Who owns more than one headphone amp and why?
Jan 5, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #31 of 52
I'm taking the Fifth on this one
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #33 of 52
currently:
microcmoy and pimeta.

parts on the way and immediately built:
2x pimeta.

next in line, boards enroute about to collect parts: dynalo.

slowly collecting parts for: dynahi.

Jan 9, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #34 of 52
I have a PPX3 and a sort of portable PIMETA, but the PPX3 is what gets used. I might make the PIMETA portable again but I don't really have a use for a portable amp since I like to keep my portable stuff simple. I just keep it since it still works and sometimes I use it.

Jan 9, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #35 of 52
I have two. Both for home use. A Maxed-out PPA and a modded HP-100A.

The HP-100A matches my HD-650s very well, while the bass boost option of the PPA drives my K501s very well.

Sort of like one headphone, one amp kind of thing.
tongue.gif
They're both always plugged in.

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #36 of 52
I've got a Gilmore V2 and still have a Creek OBH-11 (my first headphone amp). When I first got the Gilmore I switched the Creek over to my computer, but since the V2 has 2 inputs, I just got a long interconnect and now the Gilmore handles both the main (bedside) rig and the computer rig. Every now and then I connect the Creek to my digital piano for late night practice sessions, but it's been mostly sitting unused. Maybe I should sell it...

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #37 of 52
Currently I have

EMP
Earmax Anniversary
Original MPX3
PPX3
PPX3-6SN7
SDS with tube power supply

Jan 10, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
Currently I have

EMP
Earmax Anniversary
Original MPX3
PPX3
PPX3-6SN7
SDS with tube power supply

Not counting the SDS, which is your favourite. Any chance you would lend me a singlepower amp to try as I have never heard one.

Jan 10, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #41 of 52
All I've got is my PIMETA, which doesn't work. I sold my MINT to a friend, but I intend on building a very tiny, sans-volume pot CMoy for use with my iPod Mini.

Jan 10, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #42 of 52
well i have 3 amps now, a trevornetwork dynahi (home amp), a porta corda mk II (portable amp) from group buy and a chinese SS amp (kind of an impulse buy...want to test it against sub 500 usd amps).

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #43 of 52
I have three amps right now. They all sound different, but I mainly switch between them as a matter of convenience. The Perreaux doesn't need to be powered up, and I can hot-swap headphones or drive two pairs at once for A/B comparisons. In contrast, my Earmax needs to be powered up with headphones connected, and that can be a real pain in the @ss. Most of my excess gear stems from my problems with ADD. I see cool gear and feel compelled to buy it. And now, I like all my gear so much, I have trouble selling it, particularly if it's very inexpensive, like the Perreaux.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #44 of 52
I've got three amps that I use at home, and two portables.

The main amp is the ASL MG-OTL/32, which I use to drive both the AKG K1000 and other dynamic headphones. I keep my Ray Samuels Audio XP-7 beside the ASL most of the time, as I don't always want to turn on the tube amp for a short listening cycle (or if I'm in the mood for something a bit more forward in its presentation).

My computer has an MS-AUDIO Audiophile USB hanging off it, and that's what I typically listen to when I'm on the computer.

For portable use, I've got a HeadRoom Total Airhead 2004 that I use mostly with my iPod, and a HeadRoom Total Bithead that I use mostly at work.

Well, that's pretty much the what and why for me...the why being mostly convenience and redundancy (can't be without an amp, now can I??)

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #45 of 52
Currentlyl three.
1. kuma gilmore which i'm trying to sell
2. Naim Headline2/HC
3. Custom push-pull tube amp. ( Just completed.I cant' wait to hear this one! )

I need two amps. One for upstairs. One for downstairs.
Naim amp was something I've picked up while I was waiting for the Gilmore amp. Ended up I prefer it over the Gilmore after I added a HC.

The tube amp is a total experiment for the RS1 to see how much it can come close to the Jota monos I used to use with the pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back