Who here is NOT buying MW2?
Nov 7, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #76 of 218
Speaking of Dragon Age Origins, Bioware is the mirror opposite of IW when it comes to treating their customers right. They include incentives to buy the game new in the from of in game bonus items via codes and the social network site to expand the gameplay experience. This kind of incentive helps stem piracy and used game sales while rewarding the new purchaser, of course it doesn't hurt that they make truly awesome games.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #77 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that the single player experience in the CoD games is often better than the multiplayer. In this case it certainly will be.

I will definitely acquire it somehow for the singleplayer.

Its a matter of preference. For me, multiplayer is the fun part. I am waiting anxiously for tuesday's release of MW assuming you meant modern warfare II). I always use it with xbox and love it. I am sorry to hear they wont have it for PC's for those who prefer it that way.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #79 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of Dragon Age Origins, Bioware is the mirror opposite of IW when it comes to treating their customers right. They include incentives to buy the game new in the from of in game bonus items via codes and the social network site to expand the gameplay experience. This kind of incentive helps stem piracy and used game sales while rewarding the new purchaser, of course it doesn't hurt that they make truly awesome games.

True and despite they are now offering their splendid rpgs on the consoles as well the PC version is surely not handicapped in any way. Console versions seem to be well treated as well though with combat more action packed and less tactics, friendly fire etc. Which would be quite unwieldly with the gamepad interface.

As for COD yes they have always been single player experiences primarily for me. Each IW effort (as mentioned Treyarch generally suck) there have been some levels that just stick. Omaha beach landing, the St Petersburg introduction level, the hercules C-130 level in MW etc.

Extremely linear and with spawns from hell with stupid AI but generally very well paced cinematic aned fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #81 of 218
Not much to add to this except, all the stuff I have been reading has also swayed my decision on waiting to buy MW2. I don't do much online multi-player. But I definitely don't like the dumbing down of games that seem to be happening. The big OMG moment was when I found out IW took out leaning. Give me an F'ng break.

I sort of knew something like this was going to happen when I saw that the PC games didn't get the special packages that included the night vision goggles.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #83 of 218
Quote:

As big a fan as I am of Bioware, I hardly see how whacking $15 or more off the resale value of their games counts as 'rewarding the new purchaser'. It rather seems to me like 'screwing over the new purchaser' as it severely reduces resale value of the retail game. Hell, pirates aren't even affected as they can pirate the DLC as easily as the pirated the full game.

While it's marginally acceptable from Bioware given their stellar track record, it sets a very bad precedent for EA and one that I expect we'll see more of in the future.

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #84 of 218
Used sale of video games is just as bad as piracy, perhaps worse since often times a third party is profiting off of the transaction. For video games you are paying for the experience not the 25 cent physical disc and manual, neither the publisher nor the developer see a dime from second, third, fourth hand sales. At a glance none of the DLC for Dragon Age is currently available illegally.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #85 of 218
Quote:

Used sale of video games is just as bad as piracy, perhaps worse since often times a third party is profiting off of the transaction. For video games you are paying for the experience not the 25 cent physical disc and manual, neither the publisher nor the developer see a dime from second, third, fourth hand sales. At a glance none of the DLC for Dragon Age is currently available illegally.

You've got a very odd conception of consumer rights if you equate exercising your rights under the the First Sale Doctrine to piracy. Does this extend to music, movies, and other non-physical content for you, or are video games a special case exception?

AFAIK, the DLC for Dragon Age is freely available on torrent sites, though the main content packs aren't functional yet. But given that pretty much every non-MMORPG has been successfully pirated, it's not much of a stretch to say that it'll be cracked soon enough.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #86 of 218
I'm just ahead of the times, and yes I would include the re-sale of music, movies, books and other non-physical content. The bottom line in the trading of these media is that the creator or owner of the IP is compensated otherwise it is wrong. For a third party to be profiting repeatedly off of the resale of IPs based on other's work is even worse (gamestop) they might as well be selling bootleg DVDs. The surrender of the physical archive is insignificant once it has been consumed to the full extent. It will remain wrong until there is a way to completely wipe the experience gained through ownership from our minds. In the case of video games it won't be much longer until their resale is no longer possible, Steam for example has been pioneering the way on this for quite a while.

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #87 of 218
I'm going to take the unpopular view that I'm pretty psyched for this game... but then again, I play it on the 360 and don't have gripes with dedicated servers etc. COD4 has been the only thing I keep coming back to on the xbox - I love multiplayer.

I am, on the other hand, a little worried about all the various "improvements" made to multiplayer between COD4 and MW2 - feels like they're trying to make it more arcade-y, which I'm not a fan of. But I'll withold judgment until this week.

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #90 of 218
LOL Suck life fail right there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back