Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #1,066 of 1,413
I was born and live in the middle of Whisky Country aka Scotland, and I do not understand why people can drink this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging whisky drinkers, I just cannot get my head around it, as it's a disgusting drink.

The only time I ever drink whisky is when I make a hot toddy, if you have the flu, that schiit will sweat it out of you.
I think you are being a bit harsh, but I know that my taste in beer and whisky does vary, especially with the seasons.
During Summertime I tend to prefer IPA beers, and smoother whiskies, but now the weather has turned colder, I have been seeking smoky whiskies, but am now feeling the need for a lighter whisky again.
Variety is the spice of life. :wink:

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #1,068 of 1,413
I think you are being a bit harsh, but I know that my taste in beer and whisky does vary, especially with the seasons.
During Summertime I tend to prefer IPA beers, and smoother whiskies, but now the weather has turned colder, I have been seeking smoky whiskies, but am now feeling the need for a lighter whisky again.
Variety is the spice of life. :wink:

The part that I don't understand is, when people have their first ever glass of it, why don't they spit it out as thats what I did. I guess it's an acquired taste, it's probably just my taste buds that are the problem here, as I don't like liquorice and cinnamon either.

Happy drinking peeps

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #1,069 of 1,413
People like different kinds of drinks, especially when it comes to alcoholic drinks. If there was, for example, a thread about gin, I would most likely have nothing to do with that thread because I don't like it. If it doesn't interest me, I don't go out of my way to announce to fans in a thread SPECIFICALLY discussing that topic more than for a single comment... and that would be more of an inquiry as to why they like it, and to try and understand what appeals to them. Perhaps even ask for a recommendation to start with, to move up from there and maybe learn to acquire a taste for gin.
I wouldn't just keep posting about how I hate it, kinda seems counterproductive.

For whisky, I'd recommend the softer stuff that might appeal to what you are naturally inclined to enjoy. Like spices? Looks for a whiskey that emphasizes those aspects, while also eating a piece of chocolate with hints of pepper in it. Drink slowly, sip it very slowly, let the flavors linger in small doses. Or, if you like fruits such as orange/tangerine, or cherry... seek out a whiskey that leans in that direction. Meanwhile, eat a thin slice of orange just before taking a small sip; try to recognize that element in the ingredients. SLOWLY.
After a while, you might learn that there IS a whiskey that compliments your preferences in flavor profile. Eventually, one may end up understanding the appeal to it - or not.
If I was introducing whiskey to someone, I would emphasize the need to take your time with it, listen to what the palette is expressing, and sip it in very, very fine slices of flavor. Ease into it.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #1,070 of 1,413
My wife hates scotch and for that I am blessed. More for myself. No I won’t attempt to dissuade her

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,071 of 1,413
The part that I don't understand is, when people have their first ever glass of it, why don't they spit it out as thats what I did. I guess it's an acquired taste, it's probably just my taste buds that are the problem here, as I don't like liquorice and cinnamon either.

Happy drinking peeps
If the first one you ever tried was Ardbeg 10, then I understand. :)

Nov 20, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,072 of 1,413
People like different kinds of drinks, especially when it comes to alcoholic drinks. If there was, for example, a thread about gin, I would most likely have nothing to do with that thread because I don't like it. If it doesn't interest me, I don't go out of my way to announce to fans in a thread SPECIFICALLY discussing that topic more than for a single comment... and that would be more of an inquiry as to why they like it, and to try and understand what appeals to them. Perhaps even ask for a recommendation to start with, to move up from there and maybe learn to acquire a taste for gin.
I wouldn't just keep posting about how I hate it, kinda seems counterproductive.

For whisky, I'd recommendn the softer stuff that might appeal to what you are naturally inclined to enjoy. Like spices? Looks for a whiskey that emphasizes those aspects, while also eating a piece of chocolate with hints of pepper in it. Drink slowly, sip it very slowly, let the flavors linger in small doses. Or, if you like fruits such as orange/tangerine, or cherry... seek out a whiskey that leans in that direction. Meanwhile, eat a thin slice of orange just before taking a small sip; try to recognize that element in the ingredients. SLOWLY.
After a while, you might learn that there IS a whiskey that compliments your preferences in flavor profile. Eventually, one may end up understanding the appeal to it - or not.
If I was introducing whiskey to someone, I would emphasize the need to take your time with it, listen to what the palette is expressing, and sip it in very, very fine slices of flavor. Ease into it.

I'm not trying to dissuade folk from drinking it, If you think that I am, then you are on a completely different track than the one I'm on. I have tried a fair few different types over the years, usually because it was somebody elses round, or on the house, and, not once did I think it tasted like some type of fruit, however, I will admit, the one's I've tried in the past have all tasted like dirt, having an earthy taste.

I don't drink it except for medicinal purposes, a hot toddy etc, and I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from drinking it. I'm not into all the pomp and procession that is taste testing. Letting whisky swirl over your tongue and taste buds, then spitting it out or swallowing it etc.

Personally, I would rather drink a strawberry milkshake instead.

Power to all the whisky drinkers in this thread, except for @Whazzzup for his attempt to deliberately crash my ipad browser last night by posting a fullscreen picture in some thread :D

Oh yes you did :wink: :smiley::hockey::headphones:🥃🥃🥃🥃🍷

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,073 of 1,413
Gauntlet accepted

008C39FE-0D6E-4516-9360-29AB4E14BC40.jpeg

Nov 22, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,078 of 1,413
Gauntlet accepted

008C39FE-0D6E-4516-9360-29AB4E14BC40.jpeg

Your fullscreen photo above loses to my new iPad Pro. I've been putting buying a new one off for roughly a year, but it is clear that apple deliberately slow them down, which forces ipad or iphone users to upgrade.

I Thank you @Whazzzup for being the last piece of straw that finally made me say "enough is enough, I have to upgrade to a new iPad".

Since you like your wee dram's of whisky, if you want a bottle of whisky from scotland, you can choose the brand and I will buy and ship it to you, just pm me if interested.

Nov 22, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #1,079 of 1,413
Your fullscreen photo above loses to my new iPad Pro. I've been putting buying a new one off for roughly a year, but it is clear that apple deliberately slow them down, which forces ipad or iphone users to upgrade.

I Thank you @Whazzzup for being the last piece of straw that finally made me say "enough is enough, I have to upgrade to a new iPad".

Since you like your wee dram's of whisky, if you want a bottle of whisky from scotland, you can choose the brand and I will buy and ship it to you, just pm me if interested.
Just curious if it is possible to add an external screen to an iPad.
Certainly with my work laptop, I can add a 4K monitor, so that I can use two screens at the same time.
May be cheaper than buying a new iPad.
You should still buy a bottle for @Whazzzup :relaxed:

Nov 22, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #1,080 of 1,413
Just curious if it is possible to add an external screen to an iPad.
Certainly with my work laptop, I can add a 4K monitor, so that I can use two screens at the same time.
May be cheaper than buying a new iPad.
You should still buy a bottle for @Whazzzup :relaxed:

yes, you can add a screen to it, it has to be connected via the ipads usb c port, as far as I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back