Who bought these?
Oct 30, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #16 of 89

Quote:

Here's a pair of Grado SR300 with HP1000 drivers that was sold for $550 two weeks ago to ebay user chichichichia that was trying to sell a pair of SR200 with HP1000 for $1300 on ebay months back. LMAO

Someone is selling a pair for a lot more. Is that the same guy who bought them for $550?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-SR300-w-HP1000-BlackStar-Drivers-/140627288648?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3838055905734066931

Oct 30, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #17 of 89

Quote:
 I don't think anyone outside of USA could of bid for those because I've tried bidding and was forbidden to place a bid as my ebay account is Canadian.

I didn't know that was such restriction. I used to live in the states and was bidding for items from all over the world (I collected vinyl box sets and stuff). Now I am in Uk I can still bid for USA items.

Oct 30, 2011 at 6:08 AM Post #18 of 89
The seller for those SR300 had specified the auction for USA ebay only.  I've failed to place a bid because of such restriction.  Not sure if this current pair that's on ebay now is the same pair that was purchased two weeks ago.  The seller has a different username than the winner of the auction from two weeks ago. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #20 of 89
Oct 30, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #22 of 89
Oct 30, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #23 of 89
Oct 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #24 of 89

Quote:
Lol....speaking from ur own experience?
biggrin.gif

I am afraid so.
mad.gif

I have two pair of NOS HP-2 that were modded by Joe. I have not gone anywhere near them. My go to headphones are a pair HP1i (modded by Joe) and sometimes another pair of stock HP2.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 89
Well, I can tell you with 100% certainty that they will be used every day.  I should know, I bought them.  Was $2550 too much to pay?  Certainly, yes; but that's not the point.

When I was 16 years old, I bought a pair of HP-1s with the reference cable from Vka.  I met him in a subway station, handed him some $700 cash, and he gave me a cardboard box filled with some fantastic headphones.  This was in 2000.

Fast forward to 2008: I'm in college and money is tight.  I needed a car, so I sold the HP-1s.  I even made a tidy profit.  Before you ask, yes, there was a girl involved, and yes, it is the only decision I have ever regretted.  As a rule, I don't have regrets. This is the exception to that rule. 

So, here we are now in twenty eleven.  A week ago, missing the HP-1s, I decided to buy a pair of Alessandro MSPros in the hopes that they would fill the emptiness in my soul.  The MSPros are wonderful fantastic 'phones.  They can do many things, but this, they cannot do.

So this week, I had a chance to buy HP-2s for around $2k, but I offered ~$100 too little and they were gone in a flash.  This time, I was going to have them. My top bid was $2559.83.  If the other guy were willing to pay $10 more, they would be his.  Until the last 3 seconds, I thought they would be mine for 'only' $2150.  In time, that other person will find his phones, and he will probably pay less than I did. 

As I understand it, my chief competitor is in the UAE.  Presumably, that person is in a much better position financially to afford these phones than some grad student slave like me; but, I wanted these HP-2s, and I am willing to work as hard and as much as necessary to have them.  At first I was weary about placing such a high bid, but there was a girl involved this time too.  She said go for it.  I am forging the ring myself (A Platinum/Iridium/Ruthenium Alloy of 10%, 88%, and 2% respectively.)

In conclusion, I am very excited to soon have the HP-1000 sound available when I want.  I ask kindly that you refrain from criticizing the high price I paid, and instead be happy that I finally have what I am looking for.  I preferred these even when compared with a Magico M6/Halcro setup and a Rockport Arrakis/Boulder setup.  For me, there is no better sound, I can't even imagine such a thing.  If it turns out they aren't as good as I remember, I can always sell them, and if I have to take a loss so be it; but I would not have paid that price if I weren't already so familiar with them.

The most likely ending is that I'll love them as always, and I'm never getting rid of them until I die.  If the lettering wears off, that's OK.  If it really bothers me, I'll get into the silk screening business.  But I will never make the mistake of losing them ever again.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #26 of 89

Quote:
Fast forward to 2008: I'm in college and money is tight.  I needed a car, so I sold the HP-1s.  I even made a tidy profit.  Before you ask, yes, there was a girl involved, and yes, it is the only decision I have ever regretted. 

I actually laughed.  You've got a nice story going.
---

Congrats on the win.  May you enjoy the hell out of them.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #28 of 89
woh...that's a nice story bro.  Glad you've finally found your pair and in such minty condition. 
beerchug.gif
  I've sold my HP2s in the past and it was a big regret for me as well.  Just had to buy them as soon as my source and amp were up to the task of driving them gracefully.  Not likely will I sell my HP2s again.  Just like the RS-1s, they have this very unique sound quality and there's nothing that sounds like them atm.  Do update us once you have receive your NOS pair.  Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #29 of 89
wow, interesting story indeed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back