Who has an end game setup?
May 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #92 of 834
Quote:
The horizon is in sight but I'm not quite there yet.

I'm thinking a new speaker amp, an LCD3, and a Dynavector cartridge for my TT. Then cable upgrades and that's about it.

Unless I get a chance to hear the Liquid Lightening II, that could ruin everything for me...

May 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #93 of 834
No closed headphone endgamers out there? Fostex or beyer t5? Mdr10s are closed headphones I think.
I was thinking mamy might be settled with the sound signatures of the akg k1000s or the taket over ears. Both headphones it's an ambition to at least have a listen to. Surely either of these are the bezt to some headfiers ears?
Ambitions realised so far are owning lcd2 r2s (sold) owning hd800's (had for 6 months) owning stax sigma pros(had for a month). Listening ambitions realised : all thanks to the london headfi meet - orpheus, ps1000, t1, sr007 mk1 and 2,.
Yet to realise : he6, akg1000 , jeklin float, taket, sr009, he60, mdr10 bass or no bass.
Woo audio (anything) bhse, beta22, lavry, benchmark, dx100, tera player, colorfly c4
There's a whole world left for me to explore. Some of you have heard all of these and are satisfied you have reached the pinnacle. This makes you as legendary as this kit :)

May 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #95 of 834
Quote:
Quote:
The horizon is in sight but I'm not quite there yet.

I'm thinking a new speaker amp, an LCD3, and a Dynavector cartridge for my TT. Then cable upgrades and that's about it.

Unless I get a chance to hear the Liquid Lightening II, that could ruin everything for me...

...unless I actually downgrade my top headphone. It's entirely possible!

May 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #96 of 834
Quote:
@ mulveling -

Sounds hopeless to me. You'll never find the end game. Got any headphones in the mix?

Sold all the good headphone gear a few years back to fund the 2ch speaker "endgame". At various times I had the Sony R10, Qualia 010, AT L3000, Grado HP2, etc. Didn't find the 1 headphone that "did it all" for me in that batch. The Qualia 010 came closest overall but has that slightly weird midrange (and fit issues), the L3000 was superb for rock music (so was the Qualia, but with a way different tonal balance), the R10 was phenomenal for classical (Qualia also extremely strong here) but not so good for rock, and the HP2 was a very nice all-'rounder but at a level below the Sony models. Never quite had a top-class source & balanced amp to match them, though.

Finally found what I was looking for in speaker-land, though many other speaker models yielded no pleasure (i.e. give me headphones any day over them). Never went the Stax route, either; wasn't blown away when I'd heard the Stax 007, and the Orpheus system isn't my bag either. Exited the headphone high-end before the next wave of HD800 / Audeze / Stax 009. Now I just get by with an HD650 through a maxed PPA when I've gotta listen through headphones. Cheap, and I do enjoy their sound, though they won't compete with "endgame" gear.

May 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #97 of 834
Quote:
No closed headphone endgamers out there? Fostex or beyer t5? Mdr10s are closed headphones I think.
I was thinking mamy might be settled with the sound signatures of the akg k1000s or the taket over ears. Both headphones it's an ambition to at least have a listen to. Surely either of these are the bezt to some headfiers ears?
Ambitions realised so far are owning lcd2 r2s (sold) owning hd800's (had for 6 months) owning stax sigma pros(had for a month). Listening ambitions realised : all thanks to the london headfi meet - orpheus, ps1000, t1, sr007 mk1 and 2,.
Yet to realise : he6, akg1000 , jeklin float, taket, sr009, he60, mdr10 bass or no bass.
Woo audio (anything) bhse, beta22, lavry, benchmark, dx100, tera player, colorfly c4
There's a whole world left for me to explore. Some of you have heard all of these and are satisfied you have reached the pinnacle. This makes you as legendary as this kit
smily_headphones1.gif

I already said the W3000ANV before. The R10s are closer to being open headphones, than a closed IMO. I didn't really get the R10 hype, but they were really good headphones. Not as good as the proper open headphones though.

May 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #98 of 834
All out-of-production products have a bit of hype inflating their image, arising from rarity and prestige. They are still amazingly good products though and it's a shame they're no longer available.

"Endgame" becomes much cheaper if you go objectivist. That way you only need to spend tons of money on your headphones and can afford to be frugal in other electronics. (I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it saves you a ton of money here.)

I spent 3.5 years listening to nothing but my JH13s (there should be a gap in my post history reflecting this). I still prefer them to most endgame setups I've heard, up to and including the SR-007 BHSE combo. My ears are on the look(?)-out for the LCD-3s or SR-009 though.

May 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #99 of 834
All out-of-production products have a bit of hype inflating their image, arising from rarity and prestige. They are still amazingly good products though and it's a shame they're no longer available.

"Endgame" becomes much cheaper if you go objectivist. That way you only need to spend tons of money on your headphones and can afford to be frugal in other electronics. (I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it saves you a ton of money here.)

I spent 3.5 years listening to nothing but my JH13s (there should be a gap in my post history reflecting this). I still prefer them to most endgame setups I've heard, up to and including the SR-007 BHSE combo.

Your jh13 would have been a candidate for the ultimate endgame headphone, being that it can be worn in any situation indoors or outdoors needs very little power so any source can drive them and they're clearly incredibly good iems. If they're an 007/bhse beater to your ears that would suit as an endgame for many I'm sure.
Another product to put on my list to audition.
There is a truth in what you say about rarer out of production headphones getting legendary status that might seem out of proportion to today's models which are on sale in lots of places and easier therefore to try out.
If only 1 person has a headphone and never takes it to a meet and reckons it's shimmering in bass clarity naturalness etc etc therell be no one out there to contradict and bring said headfier crashing down to earth with the much needed reality checks that are regularly dished out.
Luckily we inhabit a world of well experienced headphone madmen and the ability to sniff out bs is as well honed as the ability to spot a soundstage from a beatbox:)

May 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #100 of 834
Having been Lucky enough to audition pretty much every current and some past flagship, i can honestly say that i have no plans to upgrade my system, now, i realise that it's a modest setup, especially when you consider that it would be end all system.

I know that there are pricier, and very good sounding sources, dacs, amps and of course, headphones out there, but i am very happy with my modest setup, wich consist of a Yamaha
DVD-S2700 source, a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 amp, and Grado, GS-PS-HP1000.

May 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #101 of 834
Quote:
This is Head-Fi.
While ever your wallet is not dead, you don't have an end-game system.

If someone says they have, it means that their wallet has permanently haemorrhaged or they are not true Head-Fiers.

Well, I can afford headphones and/or amps that are more expensive than what I have now (HE-500, EF5, and Sansui 8080bd vintage receiver) but the headphones are the best I've heard so I have no desire to upgrade. I've been able to audition T1's, HD 700 and 800, HE-6 and others so it's not like I've only heard cheaper ones. Heck, I've even heard a couple of Stax models but wasn't overly impressed. Then again, I know that price doesn't always equate to better sound or performance.

So, call me not a true Head-Fier. See if I care. 
tongue_smile.gif

May 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #102 of 834
iMac with amarra and about to put windows in it so that I can use jplay >JK Ciunas> Apex Peak-Volcano with all kinds of 6sn7s> slinote cables >hardwired LCD 2 , HE500 with plusound hybrid x6 cable, W3000.
Sony laptop>JKDAC 32> Quad 99 pre amp, CD player and 909 amp> spendor SP1 with kimber and silnote cables
May get the quad amp modded in the future but mostly for the hell of it , not because I feel that it needs it.
iPod classic all uncompressed files> Sony Idevice DAC and amp > DT1350, ESW9, westone 3

May 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #104 of 834
In about a month or so my highest end system will be PC -> Stello U3 w/ Aqvox power supply -> NAD M51 -> Eddie Current Electra -> SR009 all powered by a BPT 1 Signature.  That's probably as high as I'll go.  For dynamics I already have those source components plugged into an Eddie Current Balancing Act which typically gets used with either my TH900's or HD800's.

Besides those I have JKSPDIF MK3 -> Burson Conductor -> LCD3 as a secondary setup in another part of the house and some decent IEMs and sealed portables.

I could probably look into better DACs in the future, but *shrug* I'm starting to feel like this is a good stopping point for a good long while.

May 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #105 of 834
Your rigs look pretty solid to me
beerchug.gif

Quote:
In about a month or so my highest end system will be PC -> Stello U3 w/ Aqvox power supply -> NAD M51 -> Eddie Current Electra -> SR009 all powered by a BPT 1 Signature.  That's probably as high as I'll go.  For dynamics I already have those source components plugged into an Eddie Current Balancing Act which typically gets used with either my TH900's or HD800's.

Besides those I have JKSPDIF MK3 -> Burson Conductor -> LCD3 as a secondary setup in another part of the house and some decent IEMs and sealed portables.

I could probably look into better DACs in the future, but *shrug* I'm starting to feel like this is a good stopping point for a good long while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back