Which Subaru WRX STi is best?
Mar 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

basketball

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a car. I really like the WRX STi. Which year of them do you like best?
I really like the "04 and "05. They look sweet, and the exhaust note is bliss.
Its the ideal car for Canadian winters 
If any of you guys own one, please comment, let me know what you think and if you have had any problems with them in terms of engine and transmission.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 52
I am an ex WRX owner and I have driven a few STis and an Evo and I wouldn't recommend buying a used WRX/STi/Evo. I drove mine about as "nice" as anyone ever will and I still beat on that car more than I would an average car. So imagine how beat all the cars owned by 16 year olds trying to impress their friends by doing horrible clutch dumps and pretending to be rally drivers down residential streets. The cars are great at what they were meant to do, its pretty much impossible to not look like a great driver in one, its very good in bad weather, and if you put an exhaust on it is great at scaring grandmas and pissing off your neighbors. But its also not that good at other stuff such as their interiors are very sparse and uncomfortable, not very reliable, get terrible gas mileage, only quick when it comes to acceleration not much on the highway, and don't have much room in them. I bought mine brand new had it for about 2.5 years and by the time I sold it with only 21K mi the transmission/synchros were already giving out. My dealer actually told me that it was a very common issue and that it happens under any driving conditions. If you want a car that is fun and still good in the snow I would recommend a Legacy that way at least there is a better chance it wasn't beat up as much.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 52
Lol thanks for the response.
I like the legacy, but it
Seems more of a car for old people, while the sti is more
or younger people. What mpg are you talking when you say terrible?
So you would avoid sti's with high mileage right?

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 52
I was getting low 20s on the highway, but then again speed limits are more like guidelines to me. I wouldn't recommend any used Sti unless you found one with only one owner and that owner was a grandma who only drove it to church on Sundays. Honestly they are not worth the money. If you are just buying one because of looks buy a regular Impreza and buy a shopping cart wing, flame stickers (that add 500hp), a giant boost gauge (even though you'd  have no turbo) and be done with it. 
Lol thanks for the response.
I like the legacy, but it
Seems more of a car for old people, while the sti is more
or younger people. What mpg are you talking when you say terrible?
So you would avoid sti's with high mileage right?

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 52
I was getting low 20s on the highway, but then again speed limits are more like guidelines to me. I wouldn't recommend any used Sti unless you found one with only one owner and that owner was a grandma who only drove it to church on Sundays. Honestly they are not worth the money. If you are just buying one because of looks buy a regular Impreza and buy a shopping cart wing, flame stickers (that add 500hp), a giant boost gauge (even though you'd  have no turbo) and be done with it. 

Well low 20's isn't that bad. I will definitely look into the number of owner and I will do a carfax, that is if I decide on buying one.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 52
Well it's about how hard you would drive either. I think the wrx sti would be driven harder. The sti is also more suitable for Canadian winters since its AWD against the 335i's. I guess you can also get the 335i in AWD but it'll be extra $$.
Which cars have longer warrentys?

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 52
I almost bought the WRX 2012 and ordered it in October.  I went with my younger brother to see if we can cut a deal on 2 cars.  After leaving the dealership and deciding to try another Subaru dealership, my mother found out... she was cool with the younger one buying a new car, but not me (30 yrs old, married, and still living in a co-op). She persuaded me to look into a house down the street and lo and behold I bought that house just a few weeks ago... instead of the car.

Well, I'm jealous (sounds girlie, but I am)... my little brother bought the car in the color I wanted, and exactly how I wanted it.  His car... ROCKS!!

In the summer of 2008 I looked for a WRX, for the older (~2006) model b/c that was my favorite.  Now, I've taken a liking for the new design.

After my brother put in a good chunk of change into straight pipes, intake, boost gauges (he did it all himself) - and he had the boost adjusted at a shop.  The difference was substantial.
His car as just as fast, if not faster than the STi... of course the STi has better suspension, brakes, etc, but his WRX really man handles the road.  It sounds awesome, looks awesome, performs awesome.

The STi is the car I've always wanted, but if I'm to buy a car again, I think I will do what my brother did... since I'd have the car as my daily car and wouldn't want a suspension too tight likt the STi anyway.  2 of my buddies let me ride their STis a few years back and I remember it being uncomfortable if we had to take a long ride (speed limit) anywhere... too stiff for a daily car.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #13 of 52
True... my brother definitely wishes it were 6-speed, but fragile I haven't heard about... I assume the people who say it's fragile are the ones that have added horsepower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back