Who got headphones?
Dec 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #31 of 66
If I may make a suggestion.
Don't get sucked into kidding yourself that they have improved after "burn in".
Personally I don't believe but even if you do be aware that it is very easy to convince yourself of what you want to be true.
Have a search for burn in on here if you want to see a never ending dispute!
Anyway. Another thought.
I recently auditioned all the Beyers with a friend.
We ended up preferring the Sennheiser 600 by miles.
A billy bargain in our opinion.
It's open so that's out.
How about making a virtue if necessity and trying IEM's instead?

Finally someone who is talking sense.

The amount of times I hear burn them in for 300Hours..Wut. It's just ridulous that people throw the words burn in around too much.

Here's my view on it.

When you buy a headphone things like ear pads have no been used yet and these can effect the sound. When the pads have been worn in which may take a couple of days then you hear some small changes mainly Bass response. Other things are getting used to the new signature, for example the V-Moda M100 have a soft sound that is not harsh in the treble. You pick up say a pair of DT770 and first thing you notice is the Treble is a bit bright. after a few days you hear it less because your ears are adjusting to it and people think this is because the headphones have "settled down"

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #32 of 66
Nope. I think some headphones do burn in. My DT770s are a prime example. I tried them, they were alright. I sit them aside and played pink noise and music through them for probably two days straight without listening to them. Tried them again and they were different, better. It wasn't because I was used to them or that the earpads were broken in or anything like that because I didn't use them for a couple days. 

Now my Grados, many hours of use with them and other than switching pads or modding them, I don't hear any difference now than I did on day one. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #33 of 66
I've owned 3 pairs of DT770 and they sounded exactly the same from the time I had got them. People just think the signature is going to change it's not. Now i'm not doubting you, sure there is a possibility that the drives need to loosen up a tad on some and this could result in some minor changes but when people say a certain headphone needs 300+ plus hours of burn in and to expect a dramatic change it just sounds like a big exaggeration.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #34 of 66
  That's really strange, the DT770 are one of the best closed headphones that can produce a good stage. The CAL shouldn't even be close! I'm wondering if the problem is your Fiio E10??

It might be worth trying the D600. it's soundstage is really impressive and it is at the higher end of midfi approaching Hifi along with the D5000 and Mad dog.

other good soundstage headphones
dENON D2000/D5000
Mad Dogs
AKG K550(a bit boring sounding though)
Soundmagic HP100

Thank you for the suggestions, I like the look of the soundmagic ones. Would either be those or the denon d600's, are either an "upgrade" from the dt770's though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC-HP100-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B0086YJ86Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388174913&sr=8-1&keywords=Soundmagic+HP100

Only £30 more than the dt770's.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #35 of 66
  I've owned 3 pairs of DT770 and they sounded exactly the same from the time I had got them. People just think the signature is going to change it's not. Now i'm not doubting you, sure there is a possibility that the drives need to loosen up a tad on some and this could result in some minor changes but when people say a certain headphone needs 300+ plus hours of burn in and to expect a dramatic change it just sounds like a big exaggeration.

Same. I don't believe in it. I think what happens is that people stop examining the HP and start enjoying the music. I've never heard a difference in anything after x hours.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #36 of 66
The Soundmagic are more of a side grade. I recommended them because they have a decent soundstage and are thinner sounding so will give you a better feeling of a stage. I actually prefer the DT770 over the HP100 I find them more musical and fun sounding without being too coloured.

The D600 I would say are more of an upgrade because they do what the DT770 do but cleaner and better texture to the Bass. The soundstage is also wider and deeper and they are very pleasant to listen too. They look stunning too! You get a lot more for your money with the Denon.

Bass D600>DT770>HP100

Soundstage D600>DT770>HP100 (for some reason you are not having this experience but like I said with the thinner sound on the HP you may get better sense of stage)

Mids D600>HP100>DT770 (The d600 mids are a tad behind the HP100 but the quality is better and they have a nicer tone to them and are a bit thicker)

Treble D600>DT770>HP100

Comfort D600>DT770>HP100

Build DT770>D600>HP100 (The DT770 are the most robust and durable headphones ever made)

Dec 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #37 of 66
  The Soundmagic are more of a side grade. I recommended them because they have a decent soundstage and are thinner sounding so will give you a better feeling of a stage. I actually prefer the DT770 over the HP100 I find them more musical and fun sounding without being too coloured.

The D600 I would say are more of an upgrade because they do what the DT770 do but cleaner and better texture to the Bass. The soundstage is also wider and deeper and they are very pleasant to listen too. They look stunning too! You get a lot more for your money with the Denon.

Bass D600>DT770>HP100

Soundstage D600>DT770>HP100 (for some reason you are not having this experience but like I said with the thinner sound on the HP you may get better sense of stage)

Mids D600>HP100>DT770 (The d600 mids are a tad behind the HP100 but the quality is better and they have a nicer tone to them and are a bit thicker)

Treble D600>DT770>HP100

Comfort D600>DT770>HP100

Build DT770>D600>HP100 (The DT770 are the most robust and durable headphones ever made)

Thank you so much for the advice =)

"Build DT770>D600>HP100 (The DT770 are the most robust and durable headphones ever made)" - It is really funny you should say that, as a major reason I want to send back my dt770s, is that they have came with the labels hanging off them. The "dtt 770 pro 80 ohm", labels on the side are hanging off. Which is annoying me to no end. I could have gotten a cheap budget set of headphones at half the price that have the same sound but cheap out on the build/materials. I went with beyer because of the very good build quality reviews that they constantly receive. I guess I just got a dud off the factory line.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #38 of 66
Thank you so much for the advice =)

"Build DT770>D600>HP100 (The DT770 are the most robust and durable headphones ever made)" - It is really funny you should say that, as a major reason I want to send back my dt770s, is that they have came with the labels hanging off them. The "dtt 770 pro 80 ohm", labels on the side are hanging off. Which is annoying me to no end. I could have gotten a cheap budget set of headphones at half the price that have the same sound but cheap out on the build/materials. I went with beyer because of the very good build quality reviews that they constantly receive. I guess I just got a dud off the factory line.

You definitely got a dud. They are very well made headphones for sure. There are very few as well made, especially for the price. The m100 are ones that come immediately to mind that are extremely well built and they are $300

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #39 of 66
That's really Odd. I have literally dropped mine from 15ft from a ladder. Sat on them, chucked them in my back pack and the worse they had was some grazes. It sounds like the pair you got is bad luck!

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #40 of 66
Ah well, I guess I will send them back for another pair then. As I love the comfort and the style/looks of them, and as I get used to them more day by day they are starting to sound better. Must be my ears adjusting to them, first few days even on low volume my ears would throb before bed.

Would I benefit at all, by going with the 250ohms instead of the 80ohms. Since I have a dedicated dac/amp, the reason I went with the 80 omhs was because they had a straight cable and I like to lay back and watch movies/listen to music in bed.

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #41 of 66
Nvm the m100's.

About the denon d600's, what is the build quality like. Is it better than there lower end stuff that breaks often, i.e the Cals. I am very tempted to put the extra £60 towards the d600's, while I have the money to do so.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #42 of 66
Personally, I don't care for the dennons. I LOVED the 770 250 ohm, they were my favorite of the 770 series. I prefer coiled cables though and the bass was cleaner and tighter than the others, IMO. The bass wasn't nearly as flabby like it is on the 80 ohm. For me the 250 ohm is a great closed can. I have not been fortunate to test the 32 ohm yet.

My biggest complaint and really only one is ALWAYS needing an amp to listen. Most of my listening is done while traveling so that got annoying.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #43 of 66
Personally, I don't care for the dennons. I LOVED the 770 250 ohm, they were my favorite of the 770 series. I prefer coiled cables though and the bass was cleaner and tighter than the others, IMO. The bass wasn't nearly as flabby like it is on the 80 ohm. For me the 250 ohm is a great closed can. I have not been fortunate to test the 32 ohm yet.

My biggest complaint and really only one is ALWAYS needing an amp to listen. Most of my listening is done while traveling so that got annoying.

Another vote for the DT770/250s. I have a NuForce MMP which is quite small and runs ~8 hours on battery or you can just leave it plugged into a laptop or other power source if you're sitting still.  I do EQ the bass down a little and a tiny bump in the 3k range, but we're talking 1 or 2 db. They still sound pretty good flat eq as well.

Dec 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #44 of 66
The M100 have problems with cracking. The DT770 do more things better than the M100 too apart from styling. The M100 are very oddly tuned, good bass but the mids sound like they are coming from a tunnel so you loose a lot of detail. They are great fro things like dubstep though but I'd still pick the DT770

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #45 of 66
  Nvm the m100's.

About the denon d600's, what is the build quality like. Is it better than there lower end stuff that breaks often, i.e the Cals. I am very tempted to put the extra £60 towards the d600's, while I have the money to do so.

It's really good. It's made of plastic but it doesn't feel cheap by any mean, the white part is made of glass fiber I think and the round part with the Denon badge is metal; the earpads are super comfy as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back