1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi

First

Back
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
Next

Last
  1. mrscotchguy
    IMG_20150815_173645.jpg

My weekend. Sitting outside my bar watching the music festival just off the curb, enjoying a flight and a cigar. Goes to show you, music makes booze better, and booze makes music better.

2. Oklahoma
    It is a whiskey, and no unfortunately I have no relation to the makers.  I have had actual moonshine made with mead they called it honeyshine and wow; it took 5 gallons of mead to make 1 gallon of it.  It was like mead on steroids and while very sweet it could knock you flat.

3. labrat
    [​IMG]

4. PalJoey
    Caol Ila - one of my all-time favourites. Very definitely ticks all the Islay boxes, but not as aggressively so as Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

5. OddE

-Amen. I first found a bottle made before they were last mothballed - a 1987 vintage, I think - in 2000 or so in Moscow, of all places - and I was hooked. Very much thrilled when the resumed production a few years ago.

I mostly stay with Islays - Laphroaig most of the time, but I try to keep a selection of all seven (oops, eight, come to think of it) Islay distilleries' offerings on hand - not that other whiskies aren't excellent, mind - it is just that I've always had a soft spot for Islays - mostly from the southern part of the island, so I am somewhat amused that I appreciate Caol Ila as much as I do - because Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and also Bowmore are rather more -ahem- in-your-face than Caol Ila has ever been...

6. MarcelE
    Bruichladdich (Laddie Ten) and Port Charlotte are very nice too, enjoyed them very much.
    The taste is imo a bit different then the average malt (in fact they all have their own signature) but I like it.
    So many nice whiskies and trying them out is part of the journey.
    Below is a sherry bomb and has 60% abv. For me it needs some drops of water, in fact 2 or 3 teaspoons.
    After a while it's like a stronger Macallan.

2 'ingredients' of enjoying music:

whiskycans.jpg

7. superjawes
    Took a trip to Versailles, Kentucky on my vacation and took a tour of the Woodford Distillery. I definitely recommend it. Gorgeous area, and you get a proper whiskey tasting session of the Distiller's Select and Double Oaked at the end (if you're over 21). They also have some nice goodies in the store, if you're into that.

I think my next major vacation will be an extended stay in Kentucky to visit Maker's, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, and maybe more...

8. RCBinTN

Very nice.  You could travel the Kentucky bourbon trail from Elizabethtown to Lexington.  Hit all the distilleries along the way.

9. PalJoey
    Bowmore Bourbon Cask, currently discounted to £25 at my local Sainsbury. Of course I bought a bottle!

10. RCBinTN
    Colonel E.H. Taylor Single Barrel bourbon, Frankfort, Kentucky
    Mmmmm

11. reddog
    That sounds good. I admit I have never tried single barrel or single malt bourbon. I need to try some. I have had so superb moonshine, very smooth, was shocked how smooth moonshine and be made.

12. santacore

I think I have one of those unopened, hidden back in my whiskey cabinet. Going to have to dig that out and give it a go.

13. RCBinTN
    Testing the 10-yr Laphroaig based on recos from this thread.
    Completely different taste than other single-malt scotches.  

14. PalJoey

Not all single malt fans like Laphroaig - it is an extreme taste even by Islay standards, and too much for some palates. I love it, and Lagavulin too, which is another polarising brand.

15. labrat
    [​IMG]

First

Back
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
Next

Last