Who invented Crossfeed ?
Aug 22, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also my question is: did no really enjoy what you hear? That is what counts, artificial or not, do you know how many EQs and bast boosts, and other effects that we never know off, are added during the mixing process...so you are worried for the last step...
wink.gif

Also consider that this is his opinion and he in only stating that he will not do it, not that is right or wrong...

Personally i just can't buy a Amp who don't have crossfedd, by chance my first one (Bithead) had that, i used it 90 % of time

Now with Cantate he's even more efficient, no more lost power when he's activated, i lost on some sound (a tom sound for ex) a little of the end of the vibration, But crossfeed give 2 big improvements, first i knew with Bithead he's less fatiguing, and now with Cantate is that he Add musicality to listening, i really fell more in the place of the music rather then having a headphone listening music which is Great to me
rs1smile.gif

And as you said it's just a option, if i want to disable it for a drum solo i disable

Before buy Cantate i was about to order a Cute Amp+DAC i didn't do it Only because he didn't had crossfeed...

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by badmonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Binaural/crossfeed is the bee's knees. Anyone saying they don't like it should be treated with suspicion until they are interogated as to why not, and as to how long they've been using it. Many simply prefer the artificial separation and apparent soundstage-widening that headphones naturally bring - but this is not realistic for stereo recordings. Listen to stereo fed through crossfeed for a good while (a week?), then turn it off - you might then think the sound is nasty.

Not necessarily.
A few years ago I've used to own the original Corda Prehead and I still own a Coda Cross 1, but I haven't used it for months.
My brain just got used to the "unnatural" separation.
A few million synapses are connected now in a different way.
Might not work for everyone and maybe there is a kind of predisposition for the acquired change in perception, but if you constantly hear with the help of crossfeed you'll surely never get rid of the crutch and the related downsides.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #33 of 42
Well I don't think that an acquired re-learning is a good effect! For one thing, in theory it means that you'll be over-correcting every real sound in the real world, including stereo from speakers, and they'll sound flat and narrow.

Stereo recordings are designed for stereo playback, not headphones. That is the root of the problem.

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Well I don't think that an acquired re-learning is a good effect! For one thing, in theory it means that you'll be over-correcting every real sound in the real world, including stereo from speakers, and they'll sound flat and narrow.

You are underestimating the plasticity of the brain - or lets better say of some brains since it certainly doesn't apply to everyone.
Billions of synapses and gazillions of ways to connect them are easily enough for several different listening modes.It's quite easy to switch, but admittedly reality is sometimes not as detailed and sweet sounding as it should.
wink.gif

You have to take into account that what you consider to be the "natural" way of hearing is also learned during your early childhood and not inborn.A newborn doesn't know where sounds originate, no 3D hearing at all, and certainly no way of perceiving a speaker induced soundstage.The audible reality is warped by the shape of your body and pinnae in a weird way, and these shapes aren't even constant during your lifetime.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Headroom first, and today all Corda, only 2 brand of Amp use crossfeed?

The only other one I am aware of is the Grace Design m902.

Does anyone else know of others? I can't use any headamp at this point that does not have crossfeed.
600smile.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #37 of 42
Aug 28, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #38 of 42
I'm going to chime in, in favor of crossfeed, because I lost, by one estimate, around 70% of my hearing in one ear due to a childhood disease, and when I listen to my headphones with my HeadRoom croosfeed on, in certain recordings my brain mixes the crossfed signals to create the illusion of a fuller stereo experience. The extreme of this is in '60s rock recordings, such as ye olden Beatles or Moody Blues, where the sounds are vastly separated by channel. W/o the crossfeed, sounds exclusive to the channel that feeds my bad ear seem warbly and indistinct; w/the crossfeed, the sounds from the "bad" side sound fuller and more articulate.

One thing I've yet to determine, however, is the tech diff between crossfeed and "surroundsound." I do appreciate crossfeed, but surrroundsound programs, such as SRS, strike me as even more gratifying in some ways, although the value I place on my HeadRoom amp's SQ still far outpaces the SRS sound outta my PC unamped.

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #39 of 42
That's Exactly what i wanted to have, a clear list of Amp with crossfeed
cool.gif

Thank's bbrandt
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrandt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Pete. Found another one as well.

So far we have these amps/adaptors implementing crossfeed:

Headroom Amps
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps

Corda Amps
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-on...amplifiers.htm

Practical Devices XM4
http://www.practicaldevices.com/

Grace Design m902
http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m902/m902.htm

XinFeed adaptor
http://www.fixup.net/products/pktamp/xinaddon.htm
(Apparantly no longer on sale)

Any others out there?

Aug 28, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrandt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else know of others? I can't use any headamp at this point that does not have crossfeed.
600smile.gif

Sonic Frontiers used Headroom's crossfeed circuit in their preamps. The following from a Stereophile 1997 review of the Line 2:

"Finally, there's a headphone (or, rather, HeadPhone) jack at the lower left end of the panel. The jack is powered by SF's adaptation of the well-praised HeadRoom processing circuitry. I'm told that both the blend and the proximity corrections are implemented, as this was the preferred arrangement indicated by user surveys. Just plug in your headphones and the main outputs (balanced or single-ended) are muted, and the volume is ramped up to the preset level for that input on the 'phones."

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #41 of 42
Aug 28, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Stereo recordings are designed for stereo playback, not headphones. That is the root of the problem.

You are confusing "stereo recordings" with "mixing in stereo". Most modern music productions mixed in stereo is produced to work well with headphones. Music of today is consumed on a lot of different platforms, and good productions are made accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back