Who here is NOT buying MW2?
Nov 9, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #92 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steam for example has been pioneering the way on this for quite a while.

Steam is total aids.
It's just as bad (if not worse) than itunes.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #93 of 218
Quote:

I'm just ahead of the times

One could argue your thinking is actually quite backwards and behind the times...(the first sale doctrine has been around for a century)

Quote:

The bottom line in the trading of these media is that the creator or owner of the IP is compensated otherwise it is wrong. For a third party to be profiting repeatedly off of the resale of IPs based on other's work is even worse (gamestop) they might as well be selling bootleg DVDs.

This is not how it works. A game dev or publisher is not losing the $60 I gave them to purchase their game when I resell it to another person. The prices of these games are set with the understanding that some people will purchase the used version from a third party. While I do not like places like Gamestop because they rip people off, they have every single right to sell the games at whatever price. This is the beauty of capitalism and the free market. And anyway, the reselling of goods is protected by the law and has for a long time.

Would you argue that people should not be allowed to rent games as well? I could very easily rent a game for a couple of dollars and beat that entire game before I had to return it, meaning I just saved about $55...

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #94 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steam is total aids.
It's just as bad (if not worse) than itunes.

NO.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #95 of 218
I love steam, their weekend deals are like crack I just can't get enough.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #96 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO.

Well, as always, MrGreen is overreacting, but it is true that once you buy a game on Steam, you can never re-sell it to anybody.

You are putting all your eggs in one basket, and that's always a risk in retrospect.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #97 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, as always, MrGreen is overreacting, but it is true that once you buy a game on Steam, you can never re-sell it to anybody.

You are putting all your eggs in one basket, and that's always a risk in retrospect.

I thought he meant the program in general, not just the shop.

I don't often buy games via digital distribution services such as Steam due to my monthly 10gb data cap. If I had a higher cap I probably would though. It's generally cheaper than buying from a shop (here at least) and I never really resell games anyway.

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #98 of 218
Quote:

I thought he meant the program in general.

I'm pretty sure I did.

Quote:

Please dont judge me. I'm simply expressing my entirely valid opinion. You don't need to pay attention if you dont want to

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #99 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure I did.

Please dont judge me. I'm simply expressing my entirely valid opinion. You don't need to pay attention if you dont want to

That's for sure.
wink_face.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #100 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's for sure.
wink_face.gif

The only general consensus I can get on steam being bad is the need for it to scan to check if you have internet access (and whinging if you dont).
And the need to run steam all the time.

Just because I see steam for the ****ty cash grab it is doesnt mean other people dont like it
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #101 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One could argue your thinking is actually quite backwards and behind the times...(the first sale doctrine has been around for a century)

And I would argue that the First Sale Doctrine is behind the times, The issues I'm addressing have only been around a few decades with the exception of books.

Quote:

This is not how it works. A game dev or publisher is not losing the $60 I gave them to purchase their game when I resell it to another person. The prices of these games are set with the understanding that some people will purchase the used version from a third party.

They are losing a new sale. One could also argue that games are priced with a certain amount of piracy in mind.

Quote:

Would you argue that people should not be allowed to rent games as well? I could very easily rent a game for a couple of dollars and beat that entire game before I had to return it, meaning I just saved about $55...

If you were to buy a retail copy of the game and then rent it out I would. However I'm not sure how the rental market works when it comes to compensating owners of the IP but AFAIK it's more complicated than just buying off the shelf copies and renting them out.

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #102 of 218
Quote:

I thought he meant the program in general, not just the shop.

I don't often buy games via digital distribution services such as Steam due to my monthly 10gb data cap. If I had a higher cap I probably would though. It's generally cheaper than buying from a shop (here at least) and I never really resell games anyway.

I don't have such a cap, and I get 2gbps through steam. I have 0 excuses for piracy because I can get the game quicker from steam, and usually if I wait a few weeks the game goes on sale.
gs1000.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #103 of 218
I quite like steam and digital distribution in general. I agree that buying games off of steam though is "putting all your eggs in one basket" but for me its a warm cozy basket with Gabe Newell sitting atop incubating my games, I tend not to venture anywhere else. If anyone else has noticed Gamestop is trying to get into digital distribution to prepare for their obsolescence as a physical disk retail outlet in the coming years. The way I picture it eventually they may be able to keep their stores open while selling boxes containing download codes and manuals but it will be hard for them with their used games sales all but eliminated.. they will have to push their pre-orders even harder (as if that were possible lol).

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #105 of 218
Quote:

I quite like steam and digital distribution in general. I agree that buying games off of steam though is "putting all your eggs in one basket" but for me its a warm cozy basket with Gabe Newell sitting atop incubating my games, I tend not to venture anywhere else. If anyone else has noticed Gamestop is trying to get into digital distribution to prepare for their obsolescence as a physical disk retail outlet in the coming years. The way I picture it eventually they may be able to keep their stores open while selling boxes containing download codes and manuals but it will be hard for them with their used games sales all but eliminated.. they will have to push their pre-orders even harder (as if that were possible lol).

Such evidence inspires further faith that steam will continue on. The only thing that valve needs to do is spearhead the digital movement with some good commercials. Perhaps they have, but I haven't seen any. I'd be happy to see valve's steam commercial just because itd mean they'd be further cementing thier dominance.

Quote:

I've had all my games stolen before, ALL of my physical games, cd keys everything. The only thing I had left to show of my collection was the **** on steam. Over 200$ worth of PC games... gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back