Which set of Headphones is right for me?
Dec 9, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #31 of 35
The K240s sound sig isn't much different than the DT770s, IMO... I think the AKGs sound more transparent and less muddy, and they DO have great bass. You should try them all before you choose, though, only your ears can tell you which one you prefer

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #32 of 35
That's some nice music you've got listed there, though I don't know how much it would benefit from audiophile headphones... I think your best bet is to go with something more fun and less revealing, because revealing on a Kanye West song isn't going to enhance it, it's going to bring out anomalies that you otherwise wouldn't likely hear. Take it from a fan of Mr. West. Of all those, I think the M50 is your best bet though I have not heard any of them. I've heard the next up in the SRH series and to me they don't sound like a fun pair, and they certainly won't do exceptionally well with your music, which seems to have more of a bass emphasis. The M50 will likely be a good choice.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #33 of 35

My local Guitar Center has them so I think I'll buy them and test them out, I'll also be using an E5 amp so that should bring out some bass. Have you ever used the HD 485s and if so how does the bass of the K240 compare to them?
Quote:
The K240s sound sig isn't much different than the DT770s, IMO... I think the AKGs sound more transparent and less muddy, and they DO have great bass. You should try them all before you choose, though, only your ears can tell you which one you prefer

I do love Kanye but the bulk of what I'll be listening to is progressive metal or rock, and I want to hear every instrument clearly.

Quote:
That's some nice music you've got listed there, though I don't know how much it would benefit from audiophile headphones... I think your best bet is to go with something more fun and less revealing, because revealing on a Kanye West song isn't going to enhance it, it's going to bring out anomalies that you otherwise wouldn't likely hear. Take it from a fan of Mr. West. Of all those, I think the M50 is your best bet though I have not heard any of them. I've heard the next up in the SRH series and to me they don't sound like a fun pair, and they certainly won't do exceptionally well with your music, which seems to have more of a bass emphasis. The M50 will likely be a good choice.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #35 of 35

they sound nice unamped on a portable device but lack bass impact,fullness in overall sound,detail in the soundstage compared to being amped. there studio headphones so it's common sense they need decent amplification to sound there best. they are very natrual sounding to my ears so there very enjoyable when it comes to wind and string instruments. also female vocals sound wonderful.
Quote:
So do I need an amp for the K-240s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back