Which Portable Amp? Totally confused....
Oct 19, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #31 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well there's an 80 AND 32 ohm model?

There's a 32ohm 990 too. The impedance point has nothing to do with the model number, all the high end Beyers have various impedances available.

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #32 of 68
How much research have you done (searching here) on the differences between the T4 and IM? My understanding is there is a relatively big difference between the SQ of the two when the IM is used only as an amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViKiD™ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Average_joe.... Size difference was not much...but the weight increased quite a bit...but as i stated earlier i need the Video and Photos functionality/feature...since i carry most of my reference pictures on the D2 for sketching (being a Animation Student).And plenty of Maya video tutorials...

Let me correct my question from before:
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what are the size differences between the D2+ boa and AMP3?

I am just saying if you are considering an amp, the AMP3 is a good choice as an amp IMO, forgetting about the DAP functionality. Sounds like you will be feeding an amp with the D2, and since the D2+ boa looks about the same size as the AMP3 from pictures, why throw that amp out (other than the hiss issue with some IEMs)?

I am not trying to be pushy, just trying to help you make an informed decision.

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #33 of 68
Hmm....sorry i misunderstood...Size difference is not much...with the AMP3 being slightly smaller....

I just checked out the AMP3 again...i think il use it for another day or 2 and then decide ..
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #34 of 68
No problem. And since you have the E5, compare the two and see how big of a difference there is between the two for you. I think there will be a bigger difference between the AMP3 and E5 than between the E5 and T4 (or IM). And as stated earlier, the T4 amp section is better than the amp section in the D2+ boa.

The biggest plus with the AMP3 in my experience is the transparency/space/resolution it seems to add compared with other amps I have heard in the lower price range, and even more expensive amps. And again, the biggest negative is the hiss with some IEMs
frown.gif

Pics: 1, 2, 3, 4

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #35 of 68
Hiss with IEMs is probably a dealbreaker for ANY portable amp, as IEMs are undoubtedly the most popular portable listening devices.

For the same price as the Amp3 the OP would also be getting a DAC, making that device more versatile in my opinion than something that includes an audio player (redundant, they already have one.)

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #36 of 68
I agree hiss can be an issue, but it depends on the IEM, genre (how quiet is the music), and personal tolerance. But as I shared earlier, I was not impressed with some of the offerings out there when compared to the E5, including the IM and more expensive amps. The AMP3 has it's strength's and weaknesses. Luckily ViKiD™ can try out the AMP3 for a few days before possible purchase.

And if ViKiD™ already has a good sound card, is the DAC of a $100 amp going to add anything, or just be a waste?

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #37 of 68
Having a good soundcard is the only factor which is keeping me away from the AMP/DAC combo .... also i guess the im kinda liking the AMP 3 bass response
tongue.gif

As for the difference between the E5 and the AMP3 ... its HUGE!

E5 is IMO , basically for low - Mid range IEM's like the PL30's/CX500's/NE-6m's etc .... which somewhat lack in the bass department for some...

One more thing i observed with the E5 was that the soudstage suffered somewhat when the Bassboost was on....on the other hand on the AMP3 this seemed to pretty unnoticeable...but this is just what i observed last night..

Also this Uber rich Brat Friend of mine got his 990's along! ... he's using them with some Zero DAC he has back home....and a Creative Xtreme Gamer S/C ...

The DT990's felt a little underpowered @ somewhat mid volume levels....but cranking it up led to slightly better SQ .... it was a totally different story with the DAC at his place.. (my feet still because of the countless rounds i have made to his house
frown.gif
)

So im thinking of dropping the DT990's for now ...and getting the Sennheiser IE8's only...

AMP decision will be made in a couple of more days
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViKiD™ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having a good soundcard is the only factor which is keeping me away from the AMP/DAC combo .... also i guess the im kinda liking the AMP 3 bass response
tongue.gif

My only reason would be for when I go somewhere and could use the DAC with my laptop, but my portable rig would be with me, so it really wouldn't matter.

Quote:

As for the difference between the E5 and the AMP3 ... its HUGE!

E5 is IMO , basically for low - Mid range IEM's like the PL30's/CX500's/NE-6m's etc .... which somewhat lack in the bass department for some...

I do think there is a HUGE difference between the E5 and AMP3, and as stated before, didn't hear that huge difference with other amps. Which is why I am such a strong AMP3 supporter
smily_headphones1.gif

But I think the E5 is actually better with higher end headphones, as I really couldn't hear a difference with the lower end stuff, unless I used the bass boost. But the AMP3 still holds a huge advantage over the E5, regardless.

The AMP3 makes a lot of lower end headphones sound so much better. I actually don't think it works well the the NE-6 (or NE-7) unless you have an impedance adapter, which for some reason helps the soundstage gain a lot of the front to back potion I think they are missing.

Quote:

So im thinking of dropping the DT990's for now ...and getting the Sennheiser IE8's only...

AMP decision will be made in a couple of more days
smily_headphones1.gif

The IE8's are great for trance!

Looking forward to your decision after all this posting
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #39 of 68
^ Aye mayty!

Ill surely let you guys know...what ever i decide on...

btw does anyone here know how to get Unamped out from a Cowon D2 ....

I researched quite a bit ...but the only solution i have reached so far is to turn off all the BBE settings make the EQ flat..and turn the volume all the way up to 49-50 ...

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #40 of 68
What's wrong with that? IDK if thats how you do it anyways. Dont know much about cowons. I'd suggest the IE8 with a taming amp, like the D10 if you feel the DAC function is useful, the T3, or the P3+ for pure amp power. Tames my IE8s bass with the right buffers

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #41 of 68
you won't get better than 49 with all settings off on D2. But still, you won't get much separation even with an amp. The AMP3 (I have now) is a good amp (even if you don't use the player functions (I won't really), but mine Pro2, at least, hisses like mad. I can hear it too much with my DJ1Pro professional headphones with 64 ohms and even added 75 ohms resistance.

Does it sound good? Great if you can get rid of the hiss, but this is the most hissy source I have used heavily in years. Mine may be faulty, I am unsure, but if it isn't, I cannot recommend it for IEM use at all.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #42 of 68
you won't get better than 49 with all settings off on D2. But still, you won't get much separation even with an amp. The AMP3 (I have now) is a good amp (even if you don't use the player functions (I won't really), but mine Pro2, at least, hisses like mad. I can hear it too much with my DJ1Pro professional headphones with 64 ohms and even added 75 ohms resistance.

Does it sound good? Great if you can get rid of the hiss, but this is the most hissy source I have used heavily in years. Mine may be faulty, I am unsure, but if it isn't, I cannot recommend it for IEM use at all.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #43 of 68
^ Noted
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Pro1 doesn't sound as hissy as yours. I have hiss issues only with my Cresyn C750E and Denon C710. There is hiss with other IEMs, but I don't notice it unless I have them in and unplug them/plug them in.

Everyone has their own tolerance for hiss, but there could be manufacturing variances, or the unit could even be faulty.

ViKiD™, how is the hiss for you?

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #45 of 68
with the PL30's yes quite noticeable and not to mention slightly irritating...but with the Denon 751's....its almost non existent...i dont know why but..the Denon's should be more hissy here...

Also i didn't find the Denon 751's to be having any kind of over piercing treble as most of the people seem to suggest...ill still wait for another 60-80 hrours with before and solid comments though....

Bass is again the forte here...the SQ is just the way i want it to be...now im wondering will the Sennheiser IE8 make much of a difference? (I know they will....but still
tongue.gif
)

btw. i was just just checking out this thread....

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/f...o-more-436942/

and i think the E7 is actually worth the wait...or is worth another investment?
What do you peepz say?..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back