Who here is NOT buying MW2?
Nov 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #106 of 218
There's actually an interesting tie in to the MW2 debacle, the viral spread of Steam and their competition. MW2 is a Steamworks title and includes the Steam software in the installer, Direct2Drive called Steam a trojan horse and is now refusing to sell MW2 because it advertises their competition.

Online Retailers Refusing To Sell Modern Warfare 2 - Modern warfare 2 - Kotaku

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had all my games stolen before, ALL of my physical games, cd keys everything. The only thing I had left to show of my collection was the **** on steam. Over 200$ worth of PC games... gone.

That really sucks, you gotta be careful on Steam though or the same thing can happen if your account password is hacked or phished, I recommend using Diceware to come up with a nigh-unbreakable passphrase.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #108 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's actually an interesting tie in to the MW2 debacle, the viral spread of Steam and their competition. MW2 is a Steamworks title and includes the Steam software in the installer, Direct2Drive called Steam a trojan horse and is now refusing to sell MW2 because it advertises their competition.

Online Retailers Refusing To Sell Modern Warfare 2 - Modern warfare 2 - Kotaku

That really sucks, you gotta be careful on Steam though or the same thing can happen if your account password is hacked or phished, I recommend using Diceware to come up with a nigh-unbreakable passphrase.

I'm in IT, I can handle making pwds. having somebody refusing to give something back that you can't prove they have except by word of mouth is another thing.

Steam effectively brings the convenience and converging tech of consoles to the PC, it's all the good of the console minus all the bad.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #109 of 218
I basically just buy my games where they are the cheapest or on sale. If it wasn't for that, I would still buy the box. The fact that steam basically does all the patching for you is nice, but I like having the physical item more. That said, I do buy quite a few games on the Steam weekend sales because usually they are pretty killer.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #110 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickosha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I basically just buy my games where they are the cheapest or on sale. If it wasn't for that, I would still buy the box. The fact that steam basically does all the patching for you is nice, but I like having the physical item more. That said, I do buy quite a few games on the Steam weekend sales because usually they are pretty killer.

My modus operandi is almost entirely here:

I buy a lot of games, but I usually can't afford the full retail price. I buy games on steam when they are so heavily laden with DRM but I simply must place (Mass Effect, for example), or when they go on sale at a phenomenal price, which happens to be once a week these days....

But when I can get away with buying a boxed game cheaper, or at the same price, and it having no drm, I'm sold on the boxed version. Let's face it, steam is not the perfect solution... but it's better than buying a DRM'd up version of the game... unless it's far more expensive. :\

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #111 of 218
I do not have much against Steam, not sure if I have anything against them in relation to the titles I have bought. I only buy some titles there though, as I plan to buy physical copies of games that I REALLY look forward to, then I have to have the box/special editions etc.

On MW2 I am excited to see how their new IW.net service thingy will be working for the PC players, guess I will read feedback during the week.

I will as I said before not get the game though.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #112 of 218
I ordered MW2 for the PS3 today of eBay for 61$ shipped
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #113 of 218
Quote:

And I would argue that the First Sale Doctrine is behind the times, The issues I'm addressing have only been around a few decades with the exception of books.

Books are a pretty large exception given that many of the copyright practices that are issues now were also issues when the printing press came out in the 1400's. And recorded music has been around since the early 1900's, longer if you count sheet music as recorded music.

You're also pretty lonely in arguing against the First Sale Doctrine. Not sure I know anyone who's against it other than you and the MPAA/RIAA.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #114 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure I know anyone who's against it other than you and the MPAA/RIAA.

What about the push to digital distribution? (across all fronts: movies, music, books and games)

It's always been hard if not impossible to actually stop somebody from reselling books or records, or from creating pirate copies which has also been a problem since the first printing presses and even before.

Not so with digital content and AFAIK none of it is allowed to be resold. Good luck trying to exercise your rights under the First Sale Doctrine with your iTunes library.

More on first sale and digital distribution as it relates to games: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/13/lg...-distribution/

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #117 of 218
Quote:

What about the push to digital distribution? (across all fronts: movies, music, books and games)

It's a push by content publishers to exploit another revenue stream where the laws aren't quite settled yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska
Not so with digital content and AFAIK none of it is allowed to be resold. Good luck trying to exercise your rights under the First Sale Doctrine with your iTunes library.

Little of it can currently be resold as there are technical barriers to resale. Whether resale is legal is a completely different story.

Quote:

Yeah? With the removal of DRM how exactly would one go about legally reselling their purchased music on iTunes? Burn a cd, sell it on ebay then delete the files?

That'd work.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #118 of 218
Quote:

That'd work.

I'd expect anyone who tried that would run into some problems.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #119 of 218
I plan on getting some bowl pads for my MS1i's and some stuff for some DIY cables with the money.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #120 of 218
^nice!

Quote:

Little of it can currently be resold as there are technical barriers to resale. Whether resale is legal is a completely different story.

I agree that the laws regarding resale of digital downloads haven't been settled but the technical barriers are easily within reach it's just that either there is little incentive for the providers to allow it (although they could profit by charging a transaction fee) or the content creators don't want to allow it.. yet. Until it becomes a big enough issue and there is sufficient pressure from consumers to look into the legality regarding the transfer of digital media for monetary gain we will never see it come to light. In my opinion all of this content is sold as a limited licence therefor full ownership rights would not apply, but I'm no lawyer.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back