Which ones for Trance/EDM/Hardstyle?
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jchu

New Head-Fier
Wondering which ones should I get for trance, edm, and hardstyle music?

Ultrasone Pro 750 (Can get them for $215)
Ultrasone HFI-780
Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 OHM

Open to other options too
Using these with a Xonar DX w/ 320 bit rate mp3 files
Budget is <$250-$300
For 100% home use. (Music, movies, a just a bit of gaming)
Size isn't really a problem.
Over-ear is required
These are going to be my first headphones

Also, are there any good bassy open-back cans for these types of genres?
Thanks in advance

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 7
I was actually about to suggest TWO good open-back headphones for these genres - both from Ultrasone. The HFI-2400 and PRO2900. I don't know how they would compare to the PRO750 or HFI-780 though, as I've heard neither of those. :xf_eek:

I think the HFI-2400 would be a good candidate for you though, assuming the PRO2900 aren't on sale right now (sometimes they drop down fairly low in price, other times they sell for nearly full MSRP (like $600)).

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 7
I narrowed it down to the Ultrasones HFI 2400 and Pro 750s.
I've read that these suit the genre's I listen to very well.
Now the decision is whether I want to go open or closed.

These will be only used indoors at home on my PC.
I want hard-hitting bass and lots of clarity in my music overall.
The Pro 750s seem a better buy because they retail for more, but they are available at the same price as the 2400s.

The pro 2900s and HE-400s are out of my price range so they're out of the picture.

The biggest disadvantage for me right now is that there is nowhere local where I can audition these.
Also, what are some good amps that would compliment these well for under 100? (Used is fine)
I mainly want the amp a physical volume adjustment knob because it's very annoying to do it manually on the computer.

Any inputs? Thanks!

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 7
The SRP doesn't really dictate quality, so I wouldn't get too hung on that. I know the HFI-2400 will perform for what you want, and I don't know the PRO750, so I would suggest HFI-2400. That said, I think the PRO750 should be fine too (it's an Ultrasone, and I feel comfortable suggesting it based on that). Either way, Amazon or Beach should be selling them, so just go with one, and if you don't like it, return and exchange for the other. :)

As far as amplification, the FiiO E9 is a good choice for under $100.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 7
Was about to pull the trigger on the 2400s, but I feel like I should get the 750s to get punchier bass.
I have the Turbine Pro Coppers and I really like the bass on these. Can anyone compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back