Who owns more than one headphone amp and why?
Jan 4, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 52
I'll be using a Pimeta with my dvd source and a Gilmore Lite with my dedicated CD source. And, maybe even a porta corda with my portable iPod source!

- walkman666

Jan 4, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #17 of 52
I'm down to only 5 now which are:

Graham Slee Solo Turbo 1
WNA (stock kit amp)
WNA (non stock)
Chiarra
B-Tech 928 (modded)

Soon be up to six once I build the Dynahi and maybe even seven
wink.gif

There's no reason for me to have more than one amp but I do enjoy building them and messing about under the bonnet so I suppose that's reason enough.

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #18 of 52
I have:

Gilmore Dynahi (coming mid-Jan or so)
Channel Island Audio VHP-1 (holdover til Dynahi comes)
Bada PH-1 (holdover? Nah, just wanted to try it)
Headphone jack on my Eastern Electric Minimax CD
(this is worthy of mention as a standalone amp)
Sonic Impact T-amp for my K-1000's
Jasmine T-200 tubed amp with USB input!
(just won on Audiogon auction, will post impressions when I get it)
Porta Corda II (coming any day, from group buy)

When the Dynahi comes, I will likely sell one or both of the Bada and CIA. Maybe the Bada when I get the Jasmine.

I will use predominantly the Dynahi in my bedroom system, sometimes the SI/K-1000 combo. The Minimax is in there, so the headphone output on that will probably be largely unused.

In my main stereo room, I also have my computer, so the Jasmine will likely stay there, either with line input from the stereo, or USB from the computer.

The PC II will be for on-the-go listening....

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #19 of 52
RKV MKII (home)
Corda HA-2 (home)
Porta Corda II (portability)
SuperMicro (portability).

I never use the Porta Corda or Super Micro anymore as the sound improvement is limited without a true line out device and it is a hassle to bother with the battery replacement and extra wires on the road.

Jan 5, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #21 of 52
I had a PPA, then I went to a meet. I heard (and saw) a PPX3, and I knew I had to get one just from the way it sounded (I really liked the tubey sound) and looked (perfect match with an Antec Sonata computer case).

Jan 5, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #22 of 52
1-Headsave Classic for PC
1-Headsave Go-Vibe for Ipod
-----------------------------
2 For now.

Near future, another Headsave Classic to have it on my bed side. This is to rock my dreams.
eggosmile.gif
Soon, I will have the complete Headsave line of amps.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #23 of 52
Who owns more than one headphone amp? I do. and why? I quit asking myself that part of the question a long time ago.

Jan 5, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #24 of 52
Currently, I have four amps:

Emmeline XP-7
SuperMacro
Porta Corda MK II
Meathead Version 2

I recently sold an AirHead, a META42, and a SuperMini.

Why do I have them? Really, I have no idea! I started collecting them looking for the "perfect" portable setup. Right now I use the XP-7 as a home amp, although it was pulling double duty for a while.

I acquired the SuperMacro on a special demo deal from Xin. He must be part Italian because he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I bought the Porta Corda as part of the group buy. Jan and Jude must also be part of the Cosa Nostra.

I bought the Meathead purely for the looks. I usually use it as my computer setup amp but at this point I haven't had a computer rig set up for several months. At some point I'll hook up my Sonica and Meathead again.

At some point I guess I'll be selling a couple of these amps. I'd like to end up with three amps, a home amp, a computer rig amp and a portable amp. I could probably use the XP-7 for a home amp and decide between the SuperMacro and PortaCorda. However, I've considered selling everything and just getting a Gilmore Lite. Who knows? I'll probably end up with 8 amps again.

Jan 5, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #25 of 52
I have forced myself to only 3 amps now. Grace 901, WNA, Melos Sha Gold (aka Maestrobator). But up until recently I had all these more or less at the same time, here goes:sugden headmaster, earmax standard, emp, emp anniv.,gsp solo, grado ra-1, xcan v2, rudistor rp5 ref. But I ran out of space and that's not including headphones so I had to make room. I didn't want too.

I like trying different combo's of amps and headphones and see what the resulting sound is like.

Jan 5, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I like trying different combo's of amps and headphones and see what the resulting sound is like.

...and naming the resulting setup after a hockey great!

Jan 5, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
...and naming the resulting setup after a hockey great!

Well I have a Melos amp which is about to be delivered. I'll name it after No 4 for the Bruins

Jan 5, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 52
I currently own 4 amps right now, well 5 if you count the one I'm holding onto as collateral and it seems it will be mines since the owner hasn't paid me back what he owes. Two of them are tube amps (Stealth and Cary 300SEI),Perreaux SHX-1, Meta42, and a Mint amp. Why do I have more than one amp? Variety is the spice in life
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back