Who here actually carrys a amp with them everywere they go?
Sep 26, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #31 of 59
Only in the winter when I'm wearing a big jacket to tuck it in the pocket, not really worth it when you're wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the summer

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #32 of 59
Back when I had portable amps I always had one in my bag with me, but I prefered to keep the DAP in my pocket usually, and the very minimal SQ increase from using an amp certainly wasn't worth the bulk of putting the amp in my pocket, or the inconvenience of putting the whole package in my bag.

I only really used it when I was sitting in one place for a while and could concentrate.

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #33 of 59
I usually go around campus with shuffle/6th gen ipod > earbuds... nothing fancy. There's practically no SQ increase using the Predator for some earbud, and the bulk is not worth it imo.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #35 of 59
I cart along my Zen Head Decware amp and usually my Grado 325i's. Sometimes just my Yuin PK1s. As I'm usually carrying my computer, I just put everything in my compter case (if I'm not carting the computer, I'm carrying everything in a brief case--I also do not leave home sans books, a note pad, and some pens/pencils).

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #36 of 59
My XXS is a bit too enormous to carry around all the time with my iRiver H332, so that rig stays at home.

My FiiO + Clip rig gets used at the gym sometimes, and my D2 sounds just fine without an amp. ipod nano + Soundrigor rig is the one I take out most of the time.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #37 of 59
Well, I'm still waiting my FiiO and my Corda 2Move, and I'm already aiming a RSA Tomahawk or a RSA Hornet.

I'm not sure if carrying a RSA will annoy me enough to decide to carry the Fiio with my iPod instead, but I'll probably want the best SQ possible( Tomahawk/Hornet - they seem to be much smaller than the 2Move).

But yes, I'll always carry one of the headphone amps with me.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #38 of 59
I started carrying my Mini^3 with me everywhere when I first got it, but lately I've started leaving it at home. Mainly for 2 reasons - one, my 'on the go' listening is now mainly through my iPhone with my SE530 IEMs; the extra bulk and high gain of the Mini^3 isn't really something I want to contend with. The 2nd reason is that the while the Mini^3 is a great little amp, it is just that - an amp.

One of the reasons to carry it with me are for those days when I know I'll be able to take advantage of a longer listening session with my Macbook Pro. Alas most of the time I've found that the native Macbook Pro output has some distortions and occasional flaws. Still I need the amp for those longer listening sessions which are usually with my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/250s.

Because of the occasional flaws in the Macbook Pro output and my source material, I found that I was better served by just using my SE530 IEMs for the majority of my listening. For the most part this doesn't require an external amp.

That will likely change again soon - my Headamp Pico is about to ship and I suspect it will see use with both my iPhone, Macbook Pro and the SE530s. The IEMs are likely to have better synergy with the low gain setting available on the Pico, compared to the fixed 5x gain of the Mini^3.

Of course I am anxiously awaiting the use of the USB DAC in the Pico as an alternate to the native Macbook Pro output. Based on comments and reviews from other Pico users, I will not be dissappointed.

Thankfully the Pico is such a small package that carrying it won't be an issue. Of bigger concern will be carrying the DT770s for use in high-gain mode. Who knows, I might tend to use my SE530 IEMs even more with the Pico in low-gain mode. Only time and experience will tell, but it's definitely something I'm prepared for and looking forward too.
o2smile.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #40 of 59
I have had a bag with headphones and minidisc/ipod that i always carry with me. Now i've added an amp and more iem's, but all in one bag so i have whatever i need/fancy to hand.

BT

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had a bag with headphones and minidisc/ipod that i always carry with me. Now i've added an amp and more iem's, but all in one bag so i have whatever i need/fancy to hand.

All of your eggs in one basket, so to speak
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #42 of 59
I pretty much keep a 8gb 3G nano velcro'd to my Predator and with me all the time, in my cargo shorts pocket, or vest/jacket pocket. But, I just got a 3G iPhone and I'm okay with the headphone out sound so far. Didn't stop me from buying an iPhone compatible LOD just in case
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #43 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pretty much keep a 8gb 3G nano velcro'd to my Predator and with me all the time, in my cargo shorts pocket, or vest/jacket pocket. But, I just got a 3G iPhone and I'm okay with the headphone out sound so far. Didn't stop me from buying an iPhone compatible LOD just in case
biggrin.gif

Larry, are you saying your iPhone 3G sounds as good as a Nano with a Predator attached? If so, that's pretty high praise for the iPhone 3G.

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, are you saying your iPhone 3G sounds as good as a Nano with a Predator attached? If so, that's pretty high praise for the iPhone 3G.

I haven't done a direct comparison, but the iPhone 3G has a nice headphone out. I plugged my HD600 with my 4 foot APS V3 cable into it the other day, and I was blown away and completely taken by surprise over the clarity and transparency it delivers. Normal listening is at 80% iPhone volume for me. I'm actually listening to this setup right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't done a direct comparison, but the iPhone 3G has a nice headphone out. I plugged my HD600 with my 4 foot APS V3 cable into it the other day, and I was blown away and completely taken by surprise over the clarity and transparency it delivers. Normal listening is at 80% iPhone volume for me. I'm actually listening to this setup right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Ditto for me as well. I was so surprised by the SQ that I ordered some Triple Fi's for daily on the go listening.

For travel I still have my 160gb classic with a velcro'd Move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back