Which Portable Amp? Totally confused....
Oct 18, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #16 of 68
OK, let me try to clear things up.

#1 - if you are using your D2, IMO the best bang for your buck is new IEMs, depending on the sound signature you like (return the 751 and get something better
smily_headphones1.gif
). It most likely will add much more than any amp from your D2. Now, if you want a DAC/amp, that is another thing.

In the under $150 DAC/amp category I only know of the Icon Mobile and upcoming Fiio E7 in the portable category.

You could also get a T4 and a $50 computer DAC like something from Hotaudio.

So, what exactly are you looking for? An amp for your D2, a DAC/amp for your computer, or both.

Anyways, I was in a similar situation, trying to figure out how I was really going to use things, and what a good value for an amp would be. I got an E5 and an Icon Mobile and not to long after bought a sound card. From my Fuze headphone out, I thought the E5 and Icon Mobile didn't add anything compared to just using the headphone out. Actually, I thought both amps sounded a little worse. Things are different now that I use a LOD with my Fuse (at least with the E5, didn't have the LOD when I had the Icon Mobile).

The Icon Mobile was good from my computer, much better than from my Fuze, but my sound card sounded much better than the Icon Mobile from a soundstage standpoint, much wider and more 3D. And the bass of the sound card was also way better than the Icon Mobile, so I returned it.

When I listened to some $250+ amps at Can Jam via my Fuze LOD, and comparing with my E5 via my IE8, I wasn't really too impressed for the money. The sound signature was similar, and they didn't seem to add too much.

I think the AMP3 used as an amp offers a bigger improvement, especially for the price (not saying to replace the D2, but if you want an amp for the D2). Could be the listening environment (Can Jam), burn in, extended listening, synergy, but for the $160 of the AMP3, I am super impressed. The DAP function and earbuds are just added value IMO. I also use the AMP3 from the line out of my sound card as it has a different sound signature than my sound card and sounds very very good with certain headphones.

It is a tough decision, hope this cleared stuff up somewhat.

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 68
Hmmmm....i get what your trying to say ....

Let me put it this way....

Basically i need a good amp for my D2 .... a DAC for the PC will be a added feature...(i have a Xonar D2X in my PC)

The only reason im inclining towards the Icon mobile is because of the DAC thingy ....nothing else..

Also i chose the 751's after trying my friends out...and i really loved the bass....they were actually right for me (Maybe not for other people)....

Also i dont like the AMP3 ...just because i kinda find it bulky (Just asked the friend to bring his over) .... Please see this is just my Personal Opinion ....

Portability is a very huge deciding factor here....i considered the T4 also...but again for the same price i.e 100 $'s ... the Icon makes more sense....

PS: I was awestruck with the AMP3's audio quality with the PL-30's and the AD700's ....plain awesome!!!! ...My hD555's now actually sounded bassy!!
Only drawback for me was the bulk ...

Oct 18, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #18 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViKiD™ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically i need a good amp for my D2 .... a DAC for the PC will be a added feature...(i have a Xonar D2X in my PC)

The only reason im inclining towards the Icon mobile is because of the DAC thingy ....nothing else..

My question is, would the DAC of a $100 portable amp be equal or better than a D2X? I personally don't think so, and the IM wasn't as good as my Prodigy HiFi sound card, so you really wouldn't be gaining anything IMO.

Quote:

Please see this is just my Personal Opinion ....

All this stuff is our opinions, and you gotta do what is best for you. I respect member's choices, and a big thanks for being polite
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Portability is a very huge deciding factor here....i considered the T4 also...but again for the same price i.e 100 $'s ... the Icon makes more sense....

From my reading, the amp section of the T4 sounds better than the IM. So, if you don't need the DAC (and sounds like you really don't, at least that is my thought) is go for the T4.

Quote:

PS: I was awestruck with the AMP3's audio quality with the PL-30's and the AD700's ....plain awesome!!!! ...My hD555's now actually sounded bassy!!
Only drawback for me was the bulk ...

I do carry the AMP3 around in my pocket connected to my Fuze with an impedance adapter, but the IM is much thinner, therefore a lower overall profile. And I can understand, it is not for everyone, it is just that I think it is an excellent bargain and IMO a big step up from the E5, whereas I am not sure how much of a step up the IM and T4 will be, especially depending on the headphones you use with it from the headphone out of your D2. But NuForce has a great return policy!

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #19 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is, would the DAC of a $100 portable amp be equal or better than a D2X? I personally don't think so, and the IM wasn't as good as my Prodigy HiFi sound card, so you really wouldn't be gaining anything IMO.

Well i was not aware of this one...
ksc75smile.gif

If this is the case...then i say the T4 makes more sense?? (But the price is a ummmm..a little unjustified?

What would you recommend as only a portable amp?

Again Budget 100$ ..but can add another 50 $'s ...if its really worth it...

Also i might be a grabbing my Sisters iPo0d touch 32GB ...so would also like to invest in a good LOD cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #20 of 68
The T3 will probably be the best amp you can get for 100 bucks. The T4 is not injustified at all. It is designed for IEMs and as IEMs cant get that much of a benefit, you dont need a huge, superb amp with a great power supply. Get the T4 or wait for the T3

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #21 of 68
Hmmm...grrrr...more confusion!
mad.gif

So T3 is again going to be priced @ 100$'s?

Also what about powering the DT990's?

will any of these be enough? or a dedicated DAC is necessary.?

Also hoes the Pico Slim?

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #22 of 68
Are you going to be using your portable setup to listen to the DT990's?

So, your options are:
E5: you have and $0
T4: A step up from the E5 for $99
T3: To be released, price TBD, reported to be better all around than the T4
Icon Mobile: reported that the amp section is as good as the T4, $99
E7: Same amp chips as the E5, but better surrounding circuitry, $80 and availability TBD

Pico Slim will probably be around $200

Shadow is what, around $350

That is the small lineup, at least from what I know, I may have missed some.

Personally I would wait for the T3.

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 68
Keep guessing...the Pico Slim is going to come in at around $350, with no DAC, and the Shadow is actually $395 if you don't get in on the preorder.

The Pico with DAC is $499 plus ship.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #24 of 68
Wayyy....over the budget.....

So im again back to the T4/IM/D2+ Boa .... i actually cant wait more than a week...

and yes ill be using the DT990's with the portable setup...

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #25 of 68
Just out of curiosity, what are the size differences between the D2 and AMP3?

And if you can't wait a week, seems the T4 would be the best for the situation as you described it.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #26 of 68
Well its not like one will be hugely alot better than the other. You can't really synchronize a DT990 with a T4, nor any of the other amps uve mentioned, or any portable amp in general. It will improve though. Do you already have the DT990? if not id get the DT 770 for portable use instead. And why do u want the D2+ Boa if you dont need the DAC section? I see this way too often. It's bigger, but has a worse amp section than the t4 and t3, believe it or not.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #27 of 68
The DT700 250 ohm isn't any easier to drive than the DT990 250ohm. I don't know why you'd recommend the 770 for portable use, beyond that they leak marginally less sound than the 990? They sound very different, but are physically the same size almost exactly.

As far as amps, the T4 will drive the 250ohm 990 fine. The 600ohm, forget it, but the 990/250 drives OK out of a decent headphone jack, never mind a small amp.

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #28 of 68
I already have the 700's ....so dont wanna go for the 770's ....

DT 990's have been finalised and ill be placing the order soon....

So i think ill settle for the T4 then....but then again since there is not much difference between the T4 and the Im ....price as well as the performance...then why not the IM ....

Also if the DT990's will be tougher to drive for the T4/IM ....then any other HP's in the same price category which can be paired with the T4/IM?

I am asking this since i have not made the payment as yet...

Please pardon me for being very no0bish ... most of my posts might sound very irritating...but please bear with me since im new into this territory
smily_headphones1.gif

@Average_joe.... Size difference was not much...but the weight increased quite a bit...but as i stated earlier i need the Video and Photos functionality/feature...since i carry most of my reference pictures on the D2 for sketching (being a Animation Student).And plenty of Maya video tutorials...

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT700 250 ohm isn't any easier to drive than the DT990 250ohm. I don't know why you'd recommend the 770 for portable use, beyond that they leak marginally less sound than the 990? They sound very different, but are physically the same size almost exactly.

As far as amps, the T4 will drive the 250ohm 990 fine. The 600ohm, forget it, but the 990/250 drives OK out of a decent headphone jack, never mind a small amp.

Well there's an 80 AND 32 ohm model?

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 68
Forget the amp and get some bass heavy qality IEMs is my add here. I wouldn't reccommend walking around with velour and chrome on your ears- That's just me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back