White vs. Black Box ATH-M50s
Dec 28, 2010 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DoubleB123

New Head-Fier
I currently have Creative Aurvana Lives, and I'm thinking of upgrading to some AHT-M50s. Recently I heard some people on this forum say their M50s sound different because they were in a white or black box. Is there any truth to this?

Also, is there any difference in sound quality between the coiled cable version and the straight cable version?

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 16
I owned both the Creative Aurvana Live and the white box M50s. That is NOT an upgrade, but more of a subtle sidegrade. They have their differences, but actually sound pretty comparable to one another, IMHO. The CAL is slightly warmer, and slightly more laid back, that's about it. The bass is pretty similar, as are the 'recessed' mids. Both have a slightly sharp treble, though the CAL is less fatiguing. The CAL had an edge on soundstage depth and width however.

I'd save up for a true upgrade.

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 16
Yes. They are essentially the same headphone, give or take a few materials. I have not heard the D1001k, but the ONE person who I read owned both, preferred the CAL by a slight margin. YMMV of course. I'd save up for the D2000 if I were you. An upgrade in every sense of the word, and are still easy to drive.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 16
Oh, I thought you already owned the CAL. For music, I prefer the more aggressive M50, but for games and movies, I prefer the more spacious sound of the CAL. The CAL can be had for almost half the price.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #7 of 16
I appreciate your insights, but infact I am not the OP. The OP does own the CAL!

I'am simply in some serious purchasing gridlock, attemtping to find what is best to me between those 3 models... without being able to listen to the CAL or 1001k's.

Been trying to get some good answers for a couple days now, finally got some in this thread and another!

/end hijack

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 16
Lol, you did hijack. I totally didn't notice you weren't OP. Lack of sleep.
ph34r.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
I owned both the Creative Aurvana Live and the white box M50s. That is NOT an upgrade, but more of a subtle sidegrade. They have their differences, but actually sound pretty comparable to one another, IMHO. The CAL is slightly warmer, and slightly more laid back, that's about it. The bass is pretty similar, as are the 'recessed' mids. Both have a slightly sharp treble, though the CAL is less fatiguing. The CAL had an edge on soundstage depth and width however.

I'd save up for a true upgrade.

Ok, thanks for the help, you just saved me some money. The main reason that the idea of getting M50's came across my mind is that I was going to spend some money on buying Dynamat to do these mods:http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/350167/markl-type-mods-on-denon-ah-d1001-d1000. I figured if I was going to spend some money I might as well sell my CAL!'s and get some M50's.

I think I'll just do these mods and then save up for a true upgrade like you said.

Dec 28, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 16
I haven't heard the D1001 or CAL, but I prefer my M50 to the D2000, and D5000 by quite a bit.  Based on that, I have no interest in Denons, but I haven't heard the ones you have. 

I believe I used to have the black box M50 though I can't be sure because I didn't really pay attention to the box, but I now own a white box and they sound exactly the same to me. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I haven't heard the D1001 or CAL, but I prefer my M50 to the D2000, and D5000 by quite a bit.  Based on that, I have no interest in Denons, but I haven't heard the ones you have. 

I believe I used to have the black box M50 though I can't be sure because I didn't really pay attention to the box, but I now own a white box and they sound exactly the same to me. 

I loved my M50 as well.  The D7000 is a truly excellent phone though.  Totally worth it at the right price.  The M50 still has its own subtle unique character in comparison though.  If one didn't notice the subtlety that makes the M50 unique then one couldn't appreciate the difference. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Quote:

I loved my M50 as well.  The D7000 is a truly excellent phone though.  Totally worth it at the right price.  The M50 still has its own subtle unique character in comparison though.  Mostly in rendering reverb and decay for one.  If one didn't notice the subtlety that makes the M50 unique then one couldn't appreciate the difference. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 16
The D7000 may sound good if you like that coloration, I totally see how they are popular, but I found it sounded like the FR was messed with way way too much, just aggressive everywhere.  The M50 is one of the most neutral headphones ever made.  It isn't totally neutral.  I think it has a slight boost in the lower bass that makes kick drums stand out a bit, and there's a slight treble emphasis.  These two thinks make the mids sound a bit recessed.  But the treble is one of the smoothest out there in terms of harshness because it's not the upper mids that are boosted like grados, it's just the treble in the cymbal region so it just heightens detail.  They have one of the most even balances of any headphone I've heard, which I think is remarkable for a closed headphone.  They sound better than MUCH more expensive headphones.  I like them better than any of the audiophile ATH's, the Denons, all the Ultrasones ( haven't heard ED10), any Sony I've heard, all the Beyers (haven't heard T1) and most of the current grados.  

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Wow, huge call there RD. I sold my M50 to help fund my HD650. I won't compare the two as it'd be an apples to oranges comparison. I love the HD650 but I wish I'd held on to the M50 as well. It's clear to me that it punches above weight and I miss not having it.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #15 of 16
Curious to know if you are using an amp, and which one.  I find the Denon D5000s to be amongst the best resolving cans I have ever heard, with a frequency response and dynamic range that is clear and precise.  Although, to acheive this level of quality, they do need to have clean, powerful amplification.  My Total Airhead was nowhere near good enough for these headphones.  I ask because I am completely flabbergasted by your findings, as I have had an opportunity to make numerous a/b comparisons between my D5000s and M50s.  Unamped, or insufficiently amped, I can agree with your assessment to some degree; however, after a couple hundred hours of burn-in and using a decent amp, there is no way that I could ever agree with you.  But, hey, I'm not mad or anything.  As I said, just curious.
beerchug.gif

I did settle on the M50's because I was searching for a similar sound signature that the Denon's offered.  I find that they are similar, although, as you pointed out, the M50 increases a bit more on the low end, and it does not appear to be as prone to sounding as shrill with regards to the higher frequencies, where the D5000 can sometimes give me problems with certain music. 

Another thing is that I almost always listen at very low levels, which can also present much different characteristics.  In this, the M50s shine in some respects when compared to the D5000s, especially in a noisier environment, due to the superior isolation that they provide.  I've always been inclined to feel that a 3dB loss in ambient sound is better than a 6dB volume increase of the source for bringing out the details in the music.  But, clearly, that opionion is just as subjective as everything else I stated. 

L3000.gif

Quote:
The D7000 may sound good if you like that coloration, I totally see how they are popular, but I found it sounded like the FR was messed with way way too much, just aggressive everywhere.  The M50 is one of the most neutral headphones ever made.  It isn't totally neutral.  I think it has a slight boost in the lower bass that makes kick drums stand out a bit, and there's a slight treble emphasis.  These two thinks make the mids sound a bit recessed.  But the treble is one of the smoothest out there in terms of harshness because it's not the upper mids that are boosted like grados, it's just the treble in the cymbal region so it just heightens detail.  They have one of the most even balances of any headphone I've heard, which I think is remarkable for a closed headphone.  They sound better than MUCH more expensive headphones.  I like them better than any of the audiophile ATH's, the Denons, all the Ultrasones ( haven't heard ED10), any Sony I've heard, all the Beyers (haven't heard T1) and most of the current grados.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back