Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil?
Feb 4, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #46 of 226

It was THAT bad !! 
eek.gif

eek.gif

I do not have this feeling with my EC445 !    But.... I have to confess that some time I think that I should have got a BA instead..... 
tongue.gif

--> tell me, What Amp did you got to replace your EC445

No way - It's a really good amp, I mean a really good amp.  It just wasn't what I was looking for, and not how I wanted my HD800's to sound.  However, I could see where the classical music listeners and the ultra revealing listeners would like it.

I've gone away from headphone amps for now.  I use a Pass Labs INT-150 a integrated amp like the Rag..

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #47 of 226
Some users are finding the 445 too lean for their tastes and transitioning to 2A3 or 300B based amps.  Based on early user descriptions of the Yggy and what we know about the 445, it may not be the best combination for those looking to actually enjoy their music, especially the non Diana Krall/Cookie Marenco fare.

Half of hifi gear is designed for exclusive use with albums containing a guy playing a closed mic'd oboe in an abandoned cathedral, binaural panning songs with hand drums and the occasional meandering stand up bass line, while some born again peruvian on LSD noodles around on his hemp and bamboo pan flute.  Recording costs $60 through an audiophile label, and some retired audiophile physician going through a divorce caused by his hobby is super happy to show his listening room to the first guests he's had in 6 months.  Great care is taken to ensure the shed he's converted into a listening shrine is as acoustically dead as possible, but that may just as well describe his interest in exploring new music at this stage in his life.  The audiophile takes great care to set up everything just so, to give his listeners the same epiphany he had in college in the 70's listening to some Klipsch horns in a music shop.  He had long hair back then, and was with it.  The album cues up, the pan flutes are noodling, a vocalist is not actually singing, but breathing into the mic now and again as if gathering wind for the next verse.  "See, you can hear every nuance of their breath!" He exclaims.  The listeners are in a now nearly comatose state of boredom despite being informed of just how old the tubes are, the audiophile lineage of the speaker designer, and how cable riser risers are the newest thing, as they prevent the cable risers from having any adverse affect on the cables.  (The floor is lava!)  One listener pulls up a TV on the Radio track on her cell phone and asks if they could listen to it.  The audiophile arches an eyebrow and folds his arms in a move he learned from the dealer who sold him his audiophile barometric pressure equalizer (since sound is waves and travels through the air the air itself is what causes the most degradation to the sound) as if to say "I'm not sure if you can be an audiophile and ask that."  Since the listener doesn't care if they're an audiophile they plug an auxiliary cable in and crank it beyond the audiophile recommended amount of decibels.  The listeners are enraptured by the song and proceed to dance.  At this point the audiphile has a vein pulsing in his forehead as his listeners are no longer in the sweet spot.  "You're missing the whole point of the setup!"  He intones. "The reflections are hitting your ears at the wrong angles!  You are not optimally placed to allow the speakers to do their jobs to the fullest!" Yet they continue to dance until the song is over and start another, as they have not yet forsaken music for sound, nor living for reminiscing.  The audiophile gibbers.  He did not spend $800,000, countless hours at dealers and shows and 20,000 internet posts to find out all his triumphant decisions made in his long, smug journey were counter to what he initially upheld as his blissful destination.

Then he realized this is how many people feel at the end of their life and the epiphany could wait until his deathbed, and went back to an audio forum and posted about the clearly negative effects of fluorescent lighting on a listening room.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #48 of 226
@Radio_head, I bought the Auralic Taurus - arguably one of the simpler SS designs out there - roughly 8 months ago and it completely cured me of upgraditis in terms of headphone amps. The obsession with finding the 'right' amp isnt limited the Head-Fi, of course, but most of the speaker crowd at AK just get something that works for them and leave it at that. Doesnt mean I dont pore over the details of every source that comes down the pike, but that's infinitely more interesting to me than amp specs. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #49 of 226
True..  I was just saying a blanket statement like that does not apply to "ALL"..

*sigh*....
Your right of course
:p

Hey, I think my current SS combo possesses at least these attributes:

1-rich

4-musical

And not to sound like a moron, but 3 and 2/4/1 are a bit contradicting in SQ reproduction. At least I think it is hard to achieve both delicacy and musicality/richness/liquidity...
A hybrid can get pretty close though, or some diamond difference designs, IMO :D  

Yup I used to own a BK speaker amp & then a Carver m500t amp that were very very special..
But in those days detailing and sweetness were my thing.
:wink:
So yeah my blanket statement has some holes in it.
:p

Some users are finding the 445 too lean for their tastes and transitioning to 2A3 or 300B based amps.  Based on early user descriptions of the Yggy and what we know about the 445, it may not be the best combination for those looking to actually enjoy their music, especially the non Diana Krall/Cookie Marenco fare.

Half of hifi gear is designed for exclusive use with albums containing a guy playing a closed mic'd oboe in an abandoned cathedral, binaural panning songs with hand drums and the occasional meandering stand up bass line, while some born again peruvian on LSD noodles around on his hemp and bamboo pan flute.  Recording costs $60 through an audiophile label, and some retired audiophile physician going through a divorce caused by his hobby is super happy to show his listening room to the first guests he's had in 6 months.  Great care is taken to ensure the shed he's converted into a listening shrine is as acoustically dead as possible, but that may just as well describe his interest in exploring new music at this stage in his life.  The audiophile takes great care to set up everything just so, to give his listeners the same epiphany he had in college in the 70's listening to some Klipsch horns in a music shop.  He had long hair back then, and was with it.  The album cues up, the pan flutes are noodling, a vocalist is not actually singing, but breathing into the mic now and again as if gathering wind for the next verse.  "See, you can hear every nuance of their breath!" He exclaims.  The listeners are in a now nearly comatose state of boredom despite being informed of just how old the tubes are, the audiophile lineage of the speaker designer, and how cable riser risers are the newest thing, as they prevent the cable risers from having any adverse affect on the cables.  (The floor is lava!)  One listener pulls up a TV on the Radio track on her cell phone and asks if they could listen to it.  The audiophile arches an eyebrow and folds his arms in a move he learned from the dealer who sold him his audiophile barometric pressure equalizer (since sound is waves and travels through the air the air itself is what causes the most degradation to the sound) as if to say "I'm not sure if you can be an audiophile and ask that."  Since the listener doesn't care if they're an audiophile they plug an auxiliary cable in and crank it beyond the audiophile recommended amount of decibels.  The listeners are enraptured by the song and proceed to dance.  At this point the audiphile has a vein pulsing in his forehead as his listeners are no longer in the sweet spot.  "You're missing the whole point of the setup!"  He intones. "The reflections are hitting your ears at the wrong angles!  You are not optimally placed to allow the speakers to do their jobs to the fullest!" Yet they continue to dance until the song is over and start another, as they have not yet forsaken music for sound, nor living for reminiscing.  The audiophile gibbers.  He did not spend $800,000, countless hours at dealers and shows and 20,000 internet posts to find out all his triumphant decisions made in his long, smug journey were counter to what he initially upheld as his blissful destination.

Then he realized this is how many people feel at the end of their life and the epiphany could wait until his deathbed, and went back to an audio forum and posted about the clearly negative effects of fluorescent lighting on a listening room.

wow that sounds too detailed to be fake...
:)

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #50 of 226
Feb 6, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #51 of 226
  You do realize that most manufacturers don't start threads like this for 2 reasons:

• They're generally wildly inaccurate and don't really assist very much with forecast and planning
  • If they WERE accurate, most don't want to share presales data (even an estimate of a percentage of the presales data from a single source such as HF readers) with competitors

If Schiit really wanted to collect potential data around who is going to purchase the Yggdrasil, they'd put up a preorder program with a rolling promised ship date that matches up with their current projected production ramp minus a percentage for warranty and safety stock. Why would you want data floating around in a medium you don't control so competitors can see it?

These threads tend to be a place for everyone to pat themselves on the back and feel great about it. That's awesome, but now we'll have about 4 different threads on the Yggdrasil:

• the combined speculative thread with the Ragnarok
  • the review/impressions thread
  • this thread that seems to serve the exact same function as the speculative thread
  • someone will also invariably create a "the Yggdrasil is released!" thread as well

and now a product page placeholder... :wink:

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #52 of 226

and now a product page placeholder... :wink:

As one of the few people who's heard it with your headphones + amp after it was warmed up, I know you're already going to be buying it :)

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #53 of 226

As one of the few people who's heard it with your headphones + amp after it was warmed up, I know you're already going to be buying it :)

and you would be correct, sir.  That being the case, I would consider myself a candidate for the "A" camp.

Feb 8, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #54 of 226
I'm gonna go with option D.  I think people are crazy to buy stuff without hearing it for themselves.  (Unless you're a collector or millionaire).  I am definitely looking forward to trying it though.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #55 of 226
  A.  I've heard a prototype, and I'm sold
D. i need to audition this DAC alongside other gear, but at this stage it seems like a strong candidate

Is A & D an odd answer?

I've heard a prototype at RMAF and it's a damn fine DAC. 

Except, I already have a $2000 DAC that I'm happy with. I'm going to waver for a while on this one. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #57 of 226
I'm in the option D camp - aiming to try it first.
No matter what the hype and how everyone else rates a new product, I just have to hear it myself to know if it suites me.

The natural successor to my 6-ish year old Nagra CDC is the new Nagra HD DAC (already a thread on this). But at around $30k, they've all but priced themselves off of my radar.
It's not even a matter of affordability. If it was demonstrably better than any cheaper model, I may still go for it, but I'm hoping that one of the new giant killers really is a giant killer, not just something that's great VFM.

There's plenty of other models I'd like to try as well that undercut the Nagra HD: TotalDac, Lampi, Metrum, AMR, EM Labs, lots more. But many of these are hard to audition easily in the UK.

But Schiit does have a UK dealer, and at it's astoundingly low price (compared to some of the above TOTL lines), it will be my first port of call for a demo. If it slaughters my Nagra CDC, I won't bother looking any further.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #58 of 226
  I'm in the option D camp - aiming to try it first.
No matter what the hype and how everyone else rates a new product, I just have to hear it myself to know if it suites me.

The natural successor to my 6-ish year old Nagra CDC is the new Nagra HD DAC (already a thread on this). But at around $30k, they've all but priced themselves off of my radar.
It's not even a matter of affordability. If it was demonstrably better than any cheaper model, I may still go for it, but I'm hoping that one of the new giant killers really is a giant killer, not just something that's great VFM.

There's plenty of other models I'd like to try as well that undercut the Nagra HD: TotalDac, Lampi, Metrum, AMR, EM Labs, lots more. But many of these are hard to audition easily in the UK.

But Schiit does have a UK dealer, and at it's astoundingly low price (compared to some of the above TOTL lines), it will be my first port of call for a demo. If it slaughters my Nagra CDC, I won't bother looking any further.

Look forward to hearing your findings :¬)

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #59 of 226
Apologies for cross-posting, but this is encouraging news from Jason in the main thread - bolding is mine:

the kits for Yggy are undergoing final "find the backordered part" stuff that is typical when getting a new product to market, and are going to the assembly house shortly. With metal in-house, this puts us in a good position to make an end Q1 ship date. In addition, I have finally been spending time with a final 0.99 Yggy, and have found no operational glitches or other problems. Which is as expected--this has been baking a long time. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/thoughts-on-a-bunch-of-dacs-and-why-i-hate-chocolate-ice-cream/2520#post_11306224

Carry on, ladies  :D

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #60 of 226
To Maxx134:

"The ability to be:
1-rich
2-liquid
3-delicate in sound
4-musical

Are things not inherent in SS amps."

I have tried many amps (mainly with loudspeakers) and i did find the Bada 3.8 be very good. It has tube pre-section and solid-state power section.
But the one i like the most, and i think i don't now need to spend time&money for amplifier anymore is Audio-gd Precision 2.
It has all you describe, from 1 to 4. I can recommend that amplifier for sure if you want 1,2,3 and 4.

I have used it with my Theta DS Pro Gen V-a Dac.
I once had the Audio-gd C-39 pre-amp and C-10 power-amp, but i did find those bit too "cold".

Regards,
n-a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back