Who else pre-ordered the Project Ember from Garage 1217?
May 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

I was talking about my particular setup in this case. For the LCDs 50 Ohm load, the Ember puts out about about 1.5W (I don't have the exact calculations here). Again, the Soloist produces a little more than 1W at 50 (I'm coming up with 1.28W....can someone check this?).

As for the Lyr vs SII, I was only talking about sound, not power. I can't think of any other amp in the price range that can produce that kind of power. The SII vs Lyr impressions are also buried somewhere in the recommendations thread.

lcd is 60 ohm

May 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #33 of 44
May 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:
Great, I couldn't get to you on the other site.

All the filters are listed there too. :wink:

thanks Ian
when you say they are listed, do you mean that litterally or do i have to pick the bones out of the threads?
cheers mate

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #36 of 44
If you go to the info site, the filters are listed there.

I now have the Ember. Serial no. 0000 Yes!!! It is a very good, solid performer.

I'm using it with a modded T40 and an active filter to raise the top end; all made/modded by Frans. It is a LOVELY match.

The Ember can have it's gain changed by the owner and also the output impedance (along with the tube), so you can kind of tweak it to your liking.

The T40 is not a particularly easy load to drive either. Modded, it's slightly less sensitive than standard but really flat in frequency response. I have the Ember set at low gain and low output impedance and it drives the headphone like a portable. Dead easy to drive. It's loud at 11:00.

Not only is it loud, but the T40 becomes a lively headphone. There is plenty of bass presence and weight and it's really fast in attack. I have found that the T40 can be a little thin on some amps and often have wondered whether it's just not being driven hard enough. This amp sounds good with it.

The Senn HD600 is also very lively at low output impedance and low gain. 9:00 is loud enough this time. There is no Senn 'clouding' and they also sound extremely lively. TBH, the amp drives it as though there's nothing there!! It just goes with ease. There's way more power than you'd need, so plenty there for transient attacks.

In comparison to the Horizon (which I also have), it sounds perhaps less 'tubey'. I like the Horizon a lot but this one has serious power and makes headphones jump to life.

It runs extremely cool and so doesn't need the fins that the Horizon has.

I've been listening all afternoon (since it arrived) and am very pleased with what I'm getting; especially on my T40.

Any questions, just ask Solderdude, the designer, here where there is one in the UK doing a tour:

http://diyah.boards.net/thread/143/project-ember?page=6&scrollTo=2235

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

In comparison to the Horizon (which I also have), it sounds perhaps less 'tubey'. I like the Horizon a lot but this one has serious power and makes headphones jump to life.

Perhaps you should try another tube with your Ember, try a 12AU7 with long black plates, you won't be disappointed :)

Jul 8, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #39 of 44
Perhaps you should try another tube with your Ember, try a 12AU7 with long black plates, you won't be disappointed :)

I have a nice collection of tubes, but to be honest, I really like the sound of the Ember as it is. It has a slightly different configuration to the Horizon, but my Horizon will be leaving now I've heard this. The nice thing is that when you change the tube, there is absolutely no setting up to be done. It's all done for you automatically.

In answer to power output. I use a modded T40 with it sometimes and it drives it like it's not there in all honesty. It has a lot of power.

In all honesty though - , are you going to hear much difference in real terms between 1.5v and 1.28? Not really. Put that much voltage through the headphone and you'll deafen yourself. There's plenty of headroom there though.

The Ember has plenty to drive an HE6. I'm using mine on low input power and it's still extremely loud.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #40 of 44
How does ember compare to sunrise ii and lyr? Money aside, which of them is the best? Pros and cons?

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #41 of 44
Jul 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #42 of 44
I've ordered me a built Project Ember this weekend, And very much looking forward to listen to some...or rather maybe all of my tubes very soon:)

Jul 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #43 of 44
It's a really pleasant listen.

Don't be worried about looking at the configuration aspects. There are the two input gain jumpers at the back right. (Standard - set to low input gain)

Also configuring the output impedance for your headphone. Do it by ear. I played music while I shifted the jumpers on the front left and right.

For the Senn HD650, I prefered 0.1 ohms but using a K550 today and the 100 ohms setting works really well. It's subtle but overall makes a real difference to log term listening. In actual fact, the K550 loses some of the treble sting that it can exhibit at 100 ohms out and it seems more natural to me.

Plus the fact that you can just change tubes at any time without any setting up.

Really well designed, configurable amp with tons of power.

Jul 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #44 of 44
I had actually ordered the Schiit Lyr, but read through the posts here and other places right after, and it convinced me to cancel the Lyr and get this instead. I've got tubes from previous projects, about 40 6DJ8 types, and around 50 12AU7-types. Got some of the best already, with Mullards, Siemens Halske CCa, Telefunken smooth and ribbed plates, Voshkods and RCA Clear Tops, so this should be a fun and possibly enlightening experience I hope. Also ordered me a few 12bh7a's also. Since I'm living here in Norway I saved about $300 when cancelling the Lyr??? I wonder if I should get me some Sennheiser HD600's as well for the money I got left. After reading about the HD650 and HD600 I think I would prefer the 600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back