Who here is NOT buying MW2?
Nov 7, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #61 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not buying any FPS unless I get serious pressure to get one. IMO The FPS has already been perfected in UT2k4.

Dare I say it, games are getting more common, but they arent getting better.

I would have to agree with this. I am playing quake live right now and although that is based on a 10 year old game it's still much better than most of what's out there. We can have the UT vs Quake debate now of course, but let's save that for another time.

I think many games focus way too much on the flashy graphics and not so much on the gameplay or storyline. And the gameplay/storyline is after all what really makes a game stick out. I still enjoy playing some of the DOS adventure games sometimes because they we're actually fun to play.

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #62 of 218
Yeah more so the game play has seriously been static with the exception of a few games [L4D]. While Crysis looks amazing and so do some other titles, the game play just doesn't make you want to play it. I got through Crysis just to see more eye candy.

I play CSS which is ancient, not because I have an ancient pc [I can play Crysis on very high, dx10 at 1920] but because it's fun. The same can be said about a lot of games.

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #63 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L4D CSS

Personally, I don't think L4D or CSS are anything other than average. I have pretty strong views about what is happening with valve, though (rehashing the same game, changing models/gui, selling for $$). So bias bias bias.

Crysis was a fantastic graphics demo. And halflife 2 was a fantastic physics demo. Other than that? Yeah, not so much happening (except that place in HL2 with zombies + circular saws. that was 9+/10).
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am playing quake live right now and although that is based on a 10 year old game it's still much better than most of what's out there. We can have the UT vs Quake debate now of course, but let's save that for another time.

Quake is a fantastic series (up to and including 3), and UT is a fantastic series (less fantastic than quake, perhaps, and UT3 was pretty average). I actually prefer the quake series and believe quake one to still be one of the smoothest, best playing FPS ever created. Quake 3 is probably my second favourite fps of all time (but movement mods are essential and some of those weapons are horrible). I just think 2k4 is essentially flawless.

I actually edit: recently
tongue.gif
layed to completion quake 1 (and some mission packs) on the darkplaces engine with a friend. Still fan-bleeding-tastic.

It's a bit like streetfighter/tekken/mortal kombat/soulcalibur vs virtuafighter. Virtua fighter (especially 2 and 4:evo) is undoubtedly the king of fighters (no pun intended) for me (so balanced and so reliant on skill), but i'd probably take a different series (especially series with elements of luck) to a lan party, because frankly on VirtuaFighter/UT2k4 the most skilled player pretty much wins invariably.

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #64 of 218
Crysis or rather Far Cry Cryteks previous game did show the way forward. Give the gamer more options on how to tackle situations. Crysis took that even further with the superb suite that give you even more tactical options.

Some people get blinded by the visual flair though and forget that the combat is actually superb with very good AI. Not as good as F.E.A.Rs though but hard with such open levels that you can tackle from so many directions. I never understand people saying it´s a tech demo anymore then say Quake ever was. Crysis actually even have a decent story lol

my favourite newer fps is Bioshock. Even though I was initially disappointed it was not quite as impressive as System Shock 2. That is a fps/rpg that beated the crap of anything quake, unreal, Half Life back in it´s day and is still mightly impressive.

But yes that list on MW 2 it seems that it will be one of the worse console ports... I wonder if it will be as bad as Borderlands though. I am mostly a single player guide so a lot doesn´t affect me but that you take away lean is just crazy. If you ever encounter a fps without lean you know it´s a console port.

But I agree we can´t really complain. It´s a really tough gaming climate with tons of competition. Unless we just want indie games we have to pay for it in the end. It´s not acceptable for a company to work to minimize their profit. It´s not the way to survive in the long run. Even though I have a feeling most game developers would rather work with PC then consoles. Less limitations.

But as for console games I am amazed that you can actually sell console games for 70$... Surely lately the used market got bigger but when I go in stores for used games they are like 60$ instead of 70$ and that is old games even?

Try to charge more then 40$ for a PC title and the PC crowd go bananas lol

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #65 of 218
Yes out of all the fps out since Far Cry, Bioshock is the one that stood out for me. Kick butt story too.

Mr Green, I agree with your L4D sentiments. I only got it about a month ago because I was never going to pay so much for what was essentially HL2 with zombies. . . wait we could always get zombie mods for CSS. People still play 1.6 because of CSS's increased hit boxes and the ability to spray kill someone.

Games that have impressed with good visuals, story line, game play and modding would be Fallout 3. I love that game to pieces. It overtook FFVII as my favourite game. Mass Effect had a good storyline and visuals though the class system was heavily stacked towards the soldier class. Stalker was good. Stalker: CS was alright.

Yup, not too many games out there that I appreciate.

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #66 of 218
Considering I'm not interested in the FPS genre in the first place, it's not even on my radar.

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #67 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quake is a fantastic series (up to and including 3), and UT is a fantastic series (less fantastic than quake, perhaps, and UT3 was pretty average). I actually prefer the quake series and believe quake one to still be one of the smoothest, best playing FPS ever created. Quake 3 is probably my second favourite fps of all time (but movement mods are essential and some of those weapons are horrible). I just think 2k4 is essentially flawless.

I actually edit: recently played to completion quake 1 (and some mission packs) on the darkplaces engine with a friend. Still fan-bleeding-tastic.

I finished Q1 as well earlier this week.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I think that the mods made Q3 a great game. Without those it wouldn't have gotten to that point in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my favourite newer fps is Bioshock. Even though I was initially disappointed it was not quite as impressive as System Shock 2. That is a fps/rpg that beated the crap of anything quake, unreal, Half Life back in it´s day and is still mightly impressive.

I would have to disagree here. System shock was designed with single player and coop in mind. It's a combination of FPS and RPG which is completely different from Quake and Unreal. Quake and Unreal were made for multi-player and didn't have much of a single player whatsoever. While such games might be more of your thing I don't think that you can directly compare them.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #69 of 218
i been following this thread and it seems like IW is really cutting down on the services it offers pc gamers. I am not the biggest fan of MW but i was considering getting for xbox i am not so sure now.

I am sorry just for my clarification what is leaning. I managed to find out all the other terms discussed except for leaning

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #70 of 218
leaning = making lean.
Lean = thin.
i.e. theyre making smaller/reducing.

If that doesnt make sense, it leaning could be like bending your body as in "leaning over".

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #71 of 218
Quake was originally single player oriented even though it´s the multiplayer that made it famous. Have you tried Dooms multiplayer its really fun as well. Only lacks 3D aiming but that is not all bad actually lol Still insanely fun. Quake 3 is the first multiplayer oriented title ID made... It´s just games and both are fps so it´s fine to compare them.

It´s much easier to make good multiplayer games then single player games anyway so I guess I am biased to fps games that manage to do both parts. I can enjoy pretty much any fps game with human AI.

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #72 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i been following this thread and it seems like IW is really cutting down on the services it offers pc gamers. I am not the biggest fan of MW but i was considering getting for xbox i am not so sure now.

I am sorry just for my clarification what is leaning. I managed to find out all the other terms discussed except for leaning

Many PC FPS games let you lean to the left or right. So, for example, you can go up to a corner and lean over the edge to see what is on the other side. Without leaning, you have to walk around the corner and show your whole body instead of just having a portion go beyond the edge. Leaning is also used when you are behind cover and you lean out of the cover to get a shot.

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #73 of 218
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quake was originally single player oriented even though it´s the multiplayer that made it famous. Have you tried Dooms multiplayer its really fun as well. Only lacks 3D aiming but that is not all bad actually lol Still insanely fun. Quake 3 is the first multiplayer oriented title ID made... It´s just games and both are fps so it´s fine to compare them.

It´s much easier to make good multiplayer games then single player games anyway so I guess I am biased to fps games that manage to do both parts. I can enjoy pretty much any fps game with human AI.

I've played doom for a while. That was quite fun as well indeed.

Anyways, I was talking about Quake III arena since it was released at about the same time. Q1 and Q2 did have a single player which was alright, but not the greatest thing ever. id made Q3 to be a multi-player game and I don't think that's so much easier than a good single player. Making a multi-player game isn't that hard, I agree, but making it really good and balanced is a completely different story altogether. You'd have to make it so that people feel like the only thing between them and a victory in a match is their own skill and not the flaws of the game. That balance isn't needed whatsoever when making a single player game. You need a good story. The AI guys aren't as strong as the character controlled by the player which is very convenient because it allows the game developer to throw balance out the window.

So when looking at it that way my opinion is that you can't really compare games when one is made to have that balance and the other is made to have a good story. I find that similar to comparing chess to peg solitaire. One might have a preference for one or the other, but that doesn't make a comparison between the two very interesting. Another way to say it would be: comparing apples to oranges - in my opinion, but you compare whatever you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #74 of 218
Probably wasn't going to buy it in the first place as I am not a huge COD fan, but now with these limitations I probably wont even buy it when it is cheaper since most of my play would be online.

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #75 of 218
well most single player fps games like Doom and such is all about the 30 seconds of fun and not really the story so there isn´t that much of a distinction often. Just that multiplayer titles are more stripped down to the core values and as mentioned have better AI that is more human lol.

The games that is built on story is rpgs generally for me. fps games can be enjoyable no matter how little of what you are doing make sense but in rpgs you have to believe in what you are doing. Those that do it right get insanely addictive for that reason.

I mean I just took a week vacation due to Dragon Age Origins launch. good rpg titles really ruins my day/night cycles
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back