Who has an end game setup?
May 25, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #46 of 834
Quote:
I was really impressed with the t1s with the woo amp.I think if I'd had that combo I wouldn't have ended up with hd800's and 3 sets of stax. But then again who am I kidding I'd have found a way to justify it. That's a classic dead simple top class endgame. The rainy days are taken up with audeze hd800s and he500s . Truly a bunch of world class headphones there
smily_headphones1.gif

you too!  
beerchug.gif

May 25, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #48 of 834
Quote:
Dubstep Girl, you need some Stax in your life :)

if i ever get a stax, i would have to save up since i'd only be really interested in the upper models (the comfy looking ones that are round and not square (ie. the omegas and 009) 
wink.gif
)

May 25, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #50 of 834
Quote:
The square Lambda's are comfy as well. As much as any other flagship headphones are be it HE-5, LCD's or the T1.

i wouldn't consider my hifimans or audeze to be comfortable, but rather, tolerable. im sure the square stax are comfortable enough, they just don't look as good as the round stax. though i haven't seen one in real life, they might be better in real life. 

May 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #53 of 834
Quote:
I was not familiar with either your amp or dac but I am in hushed awe of those 2 components to your setup. I have owned the lcd2 previously and can understand why you are finished at those phones too.
This was the endgamer I was looking :)for

To be honest, had I gotten the Linn few years back, I could have ended this with Dynahi and HD650. Yes, the source IS that important.

May 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #54 of 834
I haven't made a change in a long while.  

Analog:
VPI Scout > Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood > Clearaudio Basic Plus > WA5LE > Toxic Cable > HD800

Digital:
MacBook Pro > Fidelia > Wyred4Sound DAC2 > WA5LE > Toxic Cable > HD800 / Genelec 8040 speakers

The WA5LE has EML 5U4G Mesh rectifiers, EML Mesh 300B, and Sylvania 6SN7 drivers. 

I'm tweaking the analog side to add a battery on the phono stage-- that's been on backorder for 5 months, though.  The digital side won't change any time soon.  It's perfect.

Spending my money on new (er-- used) vinyl.  It's about the music now.

May 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #55 of 834
I haven't made a change in a long while.  

Analog:
VPI Scout > Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood > Clearaudio Basic Plus > WA5LE > Toxic Cable > HD800

Digital:
MacBook Pro > Fidelia > Wyred4Sound DAC2 > WA5LE > Toxic Cable > HD800 / Genelec 8040 speakers

The WA5LE has EML 5U4G Mesh rectifiers, EML Mesh 300B, and Sylvania 6SN7 drivers. 

I'm tweaking the analog side to add a battery on the phono stage-- that's been on backorder for 5 months, though.  The digital side won't change any time soon.  It's perfect.

Spending my money on new (er-- used) vinyl.  It's about the music now.

Hiya , the hd800 at the heart of your set up that's great. I have battery set ups for my dac head amps cd player even my energiser and amp . Not necessarily for improvement simply to enable music off the grid.

May 26, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #56 of 834
I'm only in need (if you can call it that!) of a good 'stat amp and I'm happy.  I've already sorted out what I want for travel and portability and I have that pretty much.

May 26, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #57 of 834
I haven't changed anything in my setup for over a year, simply because I haven't felt the need to upgrade. In fact, the only thing that has crossed my mind is downgrading.

Do you recall when you had an inferior system than you have now, but the actual enjoyment of your music was not any worse? I remember how happy I was with an HD650 and a Musical Fidelity X-Can v3. I most likely would not be as happy with it now, since I have tasted the fruit of electrostats, but I would probably still be very happy with a smaller, less expensive system.

May 26, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #58 of 834
Quote:
Do you recall when you had an inferior system than you have now, but the actual enjoyment of your music was not any worse? 

I ponder that quite a bit. I certainly enjoyed myself back when I had HD-600s and found an amp that matched well with them. I think when you find good system synergy, that can matter more than how expensive or resolving the entire system is for a lot of music.

May 26, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #59 of 834
To me a set-up could mean multiple headphones with multiple components. For example I currently have only 1 headphone, but 3 amps. I listen to a broad genre of music and different songs go better with different amps. None of my amps are superior to the other 2 for every song that I listen to, you can find at least 1-2 songs where the listening experience is more enjoyable with a 'different sound signature'.

Perhaps you could argue I haven't found that one particular 'end game' set-up that consist of one headphone/amp/etc.., but I highly suspect there isn't one. I guess the same could be said for owning multiple headphones. 

May 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #60 of 834
I haven't changed anything in my setup for over a year, simply because I haven't felt the need to upgrade. In fact, the only thing tswappedrossed my mind is downgrading.

Do you recall when you had an inferior system than you have now, but the actual enjoyment of your music was not any worse? I remember how happy I was with an HD650 and a Musical Fidelity X-Can v3. I most likely would not be as happy with it now, since I have tasted the fruit of electrostats, but I would probably still be very happy with a smaller, less expensive system.

I think you've got a very special system and it's the result of lots of research working out what's perfect for your musical tastes. I've been thinking of a way in which a setup might be borrowed or tried or maybe swapped for a short while with there being no possibility of purchase. I reckon when you went back to your own you'd appreciate it all the more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back