Who lives in Canada?
Nov 25, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #151 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife

Of course none of this applies to Ottawa headfiers though.
biggrin.gif

Or at least we won't admit it if it does
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #152 of 213
Blarg. It looks as though the Art Institute of Vancouver doesn't offer degrees, just "Diplomas" which are only 6 quarters in length. I don't see "Bachelor of Science" anywhere. Is college just different names and lengths in Canada?

Nov 25, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #153 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Blarg. It looks as though the Art Institute of Vancouver doesn't offer degrees, just "Diplomas" which are only 6 quarters in length. I don't see "Bachelor of Science" anywhere. Is college just different names and lengths in Canada?

In Canada we make a stricter distinction between college and university than you folks down south. For example, what you term community colleges, we blanket as colleges. Then what you may call colleges, state or private (which also hold the official title - university) we always term university.

As for colleges, the vast majority never confer university degrees, though some do have a mandate to do so in coopoeration and union with some universities who may have a campus associated with said college. But in most cases, colleges only confer diplomas, certainly, colleges issuing anything in their own name are always issuing diplomas.

Nov 25, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #154 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
In Canada we make a stricter distinction between college and university than you folks down south. For example, what you term community colleges, we blanket as colleges. Then what you may call colleges, state or private (which also hold the official title - university) we always term university.

As for colleges, the vast majority never confer university degrees, though some do have a mandate to do so in coopoeration and union with some universities who may have a campus associated with said college. But in most cases, colleges only confer diplomas, certainly, colleges issuing anything in their own name are always issuing diplomas.

Also remember in Quebec, colleges are known as CEGEPs.

Anyhow getting back to the original intended topic, I'm from "Laval, Quebec", which is pretty much the island north of Montreal.

Nov 25, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #155 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
Also remember in Quebec, colleges are known as CEGEPs.

Anyhow getting back to the original intended topic, I'm from "Laval, Quebec", which is pretty much the island north of Montreal.

Well...not really. Yes and no actually. Technically CEGEP stands for: collège d'enseignement général et professionnel. So of course, CEGEP is nothing more than a college diploma by which one obtains a diplôme d'études collégiales. So this is either the 2 year streamed pre-university programme (essentially grades 12 and 13) or the 3 year programme leading to a technical diploma akin to a trade-like diploma from colleges in other provinces.

CEGEP is, fundamentally and legally speaking, reserved for state-run institutions. Most Quebec citizens don't make the distinction though between CEGEPS and private colleges so it can get confusing. Yet, the private institutions essentially equate to the same diplomas, either being a pre-university stream or issuing diplomas after a 3 year programme.

Regardless, the same distinction applies between Canadian colleges and universities and the way in which Americans seem to block universities and community colleges under the grand heading of College.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #156 of 213
Saskatoon here. (wow, way to bump a really old thread)

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #162 of 213
Vancouver, BC

Anybody knows if there is a Head-fier doing the equipment mods, repair in Vancouver area? I am thinking to do some mods on my LD MK6+ and Audio-GD reference 1 and also have some stuff need to be repaired. Just want to save some shipping cost.

Thanks

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #163 of 213
My wife & I retired in Milton, NS 4.5 years ago. Originally from Ottawa, born & raised, French Canadian, fluently bilingual. Milton is a small village near the ocean and beaches and is a suburb of another small village which is more prominently known, Liverpool, NS. We're on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. I would never be able to live in a city again.

Jul 1, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #164 of 213
Nobody lives in Canada....... you don't call that living...... it's barely existing....... :triportsad:

Emigrate to a REAL country....... :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back