Who is DONE? How long have they been DONE for?
Jan 7, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #76 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all know the head-fi bug of upgraditis. I myself have been upgrading senselessly for the past year and a half but just want to be done in some way or another.

How many of you active head-fi'ers have actually been DONE for a while?

Anyone who actually has stuck to their word for a long time and been done?

Just curious, in celebration of my 1000th post.

My headfi journey will never be complete without the Q10.. But a HD800/Original 1937 DT48 would help..

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #77 of 101
I'm done because my wife says I'm done. She insists -- I can only buy something if I sell something of greater value, and she keeps the difference. OK I was done after the HE90 ... and I just bought a K1000. I can't resist a good value in used gear. So I have to sell something, but there is nothing I want to part with. I told her I was busy selling, and I thought that would work.

Well last weekend MD1032 (John) was over and she said to him (as he told me later) "he thinks he has fooled me, but I know he hasn't put anything up for sale yet".

So I'm done for, but not done I guess. Sell the Predator 'cause I have the Shadow? Sell the Cowon 'cause I have an iMod? Sell the Shure 530's 'cause I don't use 'em much? Sell the Pro 750s 'cause I use the 770/600's when I need closed?

Not tonight.

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #78 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm done because my wife says I'm done. She insists -- I can only buy something if I sell something of greater value, and she keeps the difference. OK I was done after the HE90 ... and I just bought a K1000. I can't resist a good value in used gear. So I have to sell something, but there is nothing I want to part with. I told her I was busy selling, and I thought that would work.

Well last weekend MD1032 (John) was over and she said to him (as he told me later) "he thinks he has fooled me, but I know he hasn't put anything up for sale yet".

So I'm done for, but not done I guess. Sell the Predator 'cause I have the Shadow? Sell the Cowon 'cause I have an iMod? Sell the Shure 530's 'cause I don't use 'em much? Sell the Pro 750s 'cause I use the 770/600's when I need closed?

Not tonight.

Just sell what you don't use ever, kind of weak on her to force you though. I usually part with things I know i am not going to use again.

I need a decent Headphone amp, and then I will be done. Sometime in the future when I have more money i'll invest in super high end cans with equally high end stuff to go with it. Then i'll be done till they go bad on me.

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #79 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this is my first visit back to Head-fi for awhile, and I haven't even posted about headphones or anything for over a year... I've been done for awhile. I went through a few dozen headphones and came full circle back to what I loved, the HD25-1 and UM2. I haven't found anything I like more than that for less than about $4000, believe it or not.

I just gained a whole new appreciation for my HD-25-1 II's. A joy to listen to, in a very effortless, uncomplicated way. Even better paired with a D10.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #80 of 101
I am not done but I will never spend 500 on an amp, I will never spend 500 on headphones. I might change to different headphones, but I can't justify spending 1000 on a headphone set up. That is just me though...

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #82 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by linaelectronic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not done but I will never spend 500 on an amp, I will never spend 500 on headphones. I might change to different headphones, but I can't justify spending 1000 on a headphone set up. That is just me though...

This. I have a self imposed $300 something limit on any single audio component.

I have been true to it for over 5 years (my DAC Magic was $399 though, which is pushing my "$300 something" limit
biggrin.gif
) and see no reason to change; my audio setups/stereo systems are more than any reasonable person needs as it is.

If I truly feel that a component justifies spending more than $300ish on, then I will buy used (for example, an integrated amp, monitors, or possibly a sub).

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #83 of 101
After owning hd600, hd650, akg k701, grado sr80, HF2, and shure e4c, I can say I'm more or less done with my headphone quest. I'm sticking w/ the HF2 and a portable setup.

The rest of the headphones are soon to be replaced by a small speaker setup.

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #85 of 101
Went into this whole thing looking for a great value and good sound. Searched a lot, (nothing too expensive as you can see from my sig) and finally found what I was looking for. Settled on the JVC RX700 and Fiio E5. It's all I need. Been happily listening to them for almost a year with no itch. Feels good. I spend all my money on mountain biking now.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #86 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...kind of weak on her to force you though...

Yea, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

The women have a song, "Men are like shoes". (Shania Twain I think). "some are loafers, some keep you on your toes, some you have to leave outside, some polish up real good" ... that sort of thing.

We need "Women are like headphones".

Some are too shrill, some clamp too tight, we like the ones that go down low, some are wired crazy, some are balanced and others unbalanced, some are open while others are closed, some need to be amplified, some get uncomfortable after a while ...

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #90 of 101
I have been done a few times now since starting. Each time gets better and better as I am more trained to observe different things. My experiences have been long and pleasing, paying very close attention to the strengths and weaknesses. Just yesterday, I picked a new one up. Well built and has been looked after by the looks of it. Nice and tight when it needs to be which I love. Yes, I am talking about headphones...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back