Which part of the frequency spectrum is responsible for "soundstage" and "imaging"?
Apr 1, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #31 of 69
I can say with 163% confidence that this device does more than only alter phase. even the most basic crossfeed will also mix channels with changes in delay and frequency response.

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #32 of 69
Apr 1, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #33 of 69
Check out the "distant voice"...

Ok point taken....and talented guy....someone should sign him....i didn't say frequency response wasn't important...absolute phase from start to finnish adds a sense of realistic imaging that is beyond frequency response....thats what makes our planar headphones so attractive...no crossovers and no extra drivers to meess up phase info.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #34 of 69
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #35 of 69
Why hearing both speakers with both ears is an advantage? Never is such an strong word...

Because that is how it (was) mixed. Not even intended for headphones.

I think todays sound is mastered for crappy earbuds, bluetooth speakers and car stereos.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #36 of 69
Because that is how it (was) mixed. Not even intended for headphones.

I think todays sound is mastered for ****ty earbuds, bluetooth speakers and car stereos.

I wish they'd stop. Or release one garbage version for Spotify, Apple Music, or any other mainstream streaming service, and another well-mixed and mastered version for everything else like iTunes purchases, Tidal, other music purchasing services.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #37 of 69
I wish they'd stop. Or release one garbage version for Spotify, Apple Music, or any other mainstream streaming service, and another well-mixed and mastered version for everything else like iTunes purchases, Tidal, other music purchasing services.

But that is not how capitalism works. Nor sound design. Customer demand vs. supply (The customer today demands electronic music with autotune elements and it must sound "cool" on headphones.)

The problem is that new music is being released daily where there is already distortion present - but not intended to be a stylistic element! Its just overdriven. Hard. Nobody in the damn studio even noticed.
The bassdrum, if you make it that for... (2017?)
The bass again... (2008)

The other way to record stuff:

(One could argue the drums have way too much "room", but I think it fits the mix giving a sense of intimacy and familiarity which equates to musicality :p

How is phase even important in todays pop music? It is not. Its only for weird people that listen to music with real instruments. But they are dying out fast.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #38 of 69
Still think phase information is more important than frequency response for imaging/soundstaging.

The thing is that things like phase and ITD are well-defined, as opposed to 'imaging' and 'soundstage'.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #42 of 69
What is phase information? What does 90 degrees sound like?
180 degrees out of absolute phase causes cancellation.....this is used for noise cancelling systems....that would make it the enemy of sound reproduction...this is likely more important in speaker based system as the speakers are working into the same space.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #44 of 69
But that is not how capitalism works. Nor sound design. Customer demand vs. supply (The customer today demands electronic music with autotune elements and it must sound "cool" on headphones.)

The problem is that new music is being released daily where there is already distortion present - but not intended to be a stylistic element! Its just overdriven. Hard. Nobody in the damn studio even noticed.
The bassdrum, if you make it that for... (2017?)
The bass again... (2008)

The other way to record stuff:

(One could argue the drums have way too much "room", but I think it fits the mix giving a sense of intimacy and familiarity which equates to musicality :p

How is phase even important in todays pop music? It is not. Its only for weird people that listen to music with real instruments. But they are dying out fast.

I know. But I can dream can’t I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back