Who have you seen thats famous??
Sep 12, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #46 of 78
Got a picture with Mike Tyson at 40th street and 5th ave in NYC in 1989. He was in a Rolls Royce convertible buying ice cream from a guy's cart at a red light. He was actually really nice.

Brushed up against Michael Jackson in full Burkha at work.

I have pictures or shaken hands with

Yao Ming
Barry Sanders
Don Mattingly
Mike Strahan
Dave Winfield
Jorge Posada
Bill Clinton
Jose Canseco
John Travolta
Jack Lemmon
Heidi Klum
Sylvester Stallone

Didnt Bother:
Adam Duritz
Sam Jackson
Alan Cumming
Bill Murray
Bernard Goetz
Eric Stoltz (I was eating at the table next to him and I didnt recognize him because he looked fat)

Sep 12, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #47 of 78
Jim Belushi cut in front of me in line at Starbucks in Manhattan. I tapped him on the shoulder and I though we were going to go at it, until he saw who he was messing with
blink.gif

I ended up buying him a Latte. I believe my line to him was something like, "It's the least I can do after you made me laugh for so many years".
He had no problem accepting the Latte. He must have been between jobs (j/k).

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #49 of 78
I saw Larry King casually (and I mean casually) strolling past fifth ave. Didn't even bother stopping him since I've heard he's not exactly the nicest person.

I also saw Tobe Mcguire filming Spiderman by my house a few years ago. It was one of the scenes where he swings from one house to another. That was pretty cool and unexpected

Also met a few local newsmen. Other than that not much.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #50 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a Rangers/Canadiens playoff game I just about literally bumped into Mike Richter, Jeff Beukuboom and Brian Leetch in Montreal.

Oh man, how I would have killed to be you that day...

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ate Lunch once with Colin Chapman, Innes Ireland, and Masten Gregory.

Have eaten at a little Trattoria with Mario Andretti there - also have shaken his hand in the pits at Watkins Glen.

Took a ride in a Mini (The real one) with Stirling Moss.

Wow. I was a BIG F1 fan as a kid; haven't seen a reference to these names in a long while.

I was always a Lotus fan; Colin Chapman is a freaking legend! That's so cool...And Stirling Moss? If I was gonna have a five second conversation with any race driver, it would have been Stirling Moss. I read the memoir that his navigator wrote about their epic run in the Mille Miglia. Can't remember the guy's name, but this was one of the best sports-reads of my youth.

And Mario Andretti? Damn.

Truth be told, if I could meet any great driver, I'd probably choose Moss or A.J. Foyt.

Do you remember the race reports that Rob Walker used to write for Road and Track? My dad had a subscription; I just ate that stuff up! I don't know why I drifted away from following the sport...but wow, those names fired neurons in my brain that probably assumed they were retired...

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #52 of 78
I don't have very many celebrity encounters. One time I started walking into a Circle K in my home town and noticed that Charles Barkley and Michael Jordan were walking out the door just as I was exiting my truck. I nodded as I walked by them. The ladies behind the counter were wildly screaming when I got inside.

When I was about 10 my dad met Walter Payton. I believe he was participating in some sort of parade in our town and as the parade was ending in a municipal maintenance yard one of my father's employee's was getting Walter's signature. My dad says that he walked up behind his guy to talk to him when he was finished receiving his autograph. Well, after Walter finished he turned to my father and asked, "Do you want my autograph, too?"

My dad jokingly replied, "No. Do you want my autograph?" Dad said he chuckled, turned around and walked away to his car.

Sep 12, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #53 of 78
Oh yeah, I once made coffee for the band "Blur" when I was a barrista. Seemed like nice enough blokes.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #54 of 78
I moonlighted as a concert rigger for a while. I saw tons of band members.

Most memorable was a Prince concert. The tour manager (part of the road crew) actually told the local crew (us) not to look into Prince's eyes. That's how dumb the road crew in general can be. Every last person with the local crew, of course, stared at Prince like he was on fire. There was not much chance to see him, though. They shuffled him around like he was Salman Rushdie. (Roadies are mostly complete horse ass, disgruntled, nincompoops with lot's of pseudo power, and wield it they will. To their credit, they kind of have to be that way since they must unpack, put together, run, tear down, and repack a complete "theatre" in usually one day.)

Side Note: If there are any concert Lighting Directors (LD's) out there, I offer this: don't piss off the local crew. If they're a pissy bunch, they'll botch their cues on purpose and use the spots to scope chicks in the audience, and there's nothing you can do short of stopping the concert. Actually, most of the LD's were pretty cool, but still...

Authors:
Hunter Thompson (kind of annoying)
Kurt Vonnegut

Actors:
Melanie Griffith
Oliver Stone

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #55 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I was a BIG F1 fan as a kid; haven't seen a reference to these names in a long while.

I was always a Lotus fan; Colin Chapman is a freaking legend! That's so cool...And Stirling Moss? If I was gonna have a five second conversation with any race driver, it would have been Stirling Moss. I read the memoir that his navigator wrote about their epic run in the Mille Miglia. Can't remember the guy's name, but this was one of the best sports-reads of my youth.

And Mario Andretti? Damn.

Truth be told, if I could meet any great driver, I'd probably choose Moss or A.J. Foyt.

Do you remember the race reports that Rob Walker used to write for Road and Track? My dad had a subscription; I just ate that stuff up! I don't know why I drifted away from following the sport...but wow, those names fired neurons in my brain that probably assumed they were retired...

My cousin dated A.J. Foyt's grand daughter during elementary school, he is only 13 now so it was a few years ago. I know my aunt and uncle have met him a few times and my cousin got to see the warehouse (the lucky SOB).

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #56 of 78
When I was in high school, I worked as a bus boy at a restaurant near an outdoor concert venue. We'd get the bands coming in for lunch or for dinner after the show. A few off of the top of my head that ate in my section were Kansas, the Beach Boys, Tom Jones, and Barry Manilow.

Another bus boy wanted a used ashtray from Barry Manilow's table for his "girl friend" . After Manilow left, he was waiting for me in the kitchen. He searched through the bus tray looking for the ash tray, which since no one smoked, I left on the table. The ended up sticking a fork in his pocket.
rolleyes.gif

Because of a plane breakdown, United put me in first class from Chicago to LA. I sat next to Bryant Gumble. This was back in the early 80s when he was still a sports caster. I felt sorry for him because people wouldn't leave him alone.

Working in DC, I see political types on occasion. A few month ago James Carville was behind me in line at Starbucks. I've seen quite a few senators and congress men.

Walking into work a few years ago, I was reading news paper headlines in the paper boxes when I walked into a security guy for Mexican President Vicente Fox. Ariel Sharron stayed in a hotel around the corner from my office and I saw him come out and hurriedly get into a car. They had closed off the roads for one block in every direction.

I work 3 blocks from the White House so I've seen the Presidential motorcade frequently. Ever since Reagan was shot you can't see anything though. The windows are tinted and when they get to the destination, the car drives into a tent before the President gets out. The tent is attached to a side or back door of the building.

A few years ago, my wife and I decided to go to our neighborhood pizza parlor straight from the airport after a vacation. As we were pulling into the parking lot, a big black Suburban came in the wrong way and blocked the entrance. Attorney General John Ashcroft got out and went into the pizza parlor. They told him it was a 45 minute wait with no exceptions for anyone.
icon10.gif
He ended up eating in a neighboring restaurant. The Secret Service van ended up parking in the only handicapped space. My wife, who is disabled and a civil rights activist, wanted to call the police on the Secret Service and take a picture of them illegally parked. Fortunately, I was able to talk her out of it.

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #57 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was doing some landscaping across the road from his house, back in 2000, and we were on lunch in the truck. Intially, we didn't know that the house across the road was his. But, he came out and started playing BB with his nephew in the driveway and the guy I was working with dared me to jump into their game...so, I did. Looking back, it was rather uncouth of me to do that...but what did I know about manners back then, I was 19!

Lol!!! Did you ask to play or you just straight jumped in? Either way thats sweet!

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #58 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol!!! Did you ask to play or you just straight jumped in? Either way thats sweet!

I don't remember exactly what I said, but I believe it was something like "Hit me" holding my hands out ready for a pass. It only lasted a few minutes...still a cool story to tell.

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #59 of 78
You guys have some interesting experiences!!! I live in a small town so my odds of seeing someone is very low...

Sep 12, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't remember exactly what I said, but I believe it was something like "Hit me" holding my hands out ready for a pass. It only lasted a few minutes...still a cool story to tell.

Lol!!! Thats hilarious!! Definatley a story to tell!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back