Who Goes To Church On Sunday:
Nov 26, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #46 of 77
I challenge you to stop trolling this thread. My beliefs are as legitimate as yours, and you'll note I didn't refer to yours as a "stage" or attempt to convert you to mine.

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #48 of 77
I am not really trying to convert you. Just giving you an opportunity to try something out. I was just throwing it out as a suggestion.

And I talked about it as a stage because that is just what it was. It was a stage in my life. It has passed away, and now I'm in a different stage in my life and beliefs. I think that this one will last a while.

I didn't say you had to do it or you would burn in hell. I wasn't compelling you to do it. I was just giving you an option.

I guess I did say I challenge you. I should have worded it in more tolerant language. I didn't mean to come off as preachy or offend you in any way.

Oh, and Jessica, You actually get more answers than you expect. Or at least that is what I found. And talking to a priest doesn't hurt.

I'm sorry if I offended anybody by the last post or this post.

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #50 of 77
Quote:

Thinking that you will cease to exist is damn depressing.

wow dohminator, even with all the crap you're getting, I have to agree here. I recently "faltered" a bit, shall we say. But now I'm back, I guess. It really is depressing to think that now you're 16, and time really is flying. And who knows, you blink, and you're 80! I really have to believe that there's something after.

Nov 26, 2002 at 2:45 AM Post #51 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
only answer i can think of getting is one out of my own logic from voicing the question out loud. thats just plain old psychology...

Not to join the fray, but I'll have to agree...
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrzejpw: I've thought of that, too. No matter what happens, you'll never be in the same situation twice (unless the universe is cyclical, but then you won't be able to remember being in the same situation, so we get into "if a tree falls in the woods" questions...) so I just decided to make the best of what I've got and life life so I can look back when I'm 80 and be satisfied (not wishing "if only I did that instead of this..."). For me, I don't think that I'll cease to exist, I know I'm going to cease to exist by the standards of 'earthly' living, i.e. being able to visit Head-Fi. Regardless of the existence of Heaven/Hell/Paradise/The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, as far as I know, I'm only a teenager once. (pretty depressing, eh?) And given the amount of controversy surrounding the afterlife (who's to say the Egyptians aren't right? The Hindus/Buddhists? {grouped together because they both believe in reincarnation}.

The logical conclusion to all that is that it doesn't matter, in the long run. You can't cover all the bases, so pick one, stick with it, and hope you're right.

Hence all the hobbies
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #52 of 77
I've read all the divergent point of view expressed in this thread, and I'm amazed and gratified by the tolerance, mutual respect and gentleness with one another that you all demostrate. It really seems that we who enjoy headphones are really very special people. I wonder why we differ so from so many others of the human race who do such harm and whose bad deeds we see described in the daily news.

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #54 of 77
Music is good for the soul. And we like it at its best.

People that are hurting each other are bad because the sound coming out of their el cheapo headphones is horrible.

Guys I think I have come accross a great idea.

The Church of Head-fi.

The only tenant is that you must give people the opportunity to listen to high end sound. We must make it available to the masses. The conversions will come and then the world peace.

Of course we need to find some way to get poor people good quality audio equipment. hmmm.

Since I came up with the idea, that means I get to be the leader. and as your payment for my leadership, you must buy me high end headphones and other related epuipment

mwahahahaha

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #55 of 77
Mike:
You too, eh?
smily_headphones1.gif

I've always wondered about that. It can't just be that we're into something 'off the beaten track' - just look at some of the romping in AudioAsylum!

Maybe it's just that we grew (and are growing) fairly slowly - we started out as a small group of hardcore fanatics who all respected each other enough that this respect stayed as people slowly joined and the community growed. Kind of like how if you cool liquid iron really fast, it's very hard, brittle, and has lots of tiny clusters of iron crystals, but if you let it cool down very slowly (like in annealing) you relieve all the internal stresses and get big crystals and a really tough piece of metal.

Funny how that works...

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #56 of 77
dohminator: I don't know... maybe amend that so that the main tenet is that you should give as many people as possible the opportunity to listen to high-end sound. They'll convert themselves; you'd be surprised. (ages ago I brought some Grados to school along with a CHA47... the guy who really noticed the improved quality was none other than the crapophone-using, rap afondicio (sp?) drummer in the school band!)

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #57 of 77
it's amended.

All the corruption, none of those pesky rules.

"For the sake of helping unfortunate people to be able to listen to High quality sound. Please send me your headphones and/or your money. R10's and Orpheuses are prefered."
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #58 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
I've read all the divergent point of view expressed in this thread, and I'm amazed and gratified by the tolerance, mutual respect and gentleness with one another that you all demostrate. It really seems that we who enjoy headphones are really very special people. I wonder why we differ so from so many others of the human race who do such harm and whose bad deeds we see described in the daily news.

I think alot of it has to do with the fact that we take the time to talk with each other and know enough about each other that we don't want to fight. I know I am not going to convert anybody on this board to my religon, political party, or philosophy of economics as most of the folks here are interested in other discussions.

This board is our break from the work-a-day world. Yeah some of the things I hold dear get slammed, but hey, even the things opposite of what I hold dear get slammed and often by the same people. So its an equal oppertunity board.
biggrin.gif
I know for a fact that I dissaggree with a lot of folks at my church about stuff - even about religion, but I keep going back because I like the bulk of it. Same here (and, no, I don't consider this a religious experiance as some of you do
wink.gif
), I'll take a jab now and then from friends that take them back.

Oh, and I think we(Head-fi'ers) are better educated than a lot of the folks we see in the news. For that matter, I think we are better educated than most of the folks giving us the news - but thats another thread....

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #60 of 77
Audio Redneck - You are a thoughful and tolerant person, and discussing these kinds of topics with you is pleasant and constructive. While religion is important in your life, and absent from mine, people like us who have contradictory views can live together and associate in our wonderful USA. This sure contrasts with the religous hatreds and killings that are apparent elsewhere, for example, Nigeria, Northern Ireland, Bosnia, etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back