Who invented Crossfeed ?
Aug 21, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chukwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is Crossfeed? Is it available on Tomahawk?

Basically it mimmics (or ties to) the effect you would get out of a speaker system. In other words, a sense that some of the sound from the right channel escapes into your left ear, and vice versa. It's supposed to create more depth and lessen fatigue - some like it, some don't.

As for the Tomahawk. I haven't heard about a Tomahawk having it so I would guess no.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 42
Several people have designed crossfeed filters over the years both for audio equipment and, more recently, as computer plug-ins. Here are the circuits that I am aware of (I don't know whose design came first):

--Variable Ohman Crossfeed by Ingvar Ohman (Gus Wannerf may have modified this design)
--Chu MOy developed a "Modified Linkwitz Crossfeed" (this implies that Linkwitz may have also designed a crossfeed)
--The Xin Feng Company has developed a "XinFeed" adapter
--Foobar 2000 developed a computer software plug-in
--Winamp developed the "HeadPlug" which is computer software crossfeed

I only wish I had bought a Corda Cross-1 when they were still in production, his design was very sophisticated. Sigh... I hope this info is useful to someone.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by zipdisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several people have designed crossfeed filters over the years both for audio equipment and, more recently, as computer plug-ins. Here are the circuits that I am aware of (I don't know whose design came first):

--Variable Ohman Crossfeed by Ingvar Ohman (Gus Wannerf may have modified this design)
--Chu MOy developed a "Modified Linkwitz Crossfeed" (this implies that Linkwitz may have also designed a crossfeed)
--The Xin Feng Company has developed a "XinFeed" adapter
--Foobar 2000 developed a computer software plug-in
--Winamp developed the "HeadPlug" which is computer software crossfeed

I only wish I had bought a Corda Cross-1 when they were still in production, his design was very sophisticated. Sigh... I hope this info is useful to someone.

crossfeed was invetented along with the first headphone cable using shared ground wire for both channels
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by zipdisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

TTVJ still lists the CC-1 for sale, here.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #20 of 42
Everyone's talking of crossfeed support from the amplifiers being used...so, what's the "meaning" of more software-based crossfeed as it's provided within, say, Darky's Rockbox build? There are audible differences as I tweak gain settings here, but I hear this with or without an amp.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by chukwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is Crossfeed? Is it available on Tomahawk?

None of Ray's amps have crossfeed.

Quote:

I do not like tone control, bass boost, cross-feed on any of my amps, call me what ever you want, it won’t change my mind. I lived in the era when stereo was just getting recognized by many. To the sound engineers of the past, it was just a thrill to be able to pan a singer in one channel & the drums in the other. It was fun listening to it when I was young. We used to wow, listening to those two speakers, one will do this & the other will do that. Source

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #22 of 42
Using that same logic above we should be listening mono, it was first right, and we enjoyed it, at least I did...
wink.gif

There is one thing called technology, and that prove things for us, the use of crossfeed only can be replaced while the recording engineers do the recordings to be listened by headphones, and consider the bleeding into the mix....

The S-logic help with the problem but will not solve it neither...I stopped using it, and I can live now without it, but sometimes I miss it honestly...it is a nice feature to have...read all the multiple Tyll and Meier posts regarding that implementation...

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes it was me...
I received the first idea from Billy D after watching his panache..
it scrambled my brain so bad I felt the requirement to fix his panache by mixing the left and right channels just a bit.

Oh Billy D what would I have done without you...

Cheers

Jan

FIXED!!!!

biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using that same logic above we should be listening mono, it was first right, and we enjoyed it, at least I did...
wink.gif

There is one thing called technology, and that prove things for us, the use of crossfeed only can be replaced while the recording engineers do the recordings to be listened by headphones, and consider the bleeding into the mix....

The S-logic help with the problem but will not solve it neither...I stopped using it, and I can live now without it, but sometimes I miss it honestly...it is a nice feature to have...read all the multiple Tyll and Meier posts regarding that implementation...

Hmm... Perhaps I should have pasted the whole text. The argument was the tone control, bass boost, cross-feed are artificial and adds distortion to the sound. Click the source link to read the whole passage.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #25 of 42
Boris Mikhaylov calls his software binaural simulator DSP (for Foobar etc) after "Bauer", so that probably reiterates Jan's credit above.

Read more here.

Binaural/crossfeed is the bee's knees. Anyone saying they don't like it should be treated with suspicion until they are interogated as to why not, and as to how long they've been using it. Many simply prefer the artificial separation and apparent soundstage-widening that headphones naturally bring - but this is not realistic for stereo recordings. Listen to stereo fed through crossfeed for a good while (a week?), then turn it off - you might then think the sound is nasty.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #26 of 42
I think that Jan is probably right: "B. Bauer. A patent was granted in 1963." But I believe that HeadRoom deserves the credit for first popularizing crossfeed for headphone amps, and as I recall, Headroom also credits Bauer. Jan at Meier-Audio also deserves credit for picking up on the concept and delivering a excellent crossfeed circuit, which he published at HeadWize for DIY people and had consistantly oftered it in his amps.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by KurtW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I believe that HeadRoom deserves the credit for first popularizing crossfeed for headphone amps

That was my question, for Amp not on software or other place
wink.gif

So Headroom first, and today all Corda, only 2 brand of Amp use crossfeed so ?

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #28 of 42
So which portable amps use this crossfeed thingymajig? I've been on this forum all of about 2 weeks and i can already see myself having 2/3 different amps in 6 months.

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... Perhaps I should have pasted the whole text. The argument was the tone control, bass boost, cross-feed are artificial and adds distortion to the sound. Click the source link to read the whole passage.

Artificial? Well, not more than changing an opamp, or "tune" the circuit via different tubes, etc...others use tranformer at the outpur, and caps for coupling, and nobody complaints, all those introduce anomalies as well...BTW not all effects introduce distortion, anomalies, I would called it, distortion is another thing...
Also my question is: did no really enjoy what you hear? That is what counts, artificial or not, do you know how many EQs and bast boosts, and other effects that we never know off, are added during the mixing process...so you are worried for the last step...
wink.gif

Also consider that this is his opinion and he in only stating that he will not do it, not that is right or wrong...

Ok here you have another approach, from the tube CAD journal magazine about tone network uses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back