Who else pre-ordered the Project Ember from Garage 1217?
Mar 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #16 of 44
The Project Starlight is alive (born tonight..first turn on perfect) and demanding attention! I have posted a new thread about it. Bottom line is it is ASTOUNDING!

It will behoove everyone to wait on the EMBER as I did on the STARLIGHT.

Cheers!

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:
Quote:
I am almost done building the Project STARLIGHT kit, serial number 00001. What separates this new one from the rest is that the output FETs are replaced by opamps. There are four per channel, while not delivering the power of the Ember, it can deliver 400 milliwatts into 32 ohms. With Grados, that means a perforated ear drum.

But the main feature of the Starlight is that you can roll both tubes and opamps. Do the math and you see the possibilities. I have four sets to test and several tubes.

I hope to post a thread this weekend.

I have inside info regarding the delayed release as this happened to the Starlight also. The bottom line is QUALITY and RELIABILITY. Best to deliver a better unit later; it will be worth the wait as I discovered.

Cheers!

GREAT ! i'm very curious about the starlight, it should be the perfect amp for Grados and low impedance AKG (K601, K701/2, Q701, etc..), the ability to roll BOTH opamps and tubes is a killer feature !

I'm impatient to see the pictures and to read your first impressions. 

Just a quick note. The Starlight is doing well. It can drive 600 ohm phones well.

I will wager that the Ember will be spectacular. With that kind of power it can drive any phones I'm sure.

May 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #20 of 44
For those waiting for the Ember, good news! The "News-Blog" section of Garage1217 says that Ember has gone gold. Power output is not nearly as much as originally intended, but is still double that of Sunrise II. The amp is auto biased now, so no more tinkering around when you roll new tubes. Seems like a very decent package for the price.

Lets wait for those who had pre-ordered to receive delivery and post impressions :D.

May 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 44
It's still more powerful than the Soloist - the 4W Burson advertises is into 16 ohms, not the standard 32. I'm sure someone calculated it to be delivering just around 1W at the LCDs 50 ohm load (the post is buried somewhere in the Soloist thread). The LYR is still more powerful, but is still about the same/is bested by Sunrise II. I'm expecting Ember to have better SQ than that, what with opamp rolling and tubes, so it's still looking interesting.

May 10, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:
It's still more powerful than the Soloist - the 4W Burson advertises is into 16 ohms, not the standard 32. I'm sure someone calculated it to be delivering just around 1W at the LCDs 50 ohm load (the post is buried somewhere in the Soloist thread). The LYR is still more powerful, but is still about the same/is bested by Sunrise II. I'm expecting Ember to have better SQ than that, what with opamp rolling and tubes, so it's still looking interesting.

I think you're a little confused.  THe Soloist 4W into 16 ohms would make it twice as powerful as the Ember 1W into 32 ohms.  The Sunrise II is not comparable at all to the Lyr in output power.  Lyr being 6W into 32 ohms versus 920mW on the Sunrise II.

May 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:
I think you're a little confused.  THe Soloist 4W into 16 ohms would make it twice as powerful as the Ember 1W into 32 ohms.  The Sunrise II is not comparable at all to the Lyr in output power.  Lyr being 6W into 32 ohms versus 920mW on the Sunrise II.

I was talking about my particular setup in this case. For the LCDs 50 Ohm load, the Ember puts out about about 1.5W (I don't have the exact calculations here). Again, the Soloist produces a little more than 1W at 50 (I'm coming up with 1.28W....can someone check this?).

As for the Lyr vs SII, I was only talking about sound, not power. I can't think of any other amp in the price range that can produce that kind of power. The SII vs Lyr impressions are also buried somewhere in the recommendations thread.

May 22, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #26 of 44
Jeremy shipped mine on Sat., received it on Monday. All I can say is wow. Beautiful layout, second to none on fit and finish. The sound is remarkable. He hit a home run with this one. I've had limited time so far with headphone comparisons but I have listened briefly with my 600s and my dt880 600 ohm and it drives the crap out of both. Maybe by the weekend I can give a better illustration on my opinion.

May 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:
Jeremy shipped mine on Sat., received it on Monday. All I can say is wow. Beautiful layout, second to none on fit and finish. The sound is remarkable. He hit a home run with this one. I've had limited time so far with headphone comparisons but I have listened briefly with my 600s and my dt880 600 ohm and it drives the crap out of both. Maybe by the weekend I can give a better illustration on my opinion.

Sounds good. Perhaps some pictures to go along with your impressions as well :D ?

May 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Excited to hear what its like! torn between it and the sunrise 2 for the he-500

May 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #29 of 44
I've been following the Ember and Starlight. Looking to pick one up for my Mad Dogs. Can't wait to hear some more impressions of the Ember.

May 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #30 of 44
Also keen to hear some impressions on Project Ember, especially compared to the PSii. Only received my PSii last week, but think if I knew the Ember was coming I would have pre-ordered it. But listening to the Psii now, its kind of difficult figuring out why so much power is needed, except if it results in more dynamic headroom? Turning my volume over 11 o clock is risky business on my HE-500 (the impedance on my HE-500s are about 51 ohms). The auto-biasing future is already handy enough to consider upgrading though! But great that we can have such excellent amps at the price. So much more money left over for good tubes and headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back