Which to buy: Senn's HD555 vs. Shure's SRH440 vs. Grado's SR80i
Oct 16, 2009 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

vorlik7

New Head-Fier
edit*** should be the sr60i's...oops >_>
no amps!

I had a previous thread but narrowed it down to these. Thing's I've read around:

HD555 - a bit more expensive than the other two. Requires extensive burn-in. personally, i like the look and they seem comfortable(light). Minimal isolation is a slight bummer but expected from open cans.

Shure's - More recent headphones. Have seen great reviews. good isolation and sound---apparently. A couple of users around here have mentioned bass is lacking, but one has mentioned it's not--mixed.

grado's - ugliest cans ever---hate the retro look, but people treat grado's like gods, so hey.

Again, i'm a beginner when it comes to all this, the only pair i can compare to is the px100's. Any of these I'm sure are an improvement, but which impresses most? Someone's who's had a go at all three would be ideal!

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 16
excuse me...did you just say the Bass on the shure 440 is lacking? :p
They are in my opinion the most powerful bass on 100$ cans, the 840s have the ability to blow your head clean off with sufficient amping.

I own 2 out of the 3 you mentioned, and Id like to know what you plan on using them for. The grado might be the only one you can take and walk around with.

440s - excellent bass, moderately comfy, ears will sweat and get hot after a while. Decent sound stage, designed for studio monitoring, not music enjoyment. But it works very nicely for music. HEAVY cans.

Hd 555 - pretty neutral sounding open backs, they do not color the sound like the 440s or grado will. Lacking bass heavily in my opinion. ( 485s are all around better for music )
They are extremely comfortable, designed for soundstage, meaning movies and maybe gaming. Home theater based things. Music is very nice on them, but IMO not as nice as the 440s for rock and such. Classical is awesome on this. The 440s are nicer for everything else in music.

I've no experience with grado, but out of the two I'd say get the 440 for your music enjoyment especially if you enjoy bass. Avoid the 555 and get the HD 485 instead for music if you are deadset on open backs. Get the Grado if you are out and about, they are much smaller than both.

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 16
Listen to a pair of Grados for an hour, then come back and tell us they are the ugliest cans ever. They grow on you, but the point I'm making is that its more about the sound than the way a pair of headphones looks, at least IMO. That said, the Shures rapidly developed a following here - I guess you need to hear both. Personally, I don't believe the 555s are in the same class, but they also have their fans.

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 16
Even i'm stuck between shure 440s and hd555..estreeter,Can you tell a little more abt your quote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe the 555s are in the same class, but they also have their fans.

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 16
Music genres please?

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 16
Here are my 2 cents on my HD555 in case it might help...

So far, they have provided a very balanced sound, nothing spectacular, but do what is expected of them, efficiently. I really like them for everyday use as they are laid back, easy on the ears, with enough clarity and punch... much in line with the Sennheiser signature. Bass is very correct and mid´s/high´s I find equally good, but again, not mind blowing. After a few days of burn-in, they really find their sweet spot. They are very, very comfortable and light although I personally find the headband/padding a bit too chunky. I´d say these are an above average set at a reasonable price.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks guys. I would love to hear all three, but sadly I can't. It seems that 555 are more for comfort and long term use, while the 440's excel in shorter periods of time. Speaking of which, how long would it take for the 440's to get sweaty and slightly uncomfortable on you?

This is purely for musical entertainment, not so much for movies, or studio work. However, it would be for long periods of time(2-3hours+). I listen to almost anything, but I do go through phases. Currently I'm more concentrated on electronic music.

edit** how does the bass compare on the HD485's to the shure 440's?

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 16
The bass on the 440s are not warm sounding. They are POWERFUL. The bass on the 485s are warm and do not feel artificial, and also have the ability to become powerful but they do not sound artificial. When amped up, my 440s bass sound fake. They weren't designed for a nice bass listening experience, they are just incredibly powerful.

Overall. The best open back for around 100 bucks is the Senn Hd 485. It beats all of the above including the grado in sound. It is the most versatile and in my opinion the most well suited outside of the Grado for music. You won't regret it, I assure you. The 485s do not color the music, they are so warm sounding though, thats the best way for me to describe them. The 440s colored my music, they get really hot after a short time and are so heavy. They do not have a natural sound to them. They are closed back after all

however, as i said if you are out and about get the grado, if you are using home sources like a computer or something like an amp or stereo, get the Sennheisers. What I love about my 485s is they are bass monsters, and the overall sound quality on every genre is excellent. It lacks nowhere. Also, you can buy a shorter cord for dirt cheap anywhere and use that instead. You might need an amp, I use a cowon s9 and the volume is a bit too low for me even maxed out on the mp3 player. A fiio e5 im told will suffice.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 16
I'd like to stay away from amps, so keeping that in mind, does that change your opinion on things at all? It would be for PC-home use primarily. You would recommend the 485's over the 555's and the 440's for longer term music listening ampless still?

Oct 17, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 16
I've used the HD555 and the Grado SR80 with flats, which is almost the same headphone as the SR60. In my opinion, neither is well suited for electronic music - the Senn's are laid back and won't be too engaging while the Grado's don't extend too deep in the bass.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 16
From the ones in my sig, Denon D1001 and Sony V6.

swbf2cheater's recommendations also seem to make sense, but I haven't used those.

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlik7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
way to stump mere there=[

...which would you recommend for electronic music around the $100-$125 budget then?

I´m also into electronic music and was originally looking for some cans that suited that, amongst other music genres. My HD555 cope well, as will most $100 headphones, but they won´t blow you´re mind.

That´s why I´ve been checking out the Grado´s and having tested the sr125 and sr225, one of them will be my next purchase. They are lively in-your face, something I find needing in that type of music.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 16
I must be deaf. I see a posting here saying that the sennheiser hd-485's are good for music.

I must say that I had a pair of the 485's and I thought they sounded horrible. OTOH I bought some sr80's (not the I model) and they sucked me into another dimension.

Could something have been song with the 485s?
I gave them to my niece to use for vs overs and she loved them. She doesn't crank them enough to feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back