Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Aug 18, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #572 of 1,413

Is it Whiskey, or Bourbon?
And no offense, but is it made by a family member?
wink.gif

I used to make some whisky ( not grain, but sugar and peas based! ) as a student!
Made it 120 proof, full of taste (matured on oak a year usually ), lots of taste but dangerously strong!
Served to Scots some times here in Oslo years after my studying time was over.
Not all came through the attack standing up!

It is a whiskey, and no unfortunately I have no relation to the makers.  I have had actual moonshine made with mead they called it honeyshine and wow; it took 5 gallons of mead to make 1 gallon of it.  It was like mead on steroids and while very sweet it could knock you flat.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #574 of 1,413

-Not a bad suggestion at all. Also, I'd suggest the Isle of Jura - I haven't enjoyed a sip of it in ages, but I have a distinct memory of a very floral, sweet and enjoyable whisky.

Tonight's treat: A Caol Ila 25yo which assaulted me last time I passed through Aberdeen Airport.

Caol Ila - one of my all-time favourites. Very definitely ticks all the Islay boxes, but not as aggressively so as Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #575 of 1,413
  Caol Ila - one of my all-time favourites. Very definitely ticks all the Islay boxes, but not as aggressively so as Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

-Amen. I first found a bottle made before they were last mothballed - a 1987 vintage, I think - in 2000 or so in Moscow, of all places - and I was hooked. Very much thrilled when the resumed production a few years ago.

I mostly stay with Islays - Laphroaig most of the time, but I try to keep a selection of all seven (oops, eight, come to think of it) Islay distilleries' offerings on hand - not that other whiskies aren't excellent, mind - it is just that I've always had a soft spot for Islays - mostly from the southern part of the island, so I am somewhat amused that I appreciate Caol Ila as much as I do - because Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg and also Bowmore are rather more -ahem- in-your-face than Caol Ila has ever been...

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #576 of 1,413
Bruichladdich (Laddie Ten) and Port Charlotte are very nice too, enjoyed them very much.
The taste is imo a bit different then the average malt (in fact they all have their own signature) but I like it.
So many nice whiskies and trying them out is part of the journey.
Below is a sherry bomb and has 60% abv. For me it needs some drops of water, in fact 2 or 3 teaspoons.
After a while it's like a stronger Macallan.

2 'ingredients' of enjoying music:

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #577 of 1,413
Took a trip to Versailles, Kentucky on my vacation and took a tour of the Woodford Distillery. I definitely recommend it. Gorgeous area, and you get a proper whiskey tasting session of the Distiller's Select and Double Oaked at the end (if you're over 21). They also have some nice goodies in the store, if you're into that.

I think my next major vacation will be an extended stay in Kentucky to visit Maker's, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, and maybe more...

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #578 of 1,413
Took a trip to Versailles, Kentucky on my vacation and took a tour of the Woodford Distillery. I definitely recommend it. Gorgeous area, and you get a proper whiskey tasting session of the Distiller's Select and Double Oaked at the end (if you're over 21). They also have some nice goodies in the store, if you're into that.

I think my next major vacation will be an extended stay in Kentucky to visit Maker's, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, and maybe more...

Very nice.  You could travel the Kentucky bourbon trail from Elizabethtown to Lexington.  Hit all the distilleries along the way.

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #581 of 1,413
Colonel E.H. Taylor Single Barrel bourbon, Frankfort, Kentucky
Mmmmm

That sounds good. I admit I have never tried single barrel or single malt bourbon. I need to try some. I have had so superb moonshine, very smooth, was shocked how smooth moonshine and be made.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #583 of 1,413
Testing the 10-yr Laphroaig based on recos from this thread.
Completely different taste than other single-malt scotches.  

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #584 of 1,413
  Testing the 10-yr Laphroaig based on recos from this thread.
Completely different taste than other single-malt scotches.

Not all single malt fans like Laphroaig - it is an extreme taste even by Islay standards, and too much for some palates. I love it, and Lagavulin too, which is another polarising brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back