Who owns more than one headphone amp and why?
Jan 4, 2005 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Turnaround

100+ Head-Fier
Do any of you guys own more than one headphone amp, especially portable ones? I mean, aside from one at home and one at the office so you don't have to carry it back and forth. What's so different that makes you enjoy trading off between the two?

Not pointing fingers ... I have a solid state and tube amp for my main stereo. Some genres are better matched for one than the other.

Jan 4, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 52
I have my cary SLP-88 that I use as my headphone amp and I have the Creek OBH-11. I bought the Creek first and it's a nice little amp (many others don't agree with me on that point, but that's a different discussion). The fact is that I like the Creek enough that I didn't sell it when I got the Cary. Rather, I'm now using it for my bedroom set up. Also, Cary is transportable (it doesn't use batteries and it's too big to be portable, but you can carry it easily with you and plug it in if need be), so that makes it possible for me to take my HD580's when I stay over at someone's house for a day or two.

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 52
Only one now, but I'm sure more will come.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bifcake, do u have a modded OBH11? I was thinking about replacing the caps, but I don't have as schematic for it.

Jan 4, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 52
No, mine is plain stock. There are folks who claim that replacing the caps makes a difference and that could be so, but I'm all thumbs when it comes to DIY, so I never tried it.

Jan 4, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 52
My collection is growing, mainly because I am building them.

So far I have a Grace 901, a Grace m902 on the way, built a CMoy, Pimeta, and a Mint. Going to build another Pimeta and Mint. Then a Dynahi.

I have one main Amp I use for listening, and it's the Grace 901 right now. I'm hoping the m902's DAC is better than the DAC1.

We'll see. Uh...hear.

-Ed

Jan 4, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 52
1 portable amp (Ports CORDA I, albeit with high current adapter) and two mains amps (AudioValve RKV Mk. II and HeadRoom MOH(R)SA (new module):

Tube vs. SS . . .

High vs. universal impedance . . .

Upstairs and downstairs . . .
icon10.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 52
Jfet/Mosfet dynamic headphone amp
tube headphone amp
tube electrostat cans amp
Headphone high current buffer/voltage follower
portable amp/mixer/mic preamp
portable high current amp

but i must have at least fifty amps at various stages of build
icon10.gif

Some may never be finished if i don't stop robbing paul to pay peter...............(taking parts from one to use in the other)

Jan 4, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 52
One (well, soon to be two) portable (Airhead+PC MkII)
One (probably soon to be two) stationary (Supreme+???)

I could use the Supreme as my portable, but prefer not to lug a 4xD battery case around...

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 52
JMT PIMETA in the office.
Grado RA1 for home/transportable listening
Xin SuperMini attached to the Sony SR-85 radio
Xin SuperMacro for portable
Xin SuperDual as Macro backup

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 52
Nothing too fancy on my collection. I currently own three headphone amps, an old Airhead which used to be my portable amp, a Gilmore Lite, and my recently acquired Porta Corda. I may sell my Airhead since I'm not sure I need two portable amps.

-Keith

Jan 4, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 52
I've been know to have an amp or two around from time to time. Personally, I think on of the wonderful things about headphone listening is that you can change your systems around to suit your mood, which is not an option with most speaker system. Viva La Difference!!!!

Jan 4, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 52
Pinkie at home, SR71 on the go. Demoing a ANT right now, dropping knowlege on it here and there for now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back