Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jul 11, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #541 of 1,413
After one underwhelming 'own label' supermarket Speyside (Asda), I now have a bottle of Waitrose's equivalent.

Oh, it's so much better! Okay, Waitrose 'own label' single malts are around £30 instead of £20, which puts them up against named distilleries, but still...

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #542 of 1,413
I like some scottish drinks, ambient temperatures, some drops of water, or none, sometimes with a good coffee, alternatively coffe and speyside, sometimes only whisky, but more some shores or more smokey taste.
I have some good glasses, with aroma dispender, and round shape, and a small silver flask for nomad use lol.
I like the story about the old no 7, telling a guy and his girlfriend went to USA to get free, and he did what he knews, making whiskey, and get the first to sell cask matured drink sold in glass bottles, instead of waterclear brand new whiskey in jugs.
I like to keep my drinks in crystal bottles.
Will take a shot of my listening rig, bottles, and glasses.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #543 of 1,413
Currently on the Sainsbury's own label Highland single malt, which must be one of the best whisky bargains around. Unfortunately, others share this view, which means that it is often out of stock at my local branch.

Jul 23, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #544 of 1,413
Just found out this thread.
Whisky lover here as well. Goes very well with some late night listening with headphones. :)
List is too long write down but I've had Highland Park, Laphroaig 10, Oban, Macallan, Benriach (rum finish), Glenmorangie, Aberlour, Talisker, Bruichladdich etc.
Some blends and bourbons (Woodford Reserve, but I have no problem with Jim Beam as well) as well.
Right now I have a Glenfarclas 105 open (60% Cask Strength, heavily sherried), needs some waterdrops to get the percentage a bit lower (imo).

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #546 of 1,413
  The Pogues have launched their own whiskey.

Best buy as much as possible now before MacGowan drinks it all...

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #547 of 1,413
  The Pogues have launched their own whiskey.

I will be interested in impressions on the Pogue whiskey.  They are located in Maysville, KY, a place to which I frequently travel on business.

Thanks -
RCB

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #548 of 1,413
Birthday present from the wife...

I already knew that the Woodford Double Oaked was good. Blade and Bow is okay--not quite as smooth as I like it. I've only tried the Barterhouse once so far, but initial impressions are good.

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #549 of 1,413
Now for something totally different:
Ron Zacapa 23-yr Rum from Guatemala!!

Cheers -
RCB

beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #550 of 1,413
Birthday present from the wife...

I already knew that the Woodford Double Oaked was good. Blade and Bow is okay--not quite as smooth as I like it. I've only tried the Barterhouse once so far, but initial impressions are good.

Barterhouse is my favorite of the Orphan Barrel line-up.  I am going to be hosting a tasting with the full range (with the exception of Old Blowhart, since it's impossible to get that bottle now).  I'll try to post picture at some point.  

I've heard good things about Blade and Bow... any specifics?

Aug 11, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #551 of 1,413
Had a "few" more glasses of all three...

Barterhouse is definitely more memorable, and even has a sweetness that I really, really like.

To be honest, I had to look up someone else's review to remind me of the Blade and Bow, and I think I agree with the phrase "lacking character." It's fine to drink, but I don't get anything special out of it. Also, it's priced ~$50. There are many other bourbons I would choose at that price.

EDIT: So I know that I like Barterhouse, Four Roses, and Woodford...I've been wanting to expand into Scotch, but I haven't really hit anything that I've loved. Dewar's White Label got the closest. Glenlivet was so-so, and I was not a fan of Jonnie Walker Black. Any suggestions, or am I just a bourbon person?

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #552 of 1,413

Barterhouse is definitely more memorable, and even has a sweetness that I really, really like.

To be honest, I had to look up someone else's review to remind me of the Blade and Bow, and I think I agree with the phrase "lacking character." It's fine to drink, but I don't get anything special out of it. Also, it's priced ~$50. There are many other bourbons I would choose at that price.

EDIT: So I know that I like Barterhouse, Four Roses, and Woodford...I've been wanting to expand into Scotch, but I haven't really hit anything that I've loved. Dewar's White Label got the closest. Glenlivet was so-so, and I was not a fan of Jonnie Walker Black. Any suggestions, or am I just a bourbon person?

There are so many different flavours of Scotch, it depends on what you like.
Most Islay whiskies are smokey/peaty, others are matured in sherry casks to give a sweeter/nuttier flavour.
You can't go wrong imo with Macallan (most of them are matured in sherry casks) or Glenmorangie, but for a smokey whisky there's Laphroaig, Talisker or Lagavulin.
Glenlivet is imo not that interesting flavourwise (though there are different bottles) and people seem to recommend it for beginning whisky drinker because it doesn't cross borders flavourwise, an easy whisky.
Though I do like bourbon as well, even the standard Jim Beam but prefer Woodford, I find most scotch have more 'layers/flavoured'.
(the bourbon I have now is Buffalo Trace)

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #553 of 1,413

Most Islay whiskies are smokey/peaty, others are matured in sherry casks to give a sweeter/nuttier flavour.
You can't go wrong imo with Macallan (most of them are matured in sherry casks) or Glenmorangie, but for a smokey whisky there's Laphroaig, Talisker or Lagavulin.
Glenlivet is imo not that interesting flavourwise (though there are different bottles) and people seem to recommend it for beginning whisky drinker because it doesn't cross borders flavourwise, an easy whisky.
Though I do like bourbon as well, even the standard Jim Beam but prefer Woodford, I find most scotch have more 'layers/flavoured'.

Bourbon, over here in England, is not widely available apart from the most obvious brands starting with 'J'.

However, I did get a bottle of Buffalo Trace from Waitrose. Although the first couple of glasses were a little odd to the tastebuds of this Scotch drinker, I soon started enjoying it a lot.

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #554 of 1,413
I've started getting into scotch lately. The two that I've had most so far are Macallan 12 and Laphroaig 18. I'm still inexperienced but I find the Macallan 12 to be very easy to drink. The Laphroaig is nice too but it took me a little bit to warm up to it, probably because of the smokiness. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #555 of 1,413

Well that's why I was asking! :D

And this is basically what I was looking for. I have lots of Scotch available for purchase, but not a lot of direction to what I would like/dislike. Macallan sounds like a good starting point for me as I know I like sweeter bourbons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back