Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #811 of 1,413
Pick a box, any box...

20180815_143013330_iOS.jpg

For me, it's the Dalwhinnie. Always had a soft spot for that silky smooth taste...

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #812 of 1,413
Sep 27, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #813 of 1,413
Finally completed the collection so thought I would share:

Teeling put away 5 casks in 1988 in preparation for the Centenary Collection, commemorating WWI and some significant events in Irish history. They were released as single cask bottlings annually from 2014-2018 - 250 bottles per year with the exception of 2018 where 225 bottles were released. I guess the angels share was larger in the oldest cask.

I find the 1914 and the 1917 to be my favorites, with the 1914 being one of the best bottles I've had the fortune to enjoy. Those years were special enough that I purchased additional bottles to put aside.

Teeling Centenary.jpg
Teeling Boxes.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #814 of 1,413
NICE

Sep 27, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #816 of 1,413
Growing like crazy, way more expensive, but trump hates us so....could put a nail in it but till then, never had that sandwich...really should

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #817 of 1,413
Finally completed the collection so thought I would share:

Teeling put away 5 casks in 1988 in preparation for the Centenary Collection, commemorating WWI and some significant events in Irish history. They were released as single cask bottlings annually from 2014-2018 - 250 bottles per year with the exception of 2018 where 225 bottles were released. I guess the angels share was larger in the oldest cask.

I find the 1914 and the 1917 to be my favorites, with the 1914 being one of the best bottles I've had the fortune to enjoy. Those years were special enough that I purchased additional bottles to put aside.

Very nice collection. I don't know much about Irish whiskey and I cannot see anything in the photos indicating where these are from. Do you have any more info?

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #818 of 1,413
Very nice collection. I don't know much about Irish whiskey and I cannot see anything in the photos indicating where these are from. Do you have any more info?

Thanks - these are from the Teeling Whiskey Company, https://teelingwhiskey.com/. Each year is a single malt/single cask release - some additional info below. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'd be happy to answer as best I can.

The Centenary Series Whiskey Collection

Things were really kicking off a hundred years ago. As if the excitement of a front row seat to World War I wasn't enough, some in Ireland chose the war years to violently oppose British rule. A limited uprising was succeeded by a successful war of independence and then a civil war. We'll be commemorating blood-soaked centenaries for years to come.

That same period also feels like the birth of the modern era. There were long-distance telephone calls, cinemas, Model T Fords, cubism, general relativity and quantum theory. Aviation milestones were coming thick and fast since the first powered flight only a decade earlier.

The Irish Whiskey Collection has selected five events from this period - one for each year from 1914 to 1918 - to commemorate in whiskey form:

• 1914: James Joyce's collection of short stories, Dubliners, was published.
  • 1915: Hugh Lane, great patron of the arts in Ireland, died when the Lusitania was sunk.
  • 1916: WB Yeats's poem of the same name was written.
  • 1917: John McCormack recorded Keep the Home Fires Burning.
  • 1918: Constance Markievicz was elected to Westminster. She refused to take her seat, choosing to join the first Dáil Éireann in Dublin instead, where she became the first female government minister.

Five casks of single malt, double-distilled in 1988 have been set aside in the Teeling Whiskey Company's warehouse. They were selected for their balance of spice, fruit and wood, according to Alex Chasko, TWC's whiskey wizard, who rates them as "some of the best casks we have in the warehouse".

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #820 of 1,413
Excellent. Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye open for them.

Unfortunately, the Centenary Collection is only retailed at the Irish Whiskey Shop in Dublin airport, although you might find one through a consigner locally. If you do want to pick one up, they still had the 1917 and 1918 available as of a few weeks ago.

Easier to find is the Teeling Revival - it will give you some of the notes of the Centenary collection though it's a little lighter and is significantly less expensive. If you like that, then a flight to Dublin might be worth making.

Another excellent high end Irish Whiskey (IMO) is Midleton Rare. It's probably easier to find than the Teelings.

Will they let you through customs in Scotland carrying Irish Whiskey? :astonished:, Kidding aside, I have to get to Scotland and do a distillery tour one of these days with a side order of golf!

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #821 of 1,413
Funnily enough I'll be at Dublin airport at some time in the next couple of months. I actually meant that I would keep my eyes open for Teeling Whiskey in general. Might have some in the Pot Still in Glasgow.

Popped over to AD Rattray's place in Kirkoswald this afternoon and bought a half bottle of their 30yo North British and a bottle of 13yo Willamsons (Laphroaig).

Sep 28, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #822 of 1,413
Funnily enough I'll be at Dublin airport at some time in the next couple of months. I actually meant that I would keep my eyes open for Teeling Whiskey in general. Might have some in the Pot Still in Glasgow.

Popped over to AD Rattray's place in Kirkoswald this afternoon and bought a half bottle of their 30yo North British and a bottle of 13yo Willamsons (Laphroaig).

Nice! Must be great to have such fantastic local options. We can get good Scotch in the States, but acquiring bottles from the smaller producers or small production lines from the big distillers takes some effort. I usually go to New York City when hunting for those.

Cheers! Enjoy your new acquisitions.

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #824 of 1,413
May not be the most fancy, but good none the less.IMG_20181125_102305.jpg

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #825 of 1,413
JimBeam bourbon whiskey is something that I'm into nowadays. I don't know why I love the taste.

Because Jim Beam makes some of the tastiest whisky in the world!
Jim Beam also makes Booker's bourbon and Knob Creek single barrel (120 proof) bourbon and single barrel rye (115 proof), 3 of which are some of my very favorite liquids in the world! I you like Jim Jeam XYZ, try these other names made by Jim Beam..:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back