Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jun 5, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,021 of 1,413
True, I’m always amazed how much demand there is for ultra expensive scotch, congac .

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #1,022 of 1,413
True, I’m always amazed how much demand there is for ultra expensive scotch, congac .

Some of it is status or what I call "gift status" for business relationships. Sometimes is a gift of Johnnie Blue for passing the Bar. But like any hobby, from the outside, most of nuance will seem like hyperbole looking in. It wouldn't be unlike a friend buying a Bose because they've heard they are good and then giving them as gifts to friends and family because they are both impressed and satisfied. The enthusiast will have more information and see it's not really what fits our criteria, but it will fit the vast majority.

Then you have what I call the Pappy Phenomenon. People love to jump on trends and join the cult movement because an enthusiast who's informed suggested it offhand. That suggestion then becomes the hyperbole because it's easier for the novice to repeat, "I've heard incredible things..." The weight of the name become more important than the actual object.

Nearly every hobby has some dynamics like this. They fascinate and annoy the hell out of me. I personally love teaching people to think for themselves and develop their own opinons by becoming informed rather than becoming sheep. I love hearing people's stories that got them into their hobbies. Most of all, I truly enjoy hearing how two very unique hobbies intersect and the metaphors that connect the two together.

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #1,023 of 1,413
This isn't what I was expecting. I am quite fond of The Glenlivet 18, it's really good for its price point. Good flavor, and a step above regular, mid-shelf sippers.
I always wanted to try the XXV, and now that I have, well... it wasn't all that great.

That's too bad about the XXV, but saves me cash.
I find that most distilleries hit their flavor/price sweet spot around 18-21 years, and as I type this, I am comparing Glenlivet 18 vs. 21, and honestly, I don't think one is "better," just different flavor profiles. 21 does have more oak and structure vs. more exuberant fruit of 18.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #1,024 of 1,413
I have tried a few expensive whiskies. Some were great, some not so great. I won't waste my money on them. Collectors pretty much ruined the market for whisky drinkers.

6 or 7 years ago, I tried a whisky that blew my socks off. A 6yo Linkwood. Probably in the top 5 I have ever tasted. I'll also stick with cask strength whiskies. I find the standard 40% ish releases to be, well, a bit weak.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,025 of 1,413
The last delivery I had included this one. Revenge of the Shuttlecocks. It's an Auchroisk (Singleton) 11yo from a bourbon cask. Certainly needed some water.
20200530_192147.jpg

Jun 7, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,026 of 1,413
mcallen rare cask last night
the-macallan-rare-cask-whisky.jpg

Jun 8, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,028 of 1,413
I have tried a few expensive whiskies. Some were great, some not so great. I won't waste my money on them. Collectors pretty much ruined the market for whisky drinkers.

6 or 7 years ago, I tried a whisky that blew my socks off. A 6yo Linkwood. Probably in the top 5 I have ever tasted. I'll also stick with cask strength whiskies. I find the standard 40% ish releases to be, well, a bit weak.

Love linkwood.
Love this one. I cooked a heck of a lot of steak, an babybacks, and potatoes, and simmered onions... this was a great topper late that evening, sitting and hanging out with my friends.

HEMDUud.jpg
I love an Old Fashioned with EC. It's super dry, so works great with maple or demerara.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #1,029 of 1,413
9D069D63-22A0-4DF1-AEDE-DA40919F796F.jpeg

yummy stuff

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,031 of 1,413
9D069D63-22A0-4DF1-AEDE-DA40919F796F.jpeg

yummy stuff

I had a glass of this when it first came out at a whiskey bar. I think I (*cough* my company *cough*) paid 25 bucks for it. Sadly, I don't remember if I thought it was amazing or not. How much does a bottle of this go for now?

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,034 of 1,413
To me, it is overrated.
Hate to be that guy, but it is the Beats of the Whisk(e)y world. JWB is not in it's own rights bad, it just bad for what it is and represents.

I won't trash talk Diageo, especially becuase I love the hell out of Johnnie Black, but if you want the JWB secrect ingredient, try to find an old bottle of Royale Lochnagar.

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #1,035 of 1,413
I agree. I have a bottle of Blue and while it is a nice blend but really not anything special in my opinion. Many whiskys are better. I prefer an Aberlour 16 (and can buy three bottles for the price of a Blue.) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back