Who have you seen thats famous??
Sep 11, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #31 of 78
In NYC, you can kind of trip over famous folk sometimes. Moby was at a table to my right last week; it was a Nellie McKay show. A couple of months ago, I looked down the aisle at this really small inexpensive Thai restaurant in Soho and saw Lauren Graham of the Gilmore Girls sitting with some people. I remember seeing a barely-recognizable Val Kilmer (he was heavily bearded) eating a couple of times right around the corner from there. Also, one time I passed a guy in an ATM vestibule and noticed his height; I looked up and it was Ric Ocasek of the Cars.

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #32 of 78
i have seen a few uk minor celebs out and about - to name but a few: i have seen shakin stevens at a shoot, the royal family at a wedding, nick knowles at subway, john barnes loading his car with goodies from dixons, steven gerrard, roy keane, peter schmichael, michael owen, john prescott, paul burrell, anthony wilson (R.I.P), most of hollyoaks whilst filming, gordon burns, gerald grosvenor, (richest individual in britain for long time), damon hill at a race, most of manchester united FC in a bar in cheadle, nick faldo at british open, colin montgomery, bernard langer at lytham st annes, some chick from brookside in liverpool, paul mcartney and brother mike, ken dodd, frank bruno

all at the sin city premiere, frank miller, jessica alba, bruce willis and rest of main cast who signed sin city stuff for me.
cool.gif

yadda yadda yadda

Sep 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #34 of 78
I saw Ace Frehley of KISS at Manny's Guitar shop in NYC years ago. I was just looking at an Ibanez 'Roadster Series' guitar, and he says to me "those things are like buttah"! His anonymous friend he was with replies, "I wouldnt touch one of those with a ten foot pick". I don't remember much of the small talk after that!

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #35 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I played basketball with Kevin Garnett and his nephew in his driveway.

That is HUGE! How did that happen?

Thanks guys for the responces, It's intersting to hear all of the stories!

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #36 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is HUGE! How did that happen?

I was doing some landscaping across the road from his house, back in 2000, and we were on lunch in the truck. Intially, we didn't know that the house across the road was his. But, he came out and started playing BB with his nephew in the driveway and the guy I was working with dared me to jump into their game...so, I did. Looking back, it was rather uncouth of me to do that...but what did I know about manners back then, I was 19!

Sep 11, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #38 of 78
The normal but infrequent sightings at while traveling with work (the highlight being traveling on the same plane as Yasmin Le Bon a few years back returning from Milan) are eclipsed by the privileged two years I spent living in Windsor Park while at University. I met various members of the royal family, cabinet ministers, but most notably the Queen, a slightly surreal but memorable experience!

Sep 11, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #39 of 78
I met Wim Wenders in the San Diego airport years ago. It was right after the Sundance film festival. He was on the same flight as i was out of SLC.

I did not recognize him at the time, which is a pisser, 'cause i'm a big fan.

At the time, I just wondered, "Who is this little german guy flying out of salt lake right after sundance with a huge round hard-case?!"

Didn't even realize until hours later that it was a travel case for a full-length film can.

Boy did i feel dumb when i stumbled across recent pics of Wenders and realized who it was.

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #40 of 78
A few authors (George Saunders twice including yesterday, Elie Wiesel, etc.), and a few actors (Harvey Keitel, Steve Buscemim, Paul Giamatti, Vincent Gallo, Nike Nolte trashed out of his skull, etc.) mostly. My favorite meeting is getting into situations three years in a row with Roger Ebert at Sundance. It became a joke with my friends. Either we'd walk smack into each other in the dark or we'd gun for the same parking space (he almost crashed in some snow - his eyes were huge after). Great guy to talk to (hopefully he'll get his voice back).

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #41 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not get to meet her but my sister's roomate at prep school was Wynona Rider, who slept over at my house but was crying the whole time because her grandfather had just died.

Oh dude you could have been Redshifter Scissorhands to that fine piece of crazy dark-haired bereaving mess.

Sep 11, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #42 of 78
I've met more authors than i know.

Seriously. I've probably met two dozen published authors that i couldn't tell you the names of.

Like i met Orson Card, but at the time he was just the guy with the bad hair at Carl's house.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #43 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, authors! Met Carl Hiaasen in Pensacola FL at the Barnes & Noble bookstore, got my copy of Skinny Dip signed
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #44 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously. I've probably met two dozen published authors that i couldn't tell you the names of.

Like i met Orson Card, but at the time he was just the guy with the bad hair at Carl's house.

I've met several authors too, including Card. Not two dozen though... Plus, he didn't have bad hair when I met him...

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #45 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh dude you could have been Redshifter Scissorhands to that fine piece of crazy dark-haired bereaving mess.

I'd like to trim her hedge.

Speaking of authors I met the sci-fi author John Varley. He wrote the trilogy "Wizard" "Demon" and "Titan". Very cool, laid back old gent. He signed all my books I brought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back