white noise & slight crackling - TF10 or Recording Flaw?
Sep 7, 2010 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

USCdeacon

Head-Fier
First off, just want to tell all of you here at Head-Fi, much love!  You guys are the BEST online community (with the occasional token troll :p) I've ever been helped by, so regardless of what feedback comes below, my sincerest thanks 
dt880smile.png

ok, now to business.

I'm currently updating my favorite albums to Apple Lossless (let's not the discuss the pros/cons of ripping to a closed format here.  I run Mac OS X, my portable device is an iPod touch so for quality/space, felt it was best).

Although most of my old albums were previously ripped at 256kbps VBR LAME MP3, my copy of Feist's 2007 album, "the Reminder" was set at an awful 128kbps CBR mp3.

I converted from FLAC to Apple Lossless (via Max 0.9.1.) and I'm hearing all sorts of little details in the song... some amazing, some troubling O_O

Take for example the song "How my heart behaves". 
Link: http://cl.ly/662c3871c32ef8805f1a

at 0:12 you start to hear a noticeable white noise... of what I assume is the beginning of the vocal track.  A little bit of white noise I can live with, but there's a strange crackling/maraca like sound starting at 0:51 during the duet.  Due to the specificity of the strange problem, I'm dismissing this as a recording flaw, but I wanted to be sure.

Are my TF10's not able to accurately reproduce the two vocal tracks at once?  Is the recording flawed here?

Here is Hans Zimmer's latest masterpieces that I ripped the exact same way (FLAC to Apple Lossless) and it sounds absolutely stunning (from lows to highs, ah-mazing!).

Link: http://cl.ly/ebd0d9ff3dc40747d31b

Clean, through and through.

All songs were played via iTunes 10 on Macbook Pro --> NuForce uDAC --> UE TF10 

Is white noise often a flaw found in poorer recordings?

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 5
Sounds in rhythm to me, probably a part of the recording. I can hear those notes on my TF10's. Also, it's exactly the same every time the duet comes into focus.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 5
I started hearing all kinds of anomolies in recordings once I got my Tri Fi's.  I went back confirmed my original flac files against accurate rip, everything was fine.  It's amazing how many little flaws make it onto CDs.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 5
glad to know it's not just me.  Seriously... kind of unsettling if you think about it.  You get high-end gear to extract the most out of your music...and realize what you thought was going to be crystal clear goodness is kinda' ruined by annoying flaws.  Oh well :]  I guess there's only so much we can do on our end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back