audition rep in four months for conservatory...wish me luck
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
I've been playing keyboards since I was five, professionally for a time. Of all the various keyboards I've owned and played, only a Yamaha C-3 and Hammond B-3 (+ 2 Leslies) have managed to hang around.

Check my avatar. I have an M-3 with the tone selector thing (forget the name right now) and tube reverb. I'm trying to learn how to play it...

hammond1-shrunk.jpg

computerpro, I *love* rhapsody in blue!

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 86
I've been playing trombone for about four years. Right now playing bass trombone. But I suck. Really do. Absolutely no intention of having a musical career after high school.

But the thing is that there are very few people who play trombone, or even lower brass instruments in schools, so I am regarded by my peers as "somewhat good" for a high school standard.
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 86
I used to play the alto sax back in jr. and sr. high school. I just dabble with my acoustic guitar sometimes. There's an old Yamaha Clavinova and Young Chang upright piano collecting dust downstairs, but I still give the keys a touch once in a while. I'm not sure if I'll play the sax again, but I might, if I find a mint c. 1958 Selmer Mark VI that someone's willing to sell
280smile.gif
I've always wanted to sound like Paul Desmond...

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 86
I spent a lot of time playing the tuba/sousaphone and bass clarinet. I don't play much any more, but keep a bass clarinet around for kicks.

To a lesser extent, I also played the clarinet, tenor sax, trombone, and bassoon. But tuba and bass clarinet were easily my favorites. I'd love to pick up the bass some day, as well as dulcimer and the pedal steel. They just seem like fun.

Jul 23, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 86
I played clarinet and alto sax in concert, marching, and jazz bands for many years but I haven't touch either instrument for nearly five years now. I kinda miss it and should really get back into playing.

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 86
wait till i get my camera. i'll be showing off my babies.

i'm in H.S. and play tenor and now soprano sax in concert/jazz bands. They seem to be all i'm good at. I made junior All-State Band last year, and senior all state this year.

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 86
ins.jpg

1949 Buescher "Aristocrat" Tenor sax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back