Which used headphones should I buy? AKG K701 / ATH-A900
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #16 of 29
If you want a portable DAP for the K701, then this player fits your budget:

https://www.tokopedia.com/alphaomeg...s-sabre-es9038q2m-premium-music-player?whid=0

If you can spend a little more, this DAP will provide more power and control to the K701:

https://www.tokopedia.com/takasuya/...th-dual-chip-es9038q2m-bt5-1-z4-normal?whid=0
Crap, I thought DAP meant DAc and amP. I don't think I need a DAP, sorry for the misunderstanding and taking your time, even for searching on my regional online store...

I only want something barebone, without any bells and whistle, and get something that's cheap that's able to run the K701 beautifully. I feel that the Fiio E17k really fits the bill for me. I found a used one for around $50~60 and it would be able to run the K701 according to this headphone power calculator:
https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

What do you think about it pbui44? I'd say the E17k would be a temporary DAC/amp until I'm able to get my own money. :)

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 29
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/akg-k701-studio-headphones.11862/reviews#review-15007

Hello, this is my first post on this website :)

I'm currently a university student and I live in Indonesia. I need a bit of help on deciding which headphones I should buy, an AKG K701 or ATH-A900.

Why these headphones? I found both of these headphones on sale in the used market and I've grown quite the attachment with these headphones, from the way they look and the reviews I've watched and read on this website. :smile_phones:

Here's a bit of information on the condition of the product:
AKG K701: Made in Austria, has yellowed plastic (presumably due to smoking)
ATH-A900: Was modded with detachable cable, looks like its in a good condition

I don't really care about the conditions of the headphones that much, what I do want to know is, which headphones performs the best.

I'm still new to the audiophile world and I want to upgrade my game and find the best experience with the cash I currently have .
Currently I'm running a Sony MDR-1R (that I purchase used). I don't have any DAC/AMP setup and I usually run it on my phone or laptop.
I would really like to know what your experience was like with these headphones! Thank you in advance! :beyersmile:
Welcome to the web site.

I’m not sure about the ATH-A900, as I have never heard them? Though I did write a review for the AKG k701 headphones. Note above.

I like them a lot and still use them. The pair you get will probably have the small elastic cables worn-out. They interact with the headphones to make it self-adjusting. That’s truly no big deal. They still will fit fine probably. There is a YouTube video where a guy does a rubber-band mod to fix the adjustment mechanism....if you look for it.

Depending on your head size and hair you may have slight issues with the headband bumps? They are protruding down? But I never ever had an issue. They always have been and are today, totally comfortable.

You may want to experiment with different amps to get the best sound. I’ve had them since 2007 and have used numerous amps, some better, some just OK. But it’s a legendary headphone. I will always keep mine.

Though depending on what your used to they may offer quite a different sound signature. I would give yourself maybe three days of listening before you make judgement on the k701 sound. Just give yourself time to acclimate to them! They have a super wide soundstage. Buckets of detail in the midrange, with a 2K spike and a slight treble spike. They have sumptuous treble too! The treble bump may even be responsible for the execution of such a soundstage? The bass is fast and tight but may leave you wanting more depending on your music genres. Mainly with bass heavy music they don’t quite get there. But I’ve heard there is a bass mod for them too, though I have not tried it.

I was surprised how well they played Electronica. They are really focused on singer songwriter stuff. In fact they are still some of the best you’ll find in that musical sub-genre. And for the price you can get a pair now, they are a deal. Also many use them for all the music they listen to. You can adjust to even feeling they do all genres if you try maybe? They are many a members favorite headphone!

They do progressive rock ok, but really vocals and especially female vocals they do effortlessly well.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #19 of 29
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/akg-k701-studio-headphones.11862/reviews#review-15007

Welcome to the web site.

I’m not sure about the ATH-A900, as I have never heard them? Though I did write a review for the AKG k701 headphones. Note above.

I like them a lot and still use them. The pair you get will probably have the small elastic cables worn-out. They interact with the headphones to make it self-adjusting. That’s truly no big deal. They still will fit fine probably. There is a YouTube video where a guy does a rubber-band mod to fix the adjustment mechanism....if you look for it.

Depending on your head size and hair you may have slight issues with the headband bumps? They are protruding down? But I never ever had an issue. They always have been and are today, totally comfortable.

You may want to experiment with different amps to get the best sound. I’ve had them since 2007 and have used numerous amps, some better, some just OK. But it’s a legendary headphone. I will always keep mine.

Though depending on what your used to they may offer quite a different sound signature. I would give yourself maybe three days of listening before you make judgement on the k701 sound. Just give yourself time to acclimate to them! They have a super wide soundstage. Buckets of detail in the midrange and a slight treble peak. They have sumptuous treble too! The treble bump may even be responsible for the execution of such a soundstage? The bass is fast and tight but may leave you wanting more depending on your music genres. Mainly with bass heavy music they don’t quite get there. But I’ve heard there is a bass mod for them too, though I have not tried it.

I was surprised how well they played Electronica. They are really focused on singer songwriter stuff. In fact they are still some of the best you’ll find in that musical sub-genre. And for the price you can get a pair now, they are a deal. Also many use them for all the music they listen to. You can adjust to even feeling they do all genres if you try maybe? They are many a members favorite headphone!

They do progressive rock ok, but really vocals and especially female vocals they do effortlessly well.

Good luck!
Hello Redcarmoose, thanks for the response :)

I do want to test out the K701, though there aren't any store that provide demos on headphones around my area. :upside_down: Even if they do, it's stores from accomplished brands, such as Sony, Bose, and etc., headphones that I can't even afford. Since I can't test any headphones out, I always look at reviews thoroughly and decides from what other peoples think. Reading at your review and response has given much more confidence on buying the K701.

As for the music that I listen to, it is mostly jazz or J-pop. So, not having a lot of bass isn't a problem and knowing that it's especially good at female vocals, makes me want it even more :)

Thank you for taking your time! :)

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #20 of 29

Here is a fantastic review. He talks about the 2K midrange spike. And the treble spike......slight but it makes the character!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #22 of 29
Jan 19, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #23 of 29
Try to get a FiiO e12/a5 instead.
Ooooo... I looked up the e12 and there's one being sold used and its luckily within my budget range.

As for the a5, even though it looks sexy af, sadly its far off my budget XD

Thanks for the recommendation pbui44! :)
I do wish I can buy them all as fast as possible, but I haven't gotten the money yet :frowning2:

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #24 of 29

Here is a fantastic review. He talks about the 2K midrange spike. And the treble spike......slight but it makes the character!

Yep, I've watched his vids. TOP NOTCH Reviews :ok_hand:

Hmmm... interesting, tho sadly I've tried to look at my dad's AVR and it seems one of the board are busted :frowning2:
The audio entering the AVR sounds dirty(?). There are a lot of static noises going out of the speaker, even through the headphone jack on the front of the AVR, there was a lot of static noise going out. :frowning2:

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #25 of 29
Yep, I've watched his vids. TOP NOTCH Reviews :ok_hand:

Hmmm... interesting, tho sadly I've tried to look at my dad's AVR and it seems one of the board are busted :frowning2:
The audio entering the AVR sounds dirty(?). There are a lot of static noises going out of the speaker, even through the headphone jack on the front of the AVR, there was a lot of static noise going out. :frowning2:
The AKG k701 was a favorite of his!

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #26 of 29
I have the FiiO E17K Alpen 2. It’s just a DAC you have to get it a source, but I’ve never tried it with the k701. I will and get back to you tomorrow. That’s super cheap and on the warm side so it may be OK, I don’t know?

Ooooo... I looked up the e12 and there's one being sold used and its luckily within my budget range.

I do wish I can buy them all as fast as possible, but I haven't gotten the money yet :frowning2:
33B9AB13-C7BB-4288-BF46-BFB8D39C07E4.jpeg

https://headfonics.com/the-e17k-alpen-2-dac-by-fiio/

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #27 of 29

Yeah, try to get that FiiO e12 first, then the K701, because the e12 is still one of the best-powered-and-tuned-single-ended portable headphone amps out there and can work with a huge assortment of full-size headphones, while still being able to fit in your pocket.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #28 of 29
Jan 20, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #29 of 29
Yeah, try to get that FiiO e12 first, then the K701, because the e12 is still one of the best-powered-and-tuned-single-ended portable headphone amps out there and can work with a huge assortment of full-size headphones, while still being able to fit in your pocket.
Will do! Thanks for the notice!
I can seem to find my 1/4 inch to 3.5mm adapter. So? No way to test the E17K.
Ah that's a shame. No problem tho, thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back