Who does re-cabling for the Etymotic ER-4P?
Apr 21, 2011 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SirBenn21

100+ Head-Fier

I was wondering who does a good job at minimizing the "stethoscope" effect or the microphonics as most people say?

The only one I can find so far is Apuresound, but they want $180! Are they worth that?

Ben

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 7
... or you can get one of this and a Westone ES cable, should cost less than $100 total.

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the Apuresound cable and it does make the ETYs more refined sounding.  I agree the price is steep for what is a small improvement in sound.  You may also want to try the Shure Olives, I have found that they provide a great seal and help with the sound.  By far the biggest improvement for me has been using the Arrow amp with my ETYs, great synergy in my opinion.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 7
If you're worried about microphonics, try routing the cable over your ears. Given the shape of the ER4s, it's considerably more difficult than other iems, but if it works for you, it should cut down microphonics significantly. 

Apr 22, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 7
I doubt the cable can be pull out easily. If it does, I know a way to make sure it will stay in tight - just bend the pins slightly outward and it will make it very hard to remove (but not impossible). Can't really tell how good it will be since I haven't try it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back