Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jul 20, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #1,051 of 1,413
A whiskey buff friend and I organized a 10 part blind tasting and what we both chose as our favorite was Old Grand-dad Bonded, about $20 a bottle. Produced by Jim Beam.

I think buffalo trace is one of the best values in whiskey. It's high end brother Blantons is my favorite bourbon but it's a little expensive at $55ish.

Wild Turkey 101 is another great inexpensive option.

If we're talking cheap, I find ancient age and old crow solid, delicious whiskeys despite their price point.
One time in New Orleans I ordered a truly delicious frozen blackberry julep. I asked the bartender what kind of whiskey he used and he said, "Early Times out of a plastic bottle." That's now all I use for cocktails. $14.99 for 1.75 liters. :)

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #1,053 of 1,413
One time in New Orleans I ordered a truly delicious frozen blackberry julep. I asked the bartender what kind of whiskey he used and he said, "Early Times out of a plastic bottle." That's now all I use for cocktails. $14.99 for 1.75 liters. :)

Pro tip.. Early Times is just young Buffalo Trace in massive batches. Honestly it's not bad for well whiskey. I was happy to drink it as the $3 beer-shot special after a long shift tending bar.

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #1,054 of 1,413
My buddy brought this over to my place:
fXqYTMx.jpg

Ti8mQTi.jpg

It was pretty good. It can be a little overwhelming with the caramel, and it has a yeasty cloy, permeating through the other scents and flavors. I also got a good whiff of cloves, or cumin? There was some kind of musky spice that I initially took to be cinnamon, but after 20-30 seconds it blossomed into hints of clove.
This was nice to have after a barbecue with top sirloin steaks and grilled onions, bell pepper, garlic and herbs. I had some awesome conversation, and we slowly sipped this over a couple of hours.
If you like sweet whiskey, this will fit the bill. We tried it straight, then we used ice and drank it chilled. If it seems a litttle TOO sweet, the ice melting into the drink might take some of the edge off. I was in the right mindset for a slow-sipping bourbon during a muggy night, catching up with a close friend.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #1,055 of 1,413
Got me a couple of bottles this Christmas to add to my small, but growing, collection. Monkey Shoulder and Michter's US-1 Small Batch Bourbon, to be exact. I already have Yellow Spot and Whistlepig 10 Year, and recently finished off a bottle of Green Spot.

I came here specifically to second this post. I'm a huge fan of Michter's US-1 Small Batch Bourbon and Whistlepig. Sounds like I need to try Green Spot! As basic as it sounds, a Maker's Manhattan can really hit the spot. That, or an old fashioned with Woodford Reserve!

Oct 26, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,058 of 1,413
Nuff said.

1458CA3F-D16D-443E-95F0-5CDB403442AA.jpeg

Nov 6, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,061 of 1,413
Ok not only an audio addict.
A2262474-469B-41B9-A242-1ED92411963D.jpeg

Nov 17, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,063 of 1,413
Can't say I was too fond of this. It is a little more alcholically (yes it's a word now) intense than I prefer. It's smooth, being so packed with proofness (yes it's a word now).
Glad I tried it, but don't know how I am gonna get rid of the rest haha

JkF4DS7.jpg

This was pretty good. It smells like turpentine, but tastes quite nice.

4zLB8lv.jpg

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #1,065 of 1,413
I was born and live in the middle of Whisky Country aka Scotland, and I do not understand why people can drink this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging whisky drinkers, I just cannot get my head around it, as it's a disgusting drink.

The only time I ever drink whisky is when I make a hot toddy, if you have the flu, that schiit will sweat it out of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back