Which Set?
Jan 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

whitedragon551

100+ Head-Fier
Ive narrowed my initial search down and these are the models Ive come up with. I'm looking for tonal balance where the mids and highs blend with the bass, but not one area is over powering. Warm sounding, not bright. My budget was around $100. Doesn't need to be exactly portable. Ill be using them while I'm at university or at home, but I will probably take them with me on 3 hour trips to see family as well. I would like a removable or replaceable cord since my kids like to leave them out for my cats to snack on. Ive narrowed my search down to these models:

Sony MDR ZX700 - ~$95 on eBay
Shure SRH840- ~$120 on eBay through a regular person, much more through a legit shop on eBay. ~$130-$160.
Sennheiser HD555- ~115 used on eBay, ~$160 new from a legit shop on eBay.
AKG K240 Studio- ~100 on eBay through a shop.
Audio Technica M50- ~$140 for a demo set through eBay. ~$160 new from a legit shop.

From what Ive read the ATM50's are a bit bass heavy so they may be out of the mix. Ive also read the AKG's have a bright side to the highs so they may be out as well.

I have read about the mod you can do on the HD555's to make them sound close to identical with the HD595's. I was originally leaning towards the Shure SRH840's.

I'm not sure if the Shure SRH840's or the Sennheisers are worth it. I'm kind of stuck between those two. Id like to buy from an authorized dealer, but I don't think my budget will allow that. Most authorized dealers are sitting at $200 for each set.

Based on my needs and budget which would be the best set here? Any other suggestions I should look at that fit this bill? Thanks for the help in advance. Im looking to pull the trigger quickly.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 5
as a MOT, I do not want to promote my shop, or brands we sell, but i would be very wary of low-ball pricing, e.g., the Shures being sold below dealer cost- i'd wonder what you are getting for the price - are they used?  Keep in mind that not buying thru authorized channels means no warranty, and most likely, no return privileges...

If you are buying used gear from private parties, then the price should reflect that you are not getting any of the advantages from buying thru an authorized dealer.

I'd be careful, and take clear note of the value involved in the transaction, and not just the price.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Ive narrowed my initial search down and these are the models Ive come up with. I'm looking for tonal balance where the mids and highs blend with the bass, but not one area is over powering. Warm sounding, not bright. My budget was around $100. Doesn't need to be exactly portable. Ill be using them while I'm at university or at home, but I will probably take them with me on 3 hour trips to see family as well. I would like a removable or replaceable cord since my kids like to leave them out for my cats to snack on. Ive narrowed my search down to these models:

Sony MDR ZX700 - ~$95 on eBay
Shure SRH840- ~$120 on eBay through a regular person, much more through a legit shop on eBay. ~$130-$160.
Sennheiser HD555- ~115 used on eBay, ~$160 new from a legit shop on eBay.
AKG K240 Studio- ~100 on eBay through a shop.
Audio Technica M50- ~$140 for a demo set through eBay. ~$160 new from a legit shop.

From what Ive read the ATM50's are a bit bass heavy so they may be out of the mix. Ive also read the AKG's have a bright side to the highs so they may be out as well.

I have read about the mod you can do on the HD555's to make them sound close to identical with the HD595's. I was originally leaning towards the Shure SRH840's.

I'm not sure if the Shure SRH840's or the Sennheisers are worth it. I'm kind of stuck between those two. Id like to buy from an authorized dealer, but I don't think my budget will allow that. Most authorized dealers are sitting at $200 for each set.

Based on my needs and budget which would be the best set here? Any other suggestions I should look at that fit this bill? Thanks for the help in advance. Im looking to pull the trigger quickly.

Don't know where you live but you should try sites like kijiji and craigslist. That way you could meet the person, try on the headphones, and decide whether you want them.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Don't know where you live but you should try sites like kijiji and craigslist. That way you could meet the person, try on the headphones, and decide whether you want them.

No where where anyone has anything of quality.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 5
I just bought a ZX700 and it has been incredibly balanced so far. It's far closer in it's signature to the 5XX range than I thought it could be for a closed back can. To somebody looking at the 558 and the ZX700 I'd have to say, either save up for the HD600 and a decent amp or go for the ZX700, it's a bargain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back