Which SoundMagic? PL 11, 12, 18 or 20?
Nov 14, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #31 of 65
@DunninLA: It is a bit off-topic (this thread is not about PL30) but it is true that the sound quality of PL30 is very dependent of getting a good seal. Many reviewers reported it, and I have to agree (I own PL30s).

Back to PL11-PL20. In the large PL30 thread, Brestinder hinted about the sound quality of PL11 and PL12: Quote:

Originally Posted by Brestinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PL12 for me are 1:1 the same thing as Crossroads X3, they are very nice too, but PL30 are better. I never heard CR XB but i think they sound like PL11.
PL11 PL12 for 9$ they are very very nice (nothing better for that very low budget)

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #32 of 65
I agree PL-12 is very similar to crossroads X3i that I have, design and soundwise.
PL-18, that I have too, sounds probably more like crossroads SVi,although I haven`t heard this one.
I still prefer PL-12 over PL-30, because of the design, better build and because I can get a better isolation with the PL-12. Both PL.12 and expecially 18 improves a great deal with burn in. Anyway, PL-12 for around 9 dollars is in my opinion a very good deal and you have to come up with
5-8 folds the money to find anything significant better.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #33 of 65
So you guys are saying that SoundMAGIC PL11/12/18 are pretty much like CrossRoads MylarOne, both in terms of sound quality and sound signatures.

- PL12 would sound like X3i (a very balanced sound signature)
- PL18 would sound like SVi (less bass but very clear and detailed treble)
- PL11 would sound like XBi (a lot of punchy bass)

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you guys are saying that SoundMAGIC PL11/12/18 are pretty much like CrossRoads MylarOne, both in terms of sound quality and sound signatures.

- PL12 would sound like X3i (a very balanced sound signature)
- PL18 would sound like SVi (less bass but very clear and detailed treble)
- PL11 would sound like XBi (a lot of punchy bass)

Yes, I agree on that statement. Seems like they have copied the crossroads
lineup in terms of soundquality and build as well. Pl-12 looks very much like a crossroad mylarone X series design,but actually the Pl-12 seems to have a more solid build. Crossroads X series tends to break the cord easy if you´re not careful with them. Again for less than 10 dollars, Pl-12 sounds incredible good, maybe not a giant killer, but for me, they have a great sound quality to take to the gym or other places where I don`t have to worry about being too careful with the way I treat them.

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #35 of 65
Focalprice raised the price of these PL11-PL20 by 6 bucks, like they did earlier for PL30.
mad.gif
A side effect of the good reviews?

Edit (2008-12-31): Focalprice dropped the price by 3 bucks.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my PL12. They are definitely not for bassheads, but they sound really good. I am impressed by the soundstage.

Sounds interesting.
Where we are by a comparsion between PL30?
Better or less good?

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #39 of 65
I prefer the the PL-12 over the PL-30 as well. Better soundstage, more clear sound, better speed, less and better definition in bass. Easier to find a seal with the PL-12 and I don´t spend time constantly adjusting the wire around my ear or trying to find a correct seal, as I do with the PL-30. I believe all the soundmagics uses the same 9mm dynamic driver, just different designs.
One of the reasons the PL-30 are more expensive, is that it comes with more accessories (a nice case), a pricier looking package and that the design is not the typically generic design.
But in my opinion it is not the best sounding of the soundmagic products.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by silkeborg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the the PL-12 over the PL-30 as well. Better soundstage, more clear sound, better speed, less and better definition in bass. Easier to find a seal with the PL-12 and I don´t spend time constantly adjusting the wire around my ear or trying to find a correct seal, as I do with the PL-30. I believe all the soundmagics uses the same 9mm dynamic driver, just different designs.
One of the reasons the PL-30 are more expensive, is that it comes with more accessories (a nice case), a pricier looking package and that the design is not the typically generic design.
But in my opinion it is not the best sounding of the soundmagic products.

Well I have using some Kanon MD-52 for a half year which is some cheap chinese earphones as well and I am sure these using the same 9mm dynamic driver like PL30 and they even sound better than PL30.
So it doesn't surprise me they doing that thing.
Think I may have to try out PL12 as well.
icon10.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #41 of 65
I know bumping a year old thread as my first post, I'm evil, but I think this question is still relevant because FocalPrice just dropped their prices on the Soundmagic products. And I was just wondering if the PL20s come recommended at all, and if they have a J or Y cord?

Also, if anyone has some new opinions between all the PLs, I'm still looking to buy a set to replace my PL30s.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #42 of 65
This thread is not that old.
wink.gif

I recently got the PL20, but I have had little time to try them. My first impression is that I like them at least as much as the PL12 (better design, slightly more bass). They have a J cord.

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #43 of 65
Wow thanks for the speedy reply Bombyx. Seems like you have all of them, which one do you recommend most?

I'm not a huge fan of bass, but it's not like I want it gone, but I hate the ones with overwhelming bass. I do like clear vocals and listening to the instruments. J cords kinda suck, but it wouldn't change my opinion by a whole lot. I'm thinking about going for the PL20s just because they look kind of cool, but I think the PL12s are the way to go?

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #44 of 65
Do not worry, neither PL12 nor PL20 are very bassy, the difference is quite subtle. I prefer PL12's Y cord too, but the PL20 definitely look better (and L/R are much easier to tell apart).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back